Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other…

Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary…

by Daniel Mallory Ortberg

English (51)  Piratical (1)  All languages (52)
As advertised.

This gave me a lot of laughs. Obviously, the more of these books you've read, the more mileage you'll get out of it, but some of the stories covered are so familiar that anyone could pick this up and find something to laugh about. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
So this book was a ton of fun to read! I've always loved Mallory Ortberg's irreverent humor, and it translates in such an amazing way to Texts From Jane Eyre. If you ever wondered what your favorite literary characters would sound like via text, this a book for you. I giggled my way through pages of classic stories redone as text messages. I think my favorite was definitely Virginia Wolff's very long, very ranting text. I'll leave it for you to discover what she writes!

For those of you who don't read too many classics, some of your other favorite literary characters make cameos as well. In fact, if you've ever seen any of Mallory Ortberg's text conversations on Tumblr and laughed, this book is for you. It contains much more of the same, through the flying fingers of Ron Weasley, Scarlett O'Hara, and even Plato. I'm not sure what else I can say! It's a fun, quick read, and a great way to pass a few hours. Enjoy! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Just OK. The idea is very cute and some of these were funny, but most of them weren't that clever. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
I read this mostly in airports and on planes, and I thought it would be a perfect fit for that environment--funny and entertaining without requiring me to pay super close attention to any unfolding plot or building elements. And that was true... but I didn't care for the book much. The idea here is "what if classic book characters texted each other." The exhanges appear in text format (as if they were on an iphone) and use colloquial text speech. I won't deny that some of the exchanges had me snorting with laughter, but *most* of them made me make the "eh?" face. Just, usually not that funny? Also, you need to be *very* familiar with most of the texts Ortberg is riffing on for the jokes to land. It happens that I was, most of the time, but for the texts I didn't know (or know really well), the exchanges are nigh on meaningless. This is probably mostly a case of humor being subjective (it's clear from reviews that this book worked very well for some people), but I did sometimes feel my deep aversion to dismissiveness kicking in. Some of the exchanges feel unfair and... mean in their treatment of the source material rather than send-uppy and fun. Like, we're here to have a good time, not make some people feel shitty for liking a particular text. YMMV. ( )
  lycomayflower | May 26, 2018 |
I've read a lot of serious fiction lately, so this was a nice break. It's the kind of book that you can pick up, read a few entries, and move on. I bookmarked my favorites as I went along to revisit down the road. Ortberg begins with a series of imagined text conversations from mythological characters (Circe, Dido, and Achilles, for example), then moves on to Hamlet, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, William Faulkner, The Sun Also Rises, J. Alfred Prufrock, Daisy Miller, William Carlos Williams, and more. Be forewarned: you will need some familiarity with the original in order to catch the humor. This wasn't too much of an issue for me until the last entries, which focused on Children's, YA, and some pop novels which (with the exception of Nancy Drew) I hadn't read. The book includes fun drawings of selected characters. Overall, an enjoyable and witty escape. ( )
1 vote Cariola | Apr 9, 2018 |

Daniel Mallory Ortbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gobbo, MadelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leravi, Meryl SussmanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shoemaker, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hiiiiiiii

hi who is this

"Hilariously imagined text conversations--the passive aggressive, the clever, and the strange--from classic and modern literary figures, from Scarlett O'Hara to Jessica Wakefield. Mallory Ortberg, the co-creator of the cult-favorite website The Toast, presents this whimsical collection of hysterical text conversations from your favorite literary characters. Everyone knows that if Scarlett O'Hara had an unlimited text-and-data plan, she'd constantly try to tempt Ashley away from Melanie with suggestive messages. If Mr. Rochester could text Jane Eyre, his ardent missives would obviously be in all-caps. And Daisy Buchanan would not only text while driving, she'd text you to pick her up after she totaled her car. Based on the popular web-feature, Texts from Jane Eyre is a witty, irreverent mashup that brings the characters from your favorite books into the twenty-first century"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daniel Mallory Ortberg's book Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible