David and the Phoenix by Edward Ormondroyd

David and the Phoenix (1957)

by Edward Ormondroyd

This is the only phoenix in children's literature that I know worthy to stand beside E. Nesbit's, and in some ays (a certain dignity and mild vanity) rather similar. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 5, 2013 |
I read this as a child and, when I came across it again, had to pick it up. Like many childhood books it was only hazily remembered but there was a gorgeous sense of rediscovery as I got to know its delightful characters again, and then a real grief as the book ended. I found myself poking around on the internet in the hopes I'd somehow find a sequel or at least another similar book by the same author. But this was written in the days before half the "young adult" books came with a set of predetermined sequels. And, like all great books, it is really for any age. Mostly I'm just so grateful I got to know the haughty, kind Phoenix and the inquisitive, sweet David again. ( )
  sweetsapling | Jan 27, 2012 |
I got this book in fourth grade via the Weekly Reader book-buying plan. This is the book which woke a life-long love of fantasy in me. ( )
  JNSelko | Jun 21, 2008 |
The first fantasy book I ever read. It opened new worlds to my imagination. ( )
  bookladymn | Feb 26, 2008 |
and excellent and amusing read. A young boy meets the Phoenix on the mountain behind his house. The Phoenix takes him and andventures to meet various mythical beasts and manages to get him in to many scrapes. ( )
  Kateingilo | Jul 24, 2006 |

Edward Ormondroydprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raysor, JoanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All the way there David had saved this moment for himself, struggling not to peek until the proper moment came.

With a tremendous surge of its wings, the Phoenix managed to seize a branch. David's legs slipped from the bird's back, and he dangled over the abyss. Thus ends the near-disaster of their first flight together. But don't underestimate the Phoenix! Failure only makes David's new-found friend determinded to get into shape so that David's education for Life can proceed. And get into shape the fabulous bird does just as they conclude their first successful (and very scary) adventure, the Scientist appears. Don't underestimate the Scientist, either. He is just as stubborn as the Phoenix, and is driven by one obsession: to become famous by capturing the mythic bird. And if his traps don't work, he is fully prepared to shoot the Phoenix...

Quality Classics

We specialize in creating hard to find, high quality, classic books optimized for the Kindle.

Sick of spelling errors, weird characters, or a lack of pictures in illustrated books? Well we know how you feel. We always have the highest quality books. All of our books are formatted and reviewed by an actual human for the Kindle, and always 99 cents.

To find more of our books search "quality classics" in Amazon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:53 -0400)

David moves into a new home with a mountain out back that he cannot wait to climb. Finally, the chance comes, and he meets a mythical Phoenix! But this Phoenix is so...so...stuffy! So pompous! And surprisingly...endearing. When he decides to take a hand in David's education, the adventures, and the hilarity, really begin.… (more)

3 free1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible