Murder in Retribution by Anne Cleeland

In Anne Cleeland's book, Murder in Retribution, Kathleen Doyle and Lord Acton find out that 'retribution may be best left to fate'. When a rash of underworld murders shatters London's normally austere facade, Doyle sets out to investigate the escalating turf war. Doyle uncovers a seedy world where fractious member of the Russian mafia and an Irish terrorist group are fighting for control of a lucrative underground business. Doyle and Acton's married relationship has now come to light at the CID Headquarters and the gossip is flying. Thank goodness for all the murders as the attention is drawn away from them.

I still am wondering about this relationship between Doyle and Acton. In the first book of the series Acton is stalking Doyle and in this book Acton is murdering those who get in his wife's way. I don't think I will be continuing with this Romantic/Mystery series because of this strange relationship. I think Anne Cleeland needs to rethink this relationship as it may turn off readers. I know it has done that to me but I suggest that you may want to read this series for yourself and see how you feel about it. ( )
  EadieB | Apr 1, 2018 |
This is book two in the series and I’m not really sure what to think. The Lord Acton that is presented to the world is a brilliant, handsome, titled, wealthy gentleman and a Chief Superintendent of Scotland Yard. But we get to see him through his wife and he’s obsessive, a stalker and handing out cold-blooded vigilante justice. This time someone wants Kathleen Doyle dead and Acton is manic about protecting her. ( )
  Kathy89 | Aug 24, 2016 |
I truly adore this couple and I love spending time with them. Thank you Ms Cleeland. ( )
  briellenadyne | Jul 12, 2016 |
*SPOILER FREE*

If you remember my review of Murder in Thrall last year, you know that I rated that book one of my best reads of 2013.

Acton and Doyle despite their vague resemblance to Sherlock and Watson are one of the sexiest, most dysfunctional and scariest couple there is in fiction, and that sh*t is only gonna get darker in Murder in Retribution, ladies and gents.

I still have goose bumps thinking about this book. Kathleen and Michael's romance might not have been conventional previously, but now... In some parts of the book it left me speechless. Acton is a psychological dark and twisted pit, the depth of which we're only just starting to uncover along with Doyle. He is a sociopath, there is no doubt of it, maybe a psychopath, and he has an unshakeable fixation on Doyle. God help them both!

On the other hand, their dynamics keep reminding me of Nora Roberts' In Death series, maybe because the sheer magnetism of this couple is akin to Rourke and Eve's?

Murder in Retribution is a sinister book, which is underlined even better by Doyle's peculiar way of handling Acton and by his way of taking care of any threats to his beloved. Even Mundoz and Williams don't make it that much lighter although they are a pair of wonderful secondary characters. As usual, the police investigation into mafia wars in London connects all the dots perfectly in the end and stays secondary to the main focus on Acton and Doyle's personal development.

Perhaps the only thing I was missing here was the insight into Acton's mind which we had in the beginning of each chapter in Murder in Thrall. Please, Anne Cleeland, bring my favorite psycho back! A superb, albeit disturbing read, not for the fainthearted but highly recommended! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Normally implausible plot lines annoy me, but I was so captivated by Cleeland's unlikely protagonist Kathleen Doyle that now I must get the back story from Murder in Thrall.
Without giving any spoilers, I will say that moral ambiguity abounds and makes for a rather unusual take on New Scotland Yard. ( )
  seasidereader | Feb 27, 2015 |

Detective Kathleen Doyle has her hands full. She has recently been paired with the newly promoted Detective Sergeant Williams to investigate a turf war--a series of retribution murders between the Russians and the Irish, both of whom are trying to control a lucrative underworld business. Kathleen also just learned that she's pregnant and must now deal with the repercussions of her hasty marriage in the form of Chief Inspector Acton's mother, the displeased dowager, who makes an unannounced visit. Still worse, Kathleen senses that Acton is carrying out a "scorched earth" retribution of his own and that he instigated the turf war to rid London of its villains. She worries that he is meting out his own form of justice--and who knows what will happen if it's exposed?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,324,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible