dismiss

Rogue Moon (Coronet Books) by Algis J.…

Rogue Moon (Coronet Books) (original 1960; edition 1968)

by Algis J. Budrys

Lucky Linderman doesn't want to wake up. . . . Lucky Linderman has been the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying for as long as he can remember. But he has a secret--one that helps him wade through the mundane torture of his life. In his dreams, Lucky escapes to the war-ridden jungles of Laos, where his grandfather, who never came home from the Vietnam War, is still trapped. There, Lucky can be a real man and maybe even a hero. But how long can he keep hiding in his dreams before reality forces its way inside?… (more)
Member:raak
Title:Rogue Moon (Coronet Books)
Authors:Algis J. Budrys
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (1968), Paperback

Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys (1960)

Diamond Dogs by Alastair Reynolds (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both explore humanity exploring a lethal alien artifact

English (25)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Despite the blurbs, this story doesn't have much to do with the alien labyrinth on the moon. The technological star of the show is the matter transmitter, the moral implications of which occupy a good bit of the book.

Even the matter transmitter, though, plays second fiddle to the characters: explaining why Hawks, Barker, Connington, and Claire are the way they are is most of the work of the book. In principle that's great, but I only really enjoyed the bits about Hawks; Barker is infuriating and the other two just aren't very interesting.

The ending of the book is a bit of a letdown, too. It's very thematically appropriate, but it's still a disappointment.

My (much) more detailed notes can be found here. ( )
  Sopoforic | Jun 19, 2019 |
I remembered this being a whole lot better than it was. The premise is SO COOL and there are moments of genuine introspection / exploration of mortality / identity / human nature BUT oh my god 90% of this book is macho dudes having pointlessly overwrought conversations with each other and engaging in pissing contests about who is more of a "real man" and who is going to win the trophy woman. (Also CW for casual domestic violence yeesh.)

The conversations Main Scientist Dude has with his girlfriend are actually super unintentionally hilarious because he just Wall of Texts her all the time (for PAGES) and never lets her say anything and then she's like "I love you". I just chose to read all her replies to him sarcastically, like when he's all telling her about his childhood and then:

'Please go on telling me about yourself,' she said.

NO REALLY THIS IS FASCINATING PLEASE CONTINUE.

Later:

'Do you want to know what it is with you and women?'
Hawks blinked at her. 'Yes. Very much.'
'You treat them like people.'
'I do?' He shook his head again. 'I don't think so.'

She goes on to credit him with doing a ton of things we've never explicitly seen him do, like respecting her boundaries and not being condescending toward her. And then he contradicts her again!

'I take up as much room in the world, the way you see it, as you do. Do you have any idea of how rare a thing that is?'
Hawks was puzzled. 'I'm glad you feel that way,' he said slowly, 'but I don't think that's true.'

Sorry, Elizabeth, I'm with him on this one.

'Cobey'll be very upset,' Hawks was saying, lost in thought. 'He'll have to pay the technicians bonus-time rates.'
'Who's Cobey?'
'A man, Elizabeth. Another man I know.'

YES THIS IS DEFINITELY YOU TREATING HER LIKE A PERSON.

Then there's this gem:

'Women--' he said earnestly, 'women have always fascinated me. [...] there was something about women. I don't mean the physical thing. I mean some special thing about women: some purpose that I couldn't grasp. What bothered me was that here were these other intelligent organisms, in the same world with men, and there had to be a purpose for that intelligence. If all women were for was the continuance of the race, what did they need intelligence for? A simple set of instincts would have done just as well. And as a matter of fact, the instincts are there, so what was the intelligence for? There were plenty of men to take care of making the physical environment comfortable. That wasn't what women were for. At least, it wasn't what they had to have intelligence for ... But I never found out. I've always wondered.'

[Cue another long scene where he tells her his life story and she quietly listens. This story is about how he was dating a woman in college who once said she didn't want to spend the evening listening to him talk and he immediately fell out of love with her and never spoke to her again.]

He opened the car door, half turned to step out, and then stopped. 'You know -- You know,' he began again, 'I do talk a lot, when we're together.' He looked at her apologetically. 'You must get awfully bored with it.'
'I don't mind.'
He shook his head. 'I can't understand you.' He smiled gently.
'Would you like to?'
He blinked. 'Yes. Very much.'

THEN MAYBE TRY SHUTTING UP AND ASKING HER ABOUT HERSELF SOMETIME

'Maybe I feel the same way about you?'
He blinked again. 'Well,' he said. 'Well. I've been sort of assuming that all along, haven't I? I never thought of that. I never did.' He shook his head.

*facepalming intensifies*

Bonus: I definitely decided from the tenor of their weirdly-emotional conversations that he was in a closet relationship with his second-in-command. There's a bunch of this sort of thing which doesn't seem to make much sense otherwise:

'My God, Ed, what's happened to me? What am I doing to both of us? All I ever wanted to do was help you, and somehow it's come out like this. I never should have come here today, Ed. I shouldn't have done this last thing to you.'

So anyhow someone who is not from the 1950s should write a better version of this book pls. ( )
2 vote wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
Scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Intense, often puzzling SF yarn about the Cold War and the human costs of matter transmitters. Not for the pure action fan, but rather an odd mixture of well-crafted hard science with wild psychodrama. Some pretty distrubed characters smashing themselves against each other and picking apart each other's Existential emptiness. If Asimov had collaborated with Edward Albee, it might look something like this. ( )
  JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
Dreadful book. Interesting idea but the dialogue reads like a bad film noir. ( )
  justifiedsinner | Aug 31, 2016 |

Viskupic, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yates, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Halt, Passenger!
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so you shall be.
Prepare for death, and follow me.

New England gravestone motto
To Larry Shaw
journeyman editor
Late on a day in 1959, three men sat in a room.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible