If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur by Linda…

If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur

by Linda Bailey

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What can you do with your dinosaur? All sorts of things!
This beautifully illustrated book appeals to children's imagination. Dinosaurs are useful for everything from babysitting to clearing snow, and I'm sure that kids reading this book will think up even more ways that a dinosaur could be used. The illustrations in this book are beautiful and full of emotion and excitement, it's a truly lovely book. A perfect read for imaginative kids, or anyone who is a fan of dinosaurs. ( )
  leahdawn | Jun 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

This was a sturdy board book with two perennial favorites on the cover - a dinosaur, and a bare bottom. That will make it a hit with my kindergarteners, for sure!

Inside was not so much a story as an illustrated list of things you could do with a dinosaur, if you happened to have one lying around. The dinosaurs are varied, as well as their tasks. Not all dinos are suited to all tasks. The colors were bright, the situational comedy appropriate for the age level, and the ending open, so that you could have a discussion or encourage a responsive drawing or writing of what students think they might do with a dinosaur. ( )
  csfoster | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My 3-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son both like this book. I, as a mother and librarian and ex-elementary-school-teacher, think it's just ok. The illustrations are engaging but the story lacks that something special. It reads like a list of what a dinosaur could do for you instead of a story.
Still, my children like the book enough to ask me to read it to them again, so it appeals to the preschool crowd. ( )
  TheOaksPCW | May 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This board book of Bailey's picture book by the same name is somewhat improved. The material left out bogged down the picture book. The illustrations seem more even, the smaller size seems to improve them. In particular the illustrations when the dinosaurs act as kites is much better in the smaller size. However, as a board book it is for the youngest children. As such, to specify a dinosaur would be useful as a burglar deterrent is, to me, inappropriate. ( )
  geraldinefm | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book makes me wish I had a dinosaur! It was silly and fun to read about all the great uses for a dino as a pet. The illustrations were creative, detailed and adorable. This version is the newly released board-book version of the book which was sturdy and I think parents and younger kids will really enjoy it.

The overall theme is a lot of fun, it is more of a picture book, with minimal text and the illustrations do a great job implying what the text is saying. I think dinosaur lovers will really enjoy this book (and parents as well, and parent dino lovers). We all should have dinosaur pets! ( )
  sszkutak | Apr 10, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Linda Bailey's book If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Linda Bailey's book If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible