May Day (Murder-by-Month Mysteries, No. 1)…

May Day (Murder-by-Month Mysteries, No. 1) (edition 2006)

by Jess Lourey

Member:redpersephone
Title:May Day (Murder-by-Month Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Jess Lourey
Info:MIDNIGHT INK (2006), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:signed, met author, library event

May Day by Jess Lourey

Mira James, the newly appointed assistant librarian in Battle Creek, finds a corpse in the library. She had hoped this guy was going to be somebody special in her life and he had stood her up the day before. She tries to find out what happened.

I bought this, the first in a series, after enjoying one of the later ones, but found it difficult to work up any enthusiasm. I don't think I'll be bothering with any of the others. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 8, 2013 |
Mira the main character was consistently foolish which made it hard to admire her. Some of her cracks were witty and funny but they were quite mean at the same time and they were never softened by any kind remarks, for instance all the snide blue hair, raisin ranch and the like comments could have been balanced by a nice old person some where along the line. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
I got this book in the kindle store for free. First of all, this book really needs to lose the cozy description. I'm not really sure what genre it belong in. Maybe humorous mystery. There are a few crude jokes and comments, plus a little language that cozy readers might object to.
Mira has moved to small town Minnesota. She works at the library. She meets Jeff, starts to care for him and then he is murdered. Mira wants to know why. So, she turns amatuer sleuth.
This town has many secrets, many more than a little disturbing. There were some creepy moments and Mira could be funny at times. But, the plot was a bit too off beat for my taste. I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting. The writing was fine, the formatting was a bit different than I'm used to, but that didn't bother me. This wasn't a terrible book, but it was just OK. Overall a C - ( )
  gpangel | Nov 29, 2012 |
The plot commands good tension, but most of the personalities are undeveloped and filled with nothing but lust, jealousy, and grudges. Everyone has a high school sad memory or disappointment that lets them relate to Mira , but that engine simply won't take you as far as the author wants it to go. What's more, this takes place in a town of only about 700 inhabitants, so if one really does get knocked off each month, the cumulative total of murdered and murderer will put a considerable dent into the town's population. ( )
  herbcat | Mar 20, 2012 |
MN mystery with a bit of fluff and bawdry tendenices. ( )
  Minne2 | Aug 11, 2011 |
For Diane and Ray, two good friends of mine
Tuesday marked my tenth official day alone at the library, but the heady draw of being my own boss had worn off.

Minneapolitan Mira James has been taking it easy since college graduation--too easy. Due to a dead-end job and a cheating boyfriend, the Twin Cities have lost their charm, and Mira decides to begin a new life in rural Battle Lake. Right away she is offered jobs as an assistant librarian and part-time reporter, and falls into an unexpected romance with a guy who seems to be the perfect man until he turns up dead between the reference stacks her tenth day on the job.

Anxious to learn more about the man who had briefly stolen her heart, Mira delves into the hidden mysteries of Battle Lake, including a old land deed with ancient Ojibwe secrets, an obscure octogenarian crowd with freaky social lives, and a handful of thirtysomething high school buddies who hold bitter, decades-old grudges. Mira soon discovers that unknown dangers are concealed under the polite exterior of this quirky small town, and revenge is a tator-tot hotdish best served cold.

A hip, humorous, and gripping account of small-town murder, this novel is the first in a series of cozies featuring Mira James, an urban woman with rural Minnesota roots.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:11 -0400)

Minneapolitan Mira James has been taking it easy since college graduation, too easy. Due to a dead-end job and a cheating boyfriend, the Twin Cities have lost their charm, and Mira decides to begin a new life in rural Battle Lake. Right away she is offered jobs as an assistant librarian and part-time reporter, and falls into an unexpected romance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,277,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible