The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child,…

by Cathy LaGrow, Cindy Martinusen Coloma (Contributor)

"In 1928, 16-year-old Minka was on a picnic in the woods when she was assaulted and raped [and became pregnant]. The baby was secretly born, named Betty Jane, and given up for adoption. For decades, Minka wrote letters trying to get news of her daughter; she kept loving and praying for her, even though she never dared believe they would meet again. Until nearly eighty years later, when Minka whispered [a] secret, impossible prayer for the first time ... Unbeknownst to Minka, that very same day, a judge was releasing the sealed adoption records to her 77-year-old daughter. And soon, Minka's phone would ring"--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:DawnMHamsher
Title:The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing, and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up
Authors:Cathy LaGrow
Other authors:Cindy Martinusen Coloma (Contributor)
Info:Tyndale Momentum (2014), Hardcover, 344 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing, and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up by Cathy LaGrow

The Waiting is the story of enduring faith through many trials, but more than this, it’s a story of the providence of God. This is a compelling story beautifully told.
  rbclibrary | May 14, 2017 |
I received this book free and really enjoyed it. It is a biography about a teenage girl who was sadly raped and persuaded by her family to give up the resulting child for adoption. The mother mourned for years over her "lost" daughter even after marrying and having children of her own. Incredibly they were reunited when the mother was 94 years of age after a grandchild began digging into their family history.

The story is extremely well written and the detail contained seems almost unbelievable for a biography about events that began 100 years ago. However, there is a section at the end of the book where I expected to read that poetic licence had been taken in places, instead the section explains how the details have been researched and checked for accuracy! The author is one of the grandchildren of the mother and everything has been checked....Knowing this and the commitment and dedication that were involved in writing and publishing this story makes it even more interesting.

Although the story has a relatively happy ending I couldn't help feeling a burden of sadness for the decades of lost years especially as the mother mourned for so long and said that she thought of her daughter every day. Those at the adoption agency were surprised to be persistently contacted for years after the adoption had already taken place as most mothers simply moved on. I don't know whether anyone involved would have chosen to do things differently if they had a chance to do it all over again.

From a Christian perspective the book is clean and free of bad language or violent content. The rape is described but not in graphic detail. The Christian faith of those involved is alluded to and many of the people are involved in Christian ministry/leadership. However, the Gospel isn't clearly presented within the book. God and prayer are referenced at times and it is my hope that this family had a personal saving faith in Jesus.

I would recommend this book to adult readers.

sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
Minka DeYoung grew up in circumstances that were simultaneously difficult and safe. Working alongside her parents and being unable to attend high school, Minka is innocent and shy. On a picnic one summer day in 1928, Minka slips away for a walk in the woods with another girl, only to be sexually assaulted by a stranger. Understandably confused and hurt, she later realizes that she is also pregnant. Sent away to hide the pregnancy and give the baby up for adoption, Minka falls in love with her beautiful baby girl, Betty Jane. Realizing that giving her to another family is for the best, Minka sacrifices her own desires and leaves the child for its adoptive parents. Almost eighty years later, she utters a prayer asking to see her daughter, but never expects that it will happen. Such a prayer seems impossible, but Minka's story exemplifies the truth that with God, nothing is impossible. Read more in The Waiting by Cathy LaGrow.

At times, The Waiting was difficult to read and I found myself on the verge of tears. It's not light, fluffy entertainment, but a remarkable true story that has the potential to change hearts with its themes of perseverance, faith and love.

The author expertly brings the reader into Minka's experience with vivid narration, intriguing historical detail and a heart-wrenching plot. Some details of the rape are given, but only the necessities that help the reader to understand the story. While it is unpleasant to read about and probably not appropriate for younger readers, it is not overly graphic. I enjoyed how much history was integrated within the story. Not just big events like wars and economic upheaval, but lesser known things like the doctor following the standard procedure of the day in dosing Minka with ether when she came to the pushing stage of childbirth.

The cover of The Waiting is stunning and the photos inside contribute positively to the reader's experience. To see Minka and Ruth (Betty Jane) together after reading their story is such a poignant image.

Readers who are looking for an inspirational, true story of perseverance and faith will enjoy The Waiting. This book is a keeper for me. It's not something I'll want to read again in three months, but I'm sure I'll read it again in the future.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  BeautyintheBinding | Apr 15, 2015 |
Oh, Minka...what a story you have! And what a testament to your faith in God and love for your daughter.

Great story. Tragic, but with a very happy ending. You fall in love with Minka and her family and you love hearing about her life, even the little details. I didn't want to put it down. Mothers will love reading this...the bond between mother and child is powerful and this story celebrates it better than any other I've ever read!

I am amazed at how nicely the story flows and all the life details that are in there. What an undertaking for the authors, Cathy LaGrow (Minka's granddaughter) and Cindy Coloma. I was also very pleased to read how Minka's faith grew as she got older and how God answered her prayers. This story can encourage so many!

Disclaimer: I received this book from Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  DawnMHamsher | May 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,582,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible