Chrome Circle by Mercedes Lackey

Chrome Circle (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:Yfandes
Title:Chrome Circle
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Baen (1994), Paperback

Chrome Circle by Mercedes Lackey (1994)

Tannim's been given his marching orders to visit his family and pick up a new worker for his home elves. Little does he know there is a woman on his case and hunting him down with a vengeance. Or is it really a woman? Is he really being hunted?

This novel is another thrilling instalment in the SERRAted Edge series. Tannim is a car mage and a race car driver but he's also the human contact for a whole conclave of elves.

Shar! Ah, once again Lackey have succeeded with retelling things from multiple perspectives yet still keeping the narrative line clear and enjoyable. So very enjoyable. Perhaps I would have liked a little more balance from the bad elves, but otherwise it's very good.

Not much in the way of character development in this book, but the character relationships are good. I think this may be the first time we really see a dragon, let alone three dragons! The fox spirits are also a nice touch, and it's good to see FX getting some recognition even if he's a bit of a scamp. I have to say FX provides most of the light relief in this case.

This book moves at a swift pace and you'll find it difficult to put down at almost any stage. I have to say I guiltily kept reading past my bed time and during study time (even though I had read it before). The ending still came as a bit of a surprise, as I didn't remember Thomas' role at all!

The ending is something that you won't have seen coming. Although others may be bored by the inevitable journey Shar and Tannim take through the world, I found it fascinating. Lackey's showing off her knowledge and research into the different story myths of our times, and it's something I really enjoy.

Much to my discomfort (and annoyance), after finishing this book, I realised that I should have read 'The Other World' first. Sometimes I get so confused about which books to read first in these series, particularly as it also overlaps with Eric the Bard and Diana Tregarde series. Anyway, don't make my mistake if you're reading them, get 'The Other World' first if you can.

I'd recommend this part of 'The Chrome Borne' for adults and teenagers alike. Although there are hints of sexual activity, it's nothing pervasive. Perhaps the most important message in this novel is the importance of home and family, even when you have grown up. ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 26, 2013 |
A young mage gets trapped Underhill after receiving a challenge from a mysterious woman.

This is far from Deep Serious Reading: it's fun, pure and simple... and, as a result, there's not a whole lot I can say about it. Lackey and Dixon do a good job of blending magic and the late 20th century to create an entertaining romp. The characters are perhaps a little flat, but they're still fun to read about. The book is fast-paced and makes for a quick read. If you liked the other SERRAted Edge books, you'll like this one. Just don't expect anything too deep from it. ( )
  xicanti | Dec 2, 2007 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dixon, Larrymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Thinking he has found his mate for life, rock music-playing and fast-driving mage Tannim finds his dreams complicated by her dragon father, her part-human-part-fox personality, and her apparent desire to kill him

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,600,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible