Hero at Large by Janet Evanovich

Hero at Large (1987)

by Janet Evanovich

Before the first Stephanie Plum novel, Janet Evanovich wrote romances under the name of Steffie Hall. Many have been re-released and more recently became available from the Boston Public Library as eBooks through Overdrive. Hero at Large was her first romance and is the story about Chris Nelson, single mom to Lucy and former world-class ice skater, and Ken Callahan Knight, a carpenter/businessman seeking a simpler life. Add the match-making Aunt Edna, and well... you can figure out where all this ends up. All in all, a pleasant few hours of reading and good enough to keep Evanovich's other romance titles on my hold list and put them in my checkout cart as they become available. ( )
  owlsfeathers | Mar 18, 2012 |
Breaking down on the side of the road was the worst way for Chris Nelson to start her day. Adding to a broken car, when Ken Callahan stopped to help her, she accidentally broke his arm. Having a broken arm was not something that Ken had planned for his week, but his decision to go with the flow of things led him to living in Chris’ basement and then a broken toe also. The surprising attraction they both felt for each other grew even through the eggs on the floor and burnt dinners, but will it be enough to overcome the heartbreak that Chris expected because of past hurts.

This is another of Janet Evanovichs re-release, this one was originally published in 1987 but for the most part, you can’t tell that it is out of time. What a fun and distracting book, I enjoyed Ken and his laid back attitude, I knew from the beginning that there was something off - so it was predictable. Chris was occasionally funny, sometimes annoying and always very easy to read. They fell in love a little too quickly and easily, I felt like we missed part of Ken’s personality (like being prone to spontaneity) because of his guardedness. Wish there had been more of Dog/Bob, he made such a cute cover. ( )
  onyx95 | Jul 7, 2010 |
A little more romance than I enjoy, but a fun read. Humerous in parts. A little sappy in others. What's with the dog on the cover? He had such a minor roll. But I love Evanovich and have to read everything she's written. I can see how the Stephanie Plum and Grandma Mazur characters are going to eventually evolve from Chris and Aunt Edna. ( )
  AdorableArlene | Apr 8, 2010 |

Dear Reader:

In a previous life, before the time of Plum, I wrote twelve short romance novels. Red-hot screwball comedies, each and every one of them. The romances were originally published between the years 1988 and 1992. All immediately went out of print and could be found only at used bookstores and yard sales.

I'm happy to tell you that those stories have now been re-released by HarperCollins, presented in almost original form. I've done only minor editing to correct some embarrassing bloopers missed the first time around.

Hero at Large was the very first book published. It's about a sexy guy who cooks a potholder in spaghetti sauce and charms a single mom and former world-class ice skater with the promise of a ride on his Zamboni. It's got broken bones, giant turkeys, cantankerous cars, and Aunt Edna.

This was the book that changed my life forever and made me a published author. When Hero finally reached the bookstores, I was almost arrested for loitering in Walden's. I stationed myself in the romance section and wouldn't leave until I saw someone buy my book. It took three days!

Enjoy!

It seems like good luck when Ken Callahan stops to help single mom Chris Nelson with her car. Yet, after Ken moves into Chris' basement, a series of comic mishaps threatens to destroy their happiness. It'll take a meddlesome Aunt Edna, a ride on a Zamboni, and a genuine love of family to turn their luck around.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible