dismiss

Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary…

by Daniel M. Lavery

"Hilariously imagined text conversations--the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange--from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O'Hara to Jessica Wakefield. Mallory Ortberg, the co-creator of the cult-favorite website The Toast, presents this whimsical collection of hysterical text conversations from your favorite literary characters. Everyone knows that if Scarlett O'Hara had an unlimited text-and-data plan, she'd constantly try to tempt Ashley away from Melanie with suggestive messages. If Mr. Rochester could text Jane Eyre, his ardent missives would obviously be in all-caps. And Daisy Buchanan would not only text while driving, she'd text you to pick her up after she totaled her car. Based on the popular web-feature, Texts from Jane Eyre is a witty, irreverent mashup that brings the characters from your favorite books into the twenty-first century"--… (more)

English (56)  Piratical (1)  All languages (57)
THIS IS HILARIOUS. ( )
  katelynreads | Jun 30, 2020 |
I post reviews like this on my blog at Rachel Reading. For 100 more reviews like this, check it out!

Oh man, this book was such a fun ride! The book is almost exactly as the title states, texts from your favorite literary characters. Sometimes these text message conversations happen between each other, and sometimes they're to unknown recipients, but what they all are is funny.

I flew through this book and laughed a lot while I did. The only thing about this book is that if you aren't familiar with some of the classic stories, the text messages won't really make sense/won't be as funny. This book honestly made me realize how many holes there are in my classics knowledge and makes me want to pick them up again. I think out of all the characters, my favorite texts came from Hamlet. I even shared some of these with my parents who are teachers, and I did love the variety of characters that Ortberg brought into her book.

Overall, if you've read a decent amount of classics, or just some, this is a really great book that you'll probably enjoy. It's funny, and something that will keep you laughing for awhile, but also easy enough to skip through if needed.

Follow me on Rachel Reading | Instagram | Facebook | Bloglovin ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
Hilarious. You should read it. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
I always enjoy Ortberg's humor, particularly when they combine it with obscure literary knowledge. I think each of these texts was quite funny alone, but the sameness of the schtick (historical/fictional figures are flaky pains-in-the-butt) wears after a while. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
Major disappointment. I found exactly one of them funny. (The Outsiders) This book is just too hipster pretentious for me. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |

Daniel M. Laveryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gobbo, MadelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leravi, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shoemaker, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hiiiiiiii

hi who is this

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daniel M. Lavery's book Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,002,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible