dismiss

Forests of the Vampires: Slavic Myth (Myth…

Forests of the Vampires: Slavic Myth (Myth and Mankind) (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Charles Phillips

A dramatic series that captures, culture by culture, the information that never makes it into the history books: strange stories, mystic rites, angry gods, vision quests.
Member:baerana
Title:Forests of the Vampires: Slavic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
Authors:Charles Phillips
Info:Time-Life Books (1999), Hardcover

Forests of the Vampire: Slavic Myth by Charles Phillips (1999)

Another beautiful volume in the Myth and Mankind series. Not only were the illustrations featuring paintings, fabric art, photos and artifacts outstanding but many of the stories were ones I was unfamiliar with. The interwoven histories of the Slavic peoples of Eastern Europe was also mostly new to me and was very interesting. This book only took as long as it did because the format lent itself to short periods of reading between other books. However, as noted by some other readers, the title is a little misleading in that there is really not much about vampires. They are just one of many areas of Slavic folklore covered. Recommended but I did prefer Mother Earth, Father Sky. I will definitely read other volumes from this series from time to time.
  hailelib | Dec 7, 2009 |
Interesting histroy of Slavic culture and myth, but not a lot of vampires :( I didn't finish reading it, I only read the bits about vampires and Baba Yaga. ( )
  mdomsky | May 23, 2009 |

Charles Phillipsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kerrigan, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
In the early sixth century AD, Slavic tribes burst from obscurity into the bright light of recorded history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible