Scouting for the Reaper by Jacob M. Appel

Scouting for the Reaper

by Jacob M. Appel

got earlier in the week. but just now got to finish today. had son in hospital for wrist surgery then my granny had fell and was in the hospital and passed away the same day my son had surgery and we buried her on saturday ( )
  KimSalyers | Apr 21, 2019 |
Scouting for the Reaper consists of eight short stories by Jacob M. Appel. Story one (Choose Your Own Genetics) tells of a girl whom discovers that her blood type is different from her dads and his mission to prove that it is possible. This story as well as the other seven ends without a true ending making the reader wanting to know what happens in the substory that was introduced. The next to stories deal with exgirlfriends and the ideas of affairs and death. Both of these are the easiest reads of the book. Ad Valorem tells the story of a widow and a tax man which seems to drag on as well as Rods and Cones both of which lacks relatableness to the reader. Story six tells of a woman and her lawn man and his disappearance which has potential yet ends before it is met. The last two stories tell of a truck driver delivering penguins with a runaway which again starts good yet then just ends followed by the most confusing story of a Rabi whom is asked to dispose of a man turned into a roach. This story lacks detail and explanations as to what is happening. Overall Scouting for the Reaper lacks relatability, depth and is an easy book to skip. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Mar 16, 2019 |
This is a collection of eight short stories which are tightly crafted and well-written. The stories are like a slice out of someone's life, not a neat and tidy slice, but a raw, dripping chunk of reality. These stories do not provide gratuitous happy endings nor in-depth analysis; just really a compelling account of events. Happy to add to my growing collection of Mr. Appel's works. ( )
  Cheryl-L-B | Feb 19, 2019 |
I won this book as part of a give-away. This is an honest review.

I really enjoyed this series of short stories. A definite page-turner. The plots were complex, and held my interest to the very end! I would definitely recommend this series. ( )
  cryczak232 | Jan 8, 2019 |
This collection of short stories was not my favorite. In general I found myself wondering what the purpose of the story was at the end of each. I was sure I had missed a section or that the end had been cut off somehow.

A woman goes practically crazy because her family bunny lost his sight. She goes on several escapades determined to get his vision back at great costs and without her husband's knowledge only to have the bunny suddenly able to see again. No connection. No purpose. No learnings.

A few stories are the same below the surface just angled a little differently.

There are many very positive reviews so perhaps the method of writing just isn’t for me. ( )
  RachelGB | Dec 31, 2018 |

Each of the characters in SCOUTING FOR THE REAPER faces an unanticipated challenge: transporting a truckload of penguins across the country, arranging a proper Jewish burial for the remains of Gregor Samsa, and selling tombstones dressed as a Girl Scout. These stories explore the domestic and professional adventures of people in over their heads, while leavening their struggles with humor.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Scouting for the Reaper is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,211,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible