It by Stephen King

It (1986)

by Stephen King

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (amyblue, msouliere)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Locke)
    Locke: Both novels deal with themes of childhood horrors and coming of age. Both have a subtle melancholy tone!
    The Guardians by Andrew Pyper (lippylibrarian)
    lippylibrarian: Both books feature a group of childhood friends returning to face the horrors of their small hometown after the suicide of a close friend.
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    Phantoms by Dean Koontz (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Koontz's take on the shape-shifting monster is more scientific, less epic/supernatural, but entertaining too.
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)
    Stinger by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Straight on 'Til Morning by Christopher Golden (mniday)
    Vigilantes #1: Het teken by Gaudin (comtso)
    comtso: Des amis d'enfance, devenus adultes, se retrouvent pour affronter un ennemi de leur passé. Pour réussir, ils doivent retrouver ce en quoi ils croyaient enfants.
    The Glister by John Burnside (Jthierer)
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are about a small town infected by an evil influence.
    The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott (ShelfMonkey)

English (212)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (227)
Challenging on many levels and loaded with memorable monster moments, "It" is a complex tale of horror, trauma, and the power of friendship...even if King has a difficult time capturing believable child voices. ( )
  Birdo82 | Mar 21, 2017 |
I have been listening to this book for a month. I have to say, now that I'm finished, I really miss Bill, Ben, Bev, Richie, Eddie, Mike & Stan. This book is creepy and touching. It is a beautiful story that will scare the pants off you. It examines the differences between the way children see and process things and the way adults do. It shows the incredible power of belief and love.

I enjoyed this book, as I do every time I read it. It affected me differently at various stages of my life. I felt the biggest impact the first time I read it - which I suppose is always true with books like this.

This is my first time listening to a Stephen King book and Steven Weber did a great job. I was immersed in their world every time I listened. Now that it's over, my walks, car rides & house cleaning seem empty. I will need to find another audiobook soon. :) ( )
  Jadedog13 | Mar 10, 2017 |
This is the first Stephen King novel that I have read, and what surprised me most was not the plot points. It was the fact that when discussing the great American authors, King has almost never been mentioned. I understand that populist work rarely gains accolades, but some of the prose in this book is utterly gorgeous. With a better editor, who wouldn't have been afraid to axe a few hundred pages (and some of the more unsavory scenes), this book would probably be discussed in very different circles. I hate the stigma that goes with genre writing because his turn of phrase deserves much more recognition. ( )
  afclark | Jan 19, 2017 |
Truly epic. Not much more I can say. King is an absolutely incredible story-teller. ( )
  cknick | Dec 14, 2016 |
some big space bug comes to earth a long time ago. Now it resides in a Maine town and feeds on kids every 26years or so. Anyway, some kids hurt it and then come back in 26 years to finish the job. The horror in this novel lay in fact that humans are so bad. The people did horrible things, ignored horrible things, etc. Murder, madness, death and destruction.

And yet it is incredible writing. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giusti, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, PäiviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It (1990IMDb)
"This old town been home long as I remember, This town gonna be here long after I'm gone. East side west side take a close look 'round her, You been down but you're still in my bones." -- The Michael Stanley Band
"Old friend, what are you looking for? After those many years abroad you come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land." -- George Seferis
"Out of the blue and into the black." -- Neil Young
This book is gratefully dedicated to my children.
My mother and my wife taught me how to be a man. My children taught me how to be free.

Naomi Rachel King, at fourteen;

Joseph Hillstrom King, at twelve;

Owen Philip King, at seven.

Kids, fiction is the truth inside the lie, and the truth of this fiction is simple enough: the magic exists

S.K.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made out of a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.
Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness.
We all float down here.
If there are certain preconditions for the use of magic, then those preconditions will inevitably arrange themselves.
“A child blind from birth doesn't even know he's blind until someone tells him. Even then
he has only the most academic idea of what blindness is; only the formerly sighted have a
real grip on the thing”
“We lie
best when we lie to ourselves.”

Seven children band together to fight a creature that has been feeding off the fears of the people in the small town of Derry for generations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169514, Mass Market Paperback)

They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they were grown-up men and women who had gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them could withstand the force that drew them back to Derry, Maine to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name. What was it? Read It and find out...if you dare!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

It began--and ended--in 1958 when seven desperate children searched in the drains beneath Derry for an evil creature, but in 1985, Mike Hanlon, once one of those children, makes six phone calls and disinters an unremembered promise that sets off the ultimate terror.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible