Ostatnie dni Krolika by McPartlin Anna

Ostatnie dni Krolika (original 2014; edition 2015)

by McPartlin Anna (Author)

"Here is a truth that can't be escaped: for Mia "Rabbit" Hayes, life is coming to and end. Rabbit Hayes loves her life, ordinary as it is, and the extraordinary people in it. She loves her spirited daughter, Juliet; her colorful, unruly family; the only man in her big heart, Johnny Faye. But it turns out the world has other plans for Rabbit, and she's okay with that. Because she has plans for the world too, an only a handful of days left to make them happen. Here is a truth that won't be forgotten: this is a story about laughing through life's surprises and finding the joy in every moment"--… (more)
Member:otryt
Title:Ostatnie dni Krolika
Authors:McPartlin Anna (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Polska (2015), 400 pages
Tags:ydo

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin (2014)

English (14)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (18)
A story about finding the joy in every moment, even when you are dying.
  LibraryPAH | Apr 26, 2019 |
Oooh, I don't even know how to start this review. I read this book with mixed feelings. On the one hand, this is the kind of story that I'm most unfit to read, and on the other side, this is probably one of the most significant readings I have ever had regarding fillings diversity.

Rabbit Hayes admitted to a hospice. She has another nine days to live, and we all have 384 pages describe the life experience of Rabbit Hayes from birth until the day of her death; In Vivid colors, humor, and sadness.

This story is unique thanks to its characters, not of its plot. When I read the book, I asked myself where the feeling of hope that accompanies the story stems off?
Well, It stems from the extraordinary family described in it. They are ordinary people, not unusual in any sense, only behaving differently. It is a family that accepts its members with love, and They don't expect their children to be "successful." They accept them as they are. It is a family whose members do little things for each other, Not because "that's how it should be." No one urges them to do so, adults and children "give" each other small bits of emotion. Adults and children "get" from each other strength and courage. And it takes great courage to accompany a loved one on her way to die.

The story itself is a part of Rabbit Hayes' blog - she is a journalist, a single mother, a beloved daughter, and a friend. From the moment the disease discovered, the cruel ups and downs - the hope, the euphoria, the bitter disappointment when recovery turns out to be a mirage.

As I mentioned before, I don't usually like books that describe terminal illnesses, yet this book is different. Thanks to the uniqueness of the characters and the credibility of their behavior, thanks to the scholarly writing and preparation, because of the writer's ability to paint the subject in vivid colors that can almost be a seen of love and hope. I am glad that the book accidentally crept into my reading list, because, if I knew what the subject was before reading, I do not doubt that I wouldn't read it. ( )
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
What goes through the mind of a terminally ill patient? How does her body react? How will family and friends behave? No one quite has the answer until the disease smacks you in the face and you deal with it come what may. We witness Rabbit's interactions with her loved ones at the hospice, the poignancy is juxtaposed with nostalgia, humour and Irish roadies. ( )
  paperdust | May 2, 2018 |
The book begins with Rabbit entering hospice. As her family surrounds her with love, coming to terms with her likely death, there are plenty of heartbreaking moments—but it’s not a depressing story. Each member of the Hayes family brings entertaining, heartwarming memories to the story, and I couldn’t help falling in love with every character. ( )
1 vote hes7 | Apr 16, 2018 |
3.5* but just not 4*

"It was a bright April day and forty-year-old Mia ‘Rabbit’ Hayes, beloved daughter of Molly and Jack, sister of Grace and Davey, mother of twelve-year-old Juliet, best friend to Marjorie Shaw and the one true love of Johnny Faye’s life, was on her way to a hospice to die."

I have put a spoiler tag on this short piece but really, the fact the Rabbit Hayes is going to die is the underlying premise of this book. There are no surprises about this, the quote above appears on page 1. (Be warned, tho, that the quotations may contain swearing.)

Nevertheless, this book is different from other books with a similar premise.

Whilst reading this I was strongly reminded of Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger in which the MC is dying from cancer and recollects her life whilst waning in and out of consciousness and morphine-induced hallucinations.

Rabbit Hayes also remembers her own story but this in not the main story. Unlike Lively's main character, Rabbit Hayes has not lived a remarkable life. Rabbit is an everyday woman. What the book is driven by instead are the reactions of her nearest and dearest to the inevitable event of Rabbit's death. Each of them going through different stages of grief and realisation.

"When she was a teenager she’d bought a red clay Buddha in a charity shop, and when her mother asked her why she wanted it, she told her she preferred to look at a fat god laughing rather than a skinny one dying. Rabbit never needed to believe in any god to marvel at the world, to feel joy, hope, love and contentment. Rabbit lived in the moment. She didn’t know what came next, nor did she care. It was likely that death meant a full stop and that didn’t scare her. In fact, when she thought about it, the notion of eternity was far more worrying."

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes was not an easy read as it expressly describes living with cancer and also MS. However, the writing style was refreshingly light and, well, just - Irish. It reminded me a lot of Mrs Browns Boys. If you haven't seen the show, check them out.

On the same note of combining comedy and serious context, The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes could come across as a bit cheesy and over-evocative - but never for long.

"Her mother’s curses upset many, but not her. She found them entertaining, familiar and comforting. Ma was kind, generous, fun, playful, wise, strong and formidable. She’d take a bullet to protect an innocent, and nobody, not the tallest, strongest or bravest, messed with Molly Hayes. She didn’t suffer fools gladly and she didn’t give a toss about pleasing people. You either liked Molly Hayes or you fucked off." ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Today I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,147,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible