House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

House of Leaves (2000)

by Mark Z. Danielewski

8,333None370 (4.15)2 / 314
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (macart3)
    macart3: Those who read the "House of Leaves" will recognize how the house also consumes people in "The Haunting of Hill House" and the feeling that there is something unearthly inhabiting the house.
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (Liyanna)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (Torikton)
    Torikton: Danielewski and Wallace both satirize academic writing by playing with footnotes.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (PandorasRequiem)
    At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien (Fenoxielo)
    Fenoxielo: At Swim-Two-Birds is the grand-daddy of all meta-fiction and House of Leaves owes a great deal to it.
    Vellum: The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For a sincere ambition to figure out what the hell is going on.
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (sduff222)
    Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (AndySandwich)
    AndySandwich: Gravity's Rainbow = paranoia House of Leaves = claustrophobia
    S. by Doug Dorst (Kordo)
    Chunnel Surfer II by Scott Maddix (aaronius)
    aaronius: Another experimental narrative that takes you different places than ordinary fiction.
    Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges (fundevogel)
    Icelander by Dustin Long (sduff222)
    The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (owen1218, ateolf)
    owen1218: It seems to have been influenced by this book.
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    guyalice: The mysterious basement and the unending staircase draw parallelisms.
    BLAME!, Vol. 1 by Tsutomu Nihei (Anonymous user)

English (200)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (210)
Firstly, I want to start of by stating how much I really wanted to love the novel.

No but they were a bit askew.

I was expecting a downright chilling and terrifying story. In the vein of Stephen King or, more appropriately, H.P. Lovecraft.

I wanted House of Leaves to scare my socks off. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't.

However, it was a good story. Put simply, Johnny Truant has a friend named Lude. Lude has a blind elderly neighbor named Zampanò who recently dies. Now Lude and Johnny sneak into Zampanò's house and Johnny, almost transfixed, focuses his attention on a trunk filled with reams and reams of paper. Upon closer inspection, Johnny realizes it's a story.

The story is called The Navidson Record. In it, Will Navidson, a famed photojournalist, his partner Karen, a former model and their two children move into a house in Virginia in Ash Tree Lane. Navidson decides to make a documentary about him and his family making a life and settling down. However, it turns into something more sinister when a door appears randomly. By careful measuring, Navidson realizes his house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

The door leads to leads to a room that grows but is perpetually dark...

Within The Navidson Record there are endnotes a-plenty and Johnny Truant's thoughts and happenings as he serves as the book's narrator.

Danielewski did a great story telling two equally compelling narratives but I would have loved it more if it were two separate stories. Sometimes, I would be so involved in The Navidson Record that, when it broke into Truant's rant, I would be miffed and vice versa. I supposed it was for that dizzying effect like the crooked words on the page. As the characters in TNR were descending into darkness, Truant was descending into his own mad darkness.

Though very good and effective, I was very exhausted. I had to take a break because I was so tired. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
You can't really explain House of Leaves. It's an experience. It's thought-provoking. It's maddening, frustrating, terrifying, and not completely satisfying. It's a most unusual and fascinating. It's a psychological thriller. It's a horror story.

It's a love story.

The novel takes the form of a non-fiction book that examines a film called The Navidson Record, which was written by a blind man, Zampano, and discovered by a young man named Johnny in the author's L.A. apartment after his death. The thing is, the film itself probably doesn't even exist. Yet Zampano writes hundreds of pages describing the events documented in the film, namely the discovery of an impossible dark hallway in a house where none existed before. As the hallway grows in size and scope, Will Navidson becomes more obsessed with the space. Johnny, and by extension the reader, become obsessed as well. Johnny's edits of Zampano's manuscript begin to echo the house explorers' descent into the vast nothingness, with sentences and paragraphs written upside down, backwards, in the corners, and along meandering lines.

What is in that house? Is it some kind of monster? A portal to another dimension? The reflection of the crumbling psyche's of the house's inhabitants? Don't think about it too hard. Navidson did, and well...you'll see. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Mar 27, 2014 |
A eerie, nightmare inducing read though I feel like I only grasped about 85% of what the author was trying to communicate. Maybe less than that. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Mar 20, 2014 |
House of leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski runs to 710 pages: 13 pages of introduction, 535 of text, followed by three appendices and a 42-page, triple-column index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K Bell (Aug 4, 2009)

... let me say right off that his book is funny, moving, sexy, beautifully told, an elaborate engagement with the shape and meaning of narrative. For all its modernist maneuvers, postmodernist airs and post-postmodernist critical parodies, ''House of Leaves'' is, when you get down to it, an adventure story: a man starts traveling inside a house that keeps getting larger from within, even as its outside dimensions remain the same. He is entering deep space through the closet door.

Danielewski, Mark Z.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santen, Karina vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuenke, ChristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosmaer, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Has as a supplement

This is not for you.
I still get nightmares. In fact I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares.

Some deep shit -- for readers with thick skins and wide open minds. A schitzoid, barely sober tattoo artist tries to amass his intellect upon the fractured manuscripts of a dead, blind man. Said documents purport the fictitious story/ filming of a photographer's family and their shape-shifting, undulating house. Add in some wanton sex, a need for fumigation, two rambunctious kids, creative typesetting and some unspeakable horror -- and there you have it... HOUSE OF LEAVES.
One creepy closet,
Holds plenty of shoes, coats and
Navidson Records

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375703764, Paperback)

Had The Blair Witch Project been a book instead of a film, and had it been written by, say, Nabokov at his most playful, revised by Stephen King at his most cerebral, and typeset by the futurist editors of Blast at their most avant-garde, the result might have been something like House of Leaves. Mark Z. Danielewski's first novel has a lot going on: notably the discovery of a pseudoacademic monograph called The Navidson Record, written by a blind man named Zampanò, about a nonexistent documentary film--which itself is about a photojournalist who finds a house that has supernatural, surreal qualities. (The inner dimensions, for example, are measurably larger than the outer ones.) In addition to this Russian-doll layering of narrators, Danielewski packs in poems, scientific lists, collages, Polaroids, appendices of fake correspondence and "various quotes," single lines of prose placed any which way on the page, crossed-out passages, and so on.
Now that we've reached the post-postmodern era, presumably there's nobody left who needs liberating from the strictures of conventional fiction. So apart from its narrative high jinks, what does House of Leaves have to offer? According to Johnny Truant, the tattoo-shop apprentice who discovers Zampanò's work, once you read The Navidson Record,
For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were. You'll detect slow and subtle shifts going on all around you, more importantly shifts in you. Worse, you'll realize it's always been shifting, like a shimmer of sorts, a vast shimmer, only dark like a room. But you won't understand why or how.
We'll have to take his word for it, however. As it's presented here, the description of the spooky film isn't continuous enough to have much scare power. Instead, we're pulled back into Johnny Truant's world through his footnotes, which he uses to discharge everything in his head, including the discovery of the manuscript, his encounters with people who knew Zampanò, and his own battles with drugs, sex, ennui, and a vague evil force. If The Navidson Record is a mad professor lecturing on the supernatural with rational-seeming conviction, Truant's footnotes are the manic student in the back of the auditorium, wigged out and furiously scribbling whoa-dude notes about life.
Despite his flaws, Truant is an appealingly earnest amateur editor--finding translators, tracking down sources, pointing out incongruities. Danielewski takes an academic's--or ex-academic's--glee in footnotes (the similarity to David Foster Wallace is almost too obvious to mention), as well as other bogus ivory-tower trappings such as interviews with celebrity scholars like Camille Paglia and Harold Bloom. And he stuffs highbrow and pop-culture references (and parodies) into the novel with the enthusiasm of an anarchist filling a pipe bomb with bits of junk metal. House of Leaves may not be the prettiest or most coherent collection, but if you're trying to blow stuff up, who cares? --John Ponyicsanyi

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:33 -0400)

One of the most acclaimed fiction debuts of 2000, national best-seller House of Leaves influenced, and was influenced by, the music of POE, Mark Z. Danielewski's sister. Her highly anticipated new album, Haunted, which includes many songs inspired by House of Leaves, will be released in September 2000 by Atlantic Records.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible