Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D. James

Shroud for a Nightingale (original 1971; edition 2002)

by P.D. James

Member:Yells
Title:Shroud for a Nightingale
Authors:P.D. James
Info:Seal Books (2002), Unbound, 512 pages
Tags:TBR 2012 & PRIOR

Shroud for a Nightingale by P. D. James (1971)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
2016 Challenge: "A book you put down & didn't finish"

★ ★

Now I remember why I put this book down... The opening was boring and I just didn't care but I needed a book for the challenge.....

Two young nursing students are murdered... They were not particularly well liked and one was a self-righteous petty blackmailer. Called in to investigate Inspector Dagliesh has his work cut out for him..... for there are many other victims besides the two poisoned nurses and many people jousting for positions of power.

I couldn't keep the characters straight as many were on the peripheral and mentioned in passing and for the most part, I didn't care about the rest. They were not nice or likable people and I found Inspector Dagliesh tedious as well. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

2016 Challenge: "A book you put down & didn't finish"

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the fourth Adam Dalgliesh book, published in 1971, and the first I read. It was the beginning of a love affair with PD James and following her recent death, I decided to re-read them all.
The Nightingale in question is not Florence but Nightingale House, a nursing school at John Carpendar Hospital, Heatheringfield. At a student demonstration of patient feeding by intra-gastric tube, the nurse who substitutes as the patient dies a ghastly death. It is assumed to be an accident. When a second student nurse is found dead in her bed, her whisky nightcap the assumed culprit, Adam Dalgliesh is called in from Scotland Yard.
Like all James detective books, this is a complex mixture of observation of human behaviour, intricate plotting, detailed description, and totally believable characters. This is how Alderman Kealey is introduced, he, “looked as perky as a terrier. He was a ginger-haired, foxy little man, bandy as a jockey and wearing a plaid suit, the awfulness of its pattern emphasized by the excellence of its cut. It gave him an anthropomorphic appearance, like an animal in a children’s comic; and Dalgliesh almost expected to find himself shaking a paw.”
The brooding Victorian pile which is Nightingale House, set amongst woods which are rumoured to be haunted, is an atmospheric setting for a murder story involving young emotional women. So when there are more attacks and a fire, it somehow seems inevitable given the setting.
Did I work out the identity of the murderer? I had an early suspicion which I then forgot as I became involved in the various possibilities which Dalgliesh explores. PD James’s books are not formula whodunits, this story incorporates medical procedure, World War Two, ballroom dancing, blackmail. The story twists and turns as we see events unfold through different points of view though whether the truth is being withheld we do not know until the end.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 31, 2015 |
Re-reading this I was surprised at how old-fashioned it seemed. James must have been writing it at the time when nursing was undergoing an organisational upheaval in the early 70s, but there is no indication of that here. In fact, it's difficult to realise the book is set at that time, it feels more like the 1950s. The nursing home setting is very claustrophobic and none of the characters is likeable, even Dalgleish. The theme of the book is power (over others) and its misuse. This is my least favourite of James's novels. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Feb 13, 2015 |
Seemed to drag on and on. ( )
  Elleneer | May 17, 2014 |
For J. M. C.
On the morning of the first murder Miss Muriel Beale, Inspector of Nurse Training Schools to the General Nursing Council, stirred into wakefulness soon after six o'clock and into a sluggish early morning awareness that it was Monday, 12th January, and the day of the John Carpendar Hospital inspection.
Oorspronkelijke titel: Shroud for a nightingale.

The young women of Nightingale House are there to learn to nurse and comfort the suffering. But when one of the students plays patient in a demonstration of nursing skills, she is horribly, brutally killed. Another student dies equally mysteriously, and it is up to Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard to unmask a killer who has decided to prescribe murder as the cure for all ills.

The mysterious and tragic deaths of two student nurses send Adam Dalgliesh, Chief Superintendent of Scotland Yard, to hunt the vicious killer seeking refuge in the Nightingale House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,640,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible