It by Stephen King

It (1986)

by Stephen King

14,748279219 (4.08)1 / 514
    Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (amyblue, msouliere)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (Locke)
    Locke: Both novels deal with themes of childhood horrors and coming of age. Both have a subtle melancholy tone!
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Guardians by Andrew Pyper (lippylibrarian)
    lippylibrarian: Both books feature a group of childhood friends returning to face the horrors of their small hometown after the suicide of a close friend.
    Phantoms by Dean Koontz (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Koontz's take on the shape-shifting monster is more scientific, less epic/supernatural, but entertaining too.
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)
    Stinger by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Straight on 'Til Morning by Christopher Golden (mniday)
    Vigilantes #1: Het teken by Gaudin (comtso)
    comtso: Des amis d'enfance, devenus adultes, se retrouvent pour affronter un ennemi de leur passé. Pour réussir, ils doivent retrouver ce en quoi ils croyaient enfants.
    The Glister by John Burnside (Jthierer)
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2810michael)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are about a small town infected by an evil influence.
    The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott (ShelfMonkey)

English (261)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (277)
Took me a really long time to read but every little bit of detail was worth it! One of my favorite Stephen King books! ( )
  Angi2010 | Sep 5, 2018 |
Very good book. The day that I finished reading this book, the 90's version of the movie was on TV and the movie sucked! They changed so many things that I didn't even feel like it was the same story. Though this book is a long read, it was good. I would definitely read it again. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
Ok so let me first start off saying I have seen this movie multiple times (the old and the new). Let me also say this was the movie that my childhood fears that have morphed into adult fears derives from. Clowns. Hate them F******! Always have, always will.

So enough about the movie….

The book was long, very long. This was my first Stephen King book, although I have seen a lot of the movies. But again this book was long. I just want to get that part out there because sometimes long books are not a good thing.

It did not scare me like I thought it was going to, maybe because I was just reading a description not forced to look into the devil itself (a f******* clown), seriously I hate them.

Now for the book itself, the writing was great, it truly was. The story is great. Where I find the problem is the length. A book this long needs MORE going on to keep the reader interested.

Did I finish?

Did I enjoy it?

Could it have been better
Hell Yes

Stephen King is a good author, an artist with words so to speak. I will probably read more of his books in the future. Take off about 300 pages or so in this book and it would have 5 Stars hands down
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Hands down one o the best books I have ever read! Though it took me nearly three months to read it, the time I spent with it has been thrilling. I initially was going to read this along with my niece, however I am glad she decided not to venture into it. Much of what I loved about it, besides being terrified, was feeling the wonderment of fear that I felt as a child growing up in the country. Though I grew up in the 80's not the 50's, the magic I felt at that age was rekindled as I read this book. Now that I have finished it, it will be a bit of a mourning period as I leave the characters behind. ( )
1 vote caseybp | Aug 9, 2018 |
Good book, but not entirely sure it was worth it. I had to take a lot of breaks. I loved the sections where the losers club were kids. Stephen King writes nostalgia so beautifully. Some of the rest dragged on way too long ... There were times I wasn't sure I was going to finish. But I did. Movie was good too! ( )
  Vivian_Metzger | Jul 25, 2018 |

Rekiaro, PäiviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It (1990IMDb)
It (2017IMDb)
"This old town been home long as I remember, This town gonna be here long after I'm gone. East side west side take a close look 'round her, You been down but you're still in my bones." -- The Michael Stanley Band
"Old friend, what are you looking for? After those many years abroad you come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land." -- George Seferis
"Out of the blue and into the black." -- Neil Young
This book is gratefully dedicated to my children.
My mother and my wife taught me how to be a man. My children taught me how to be free.

Naomi Rachel King, at fourteen;

Joseph Hillstrom King, at twelve;

Owen Philip King, at seven.

Kids, fiction is the truth inside the lie, and the truth of this fiction is simple enough: the magic exists

S.K.
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made out of a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.
Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness.
We all float down here.
If there are certain preconditions for the use of magic, then those preconditions will inevitably arrange themselves.
“A child blind from birth doesn't even know he's blind until someone tells him. Even then
he has only the most academic idea of what blindness is; only the formerly sighted have a
real grip on the thing”
“We lie
best when we lie to ourselves.”

Seven children band together to fight a creature that has been feeding off the fears of the people in the small town of Derry for generations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169514, Mass Market Paperback)

They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they were grown-up men and women who had gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them could withstand the force that drew them back to Derry, Maine to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name. What was it? Read It and find out...if you dare!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

It began--and ended--in 1958 when seven desperate children searched in the drains beneath Derry for an evil creature, but in 1985, Mike Hanlon, once one of those children, makes six phone calls and disinters an unremembered promise that sets off the ultimate terror.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,994,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible