If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur by Linda…

If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur

by Linda Bailey

All the uses for the dinosaur you happen to have in your house. The uses include a lifeguard, a pool toy, a pool slide, a pool chair, a basketball hoop holder, a snowplow, a lawnmower, a tree-trimmer, a garden plow, a taxi, a carrier for a newspaper deliverer, a kite, a bookmark, a footstool, a pillow. When we got to the bookmark, I made each and every student promise me NOT to use THEIR dinosaur as a bookmark! (Or they'll have to pay for the book!) A fun read, and definitely an intro to fantasy ( )
  Librarian09 | Mar 9, 2016 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

What kid doesn't think dinosaurs are awesome? And how many people know what to do if a stray dino just happens to make its way into your home? Okay, so maybe that's a little unlikely. In her newest picture book, Linda Bailey coaches the reader on what to do in the occasion that a dinosaur comes to make its way into the lives, and hearts, of their family.

Now, when you imagine keeping a dinosaur around, it is likely that you would assume it would just take up space and cause more havoc than you need interrupting your daily routine. But you'd be surprised! They can be quite useful. It can mow your lawn, grind your coffee, serve as a burglar alarm...you can even use it as a paper shredder! However, I would advise you to keep tabs on that use with your children.

There are some things you wouldn't want your dinosaur to do for you, such as carrying your picnic basket (the food probably won't make it to the destination). Some dinosaurs make better kites and babysitters than others, but that's okay. You'll figure it out. Bailey says that once you start using your dinosaur, it will be a wonderful long-term relationship!

The illustrations are very well done, and I love the way everything is shaded. The artwork compliments the narration and also shows movement where necessary. The illustrator is a story artist at Dreamworks Animation. If you like what you see here, you should definitely check out his website and browse his other work. It's pretty fantastic! On this particular project, he used a program called Sketchwork Pro. He's also been generous enough to give fans a sneak peek at some of the illustrations he did for If You Happen To Have a Dinosaur, and you can enjoy those here:

This was a delightful book! Between the hilarious narration and the fun, colorful illustrations, you and your child will stay entertained! Do I sense more books like this?:

But if you don't happen
to have a dinosaur lying
around your living room

(Not everyone does.)
What if you have an octopus instead

Or...
a porcupine,
a penguin,
a saber-tooth,
a sasquatch,
a dodo,
or a camel,
or a kangaroo

A special thanks to NetGalley and Tundra Books for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
Washington Children's Choice Nominee
  Liz_Haggerty | Jul 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The theme of this book seemed familiar, and I went off to the library to find a copy of Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff. The humour in Bailey's book is sharper, the art edgier and retro, reminding me of 1960's cartoons. I wasn't much taken by this new version of an old idea, but I showed it to some children of my acquaintance, and they burst into laughter about the baby's bare behind. I was outvoted. ( )
  paeonia | Oct 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has earned a spot in our bedtime story rotation! I was initially sceptical; the artwork seems very 'adult' at first glance, and the humour rather sophisticated. However, my three-year-old loved this book, and I have grown to enjoy it too! On (multiple) re-readings, the book has become a favourite; the weird and wacky family and animals in the book offer much to discuss, and adults will appreciate the subtle dinosaur-esque hidden jokes. ( )
  chazzard | Sep 3, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur by Linda Bailey is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible