Ruth's Journey: The Authorized Novel of…

Ruth's Journey: The Authorized Novel of Mammy from Margaret Mitchell's…

by Donald McCaig

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All (15)
Gone With The Wind is undoubtedly my all-time favorite movie. I can watch it over and over and over. It’s not surprising that there have been sequel’s and prequel’s (Scarlett by Alexandrea Ripley—a hideous novel—and Rhett Butler’s People by Donald McCaig that I haven’t read). I admit that I was excited when I saw heard about another prequel, this time from Mammy’s point of view. What a great character she is. Margaret Mitchell not only created a formidable personality, Hattie McDaniel brought her to life. McDaniel deserved the Oscar she was awarded.

I haven’t read all of McCaig’s works, but I have read, and thoroughly enjoyed, his Nop’sTrials and Nop’s Hope. Both are excellent stories. Between a novel about Mammy and a writer with whom I’m familiar, no one had to twist my arm to pay hardcover price for what I was positive would be a wonderful reading experience.

Alas, I was wrong; it’s a tedious read. The story has begins when Mammy becomes a refugee from a slave revolt in Haiti. Her mistress gave her the name of Ruth. I know that McCaig had to create a backstory that wouldn’t be stereotypical, but he went too far. It’s as bad as Ripley sending Scarlett to Ireland for most of Scarlett,

Most of the book is about Solange, Scarlett O’Hara’s grandmother, and Ellen, Scarlett’s mother. Only the confidence that the story would turn around and focus more on Ruth/Mammy kept me reading.

I found the first two-thirds of the novel seemed to center on Solange, with Mammy as a supporting character. The first half of the last two-thirds of the novel focused on Ellen, and then finally, we reach Mammy/Ruth’s story. Maybe I need to keep I mind that the title is Ruth’s Journey, not Ruth’s story. When the action finally does center on Mammy/Ruth, it seems more like rewriting of Mitchell’s work.

I give Ruth’s Journey: The Authorized Novel of Mammy From Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind 2 out of five stars ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Feb 27, 2018 |
Ever wonder about Mammy in "Gone with the Wind" before she became Mammy to Katie Scarlett and her siblings? Here is her story. It could be considered a prequel to "Gone with the Wind" because it deals with Ruth and also her earlier dealings with Scarlett, including quite a bit about, the character, Scarlett. Though, not a literary masterpiece, this book delivers an interesting conjecture for any fans of Margaret Mitchell's beloved story.

I received my copy from netgalley.com ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |

I received my copy from netgalley.com ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
"Gone With the Wind" is such a classic that you don't even need to see the movie or read the book to know that it exists as part of our cultural heritage. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to read the book while it was in my possession (I have never seen the movie) but I allowed it to slip out of my grasp, which is a pity.

For someone to be able to write this book that is based on one of the largest cultural cornerstones is a challenge and one well met in my opinion. Even though I can't base my review on the earlier work anyone who is into historical fiction will find this a page-turner that will capture the imagination.

The author took a follow-up it seems of "Forrest Gump" by using a person whose life narrates the biggest changes of history in several decades while still relating how they touched the lives of those around them while still remaining basically in the background. The book shows the changes on the people around Mammy Ruth as well.

This is one book that I will be keeping while trying to find the original to read now. And I hope the estate of Ms. Mitchell has been pleased with this new addition.

**Received this book as part of the First Reads at Goodreads.com for free in exchange for a review** ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
This is a prequel to Gone with the Wind - Ruth being Mammy in that novel. Well done, and interesting. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Feb 18, 2015 |
A huge old woman with the small, shrewd eyes of an elephant. She was shining black, pure African, devoted to her last drop of blood to the O'Haras, Ellen's mainstay, the despair of her three daughters, the terror of the other house servants.
—Margaret Michell, Gone With The Wind
"Whither thou goest, I will go: and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried.' —Book of Ruth
To Hattie McDaniel "My own life even surprises me."
Her story began with a miracle.

Authorized by the Margaret Mitchell Estate, here is the first-ever prequel to one of the most beloved and bestselling novels of all time, Gone with the Wind. The critically acclaimed author of Rhett Butler's People magnificently recounts the life of Mammy, one of literature's greatest supporting characters, from her days as a slave girl to the outbreak of the Civil War.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,305,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible