The Natural by Bernard Malamud

The Natural (1952)

by Bernard Malamud (Author)

The Natural is an oddly written metaphysical examination of baseball. It has some strange turns of phrase and even weirder similies and metaphores. It's trying to be a Flowers for Algernon sports novel and it just isn't. Roy isn't a likeable or honerable enough of a character for me to care whether or not he succeeds in his career. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 4, 2014 |
I've read several Malamud novels but had never quite gotten around to this one. And it is really astounding. From the first scene with the amateur Roy Hobbs striking out one the leading sluggers in a fairground bet to the tragic ending. It is an all-too-frequent cliche about baseball novels, but The Natural really expands into the mythic, with large timeless figures, all of them tragically flawed. Plus the baseball scenes themselves hold your attention with all of the suspense and interest of a good sports novel or movie. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Much darker view in the novel than the (more) famous movie. ( )
  kcshankd | Nov 29, 2013 |
I was pretty blown away by this and I want to read it again already. It's dark, mysterious, and is more about life and human nature than baseball.

The first thing you need to do is forget about the movie. It can't help but color your perception as you're reading, and the movie is completely different from the book in tone. There are few likable characters in this book and no angels. That can sometimes really put me off a book, but these are not Snidely Whiplash moustache twirlers either. They are just real, flawed characters.

Although I've always been a fan of the movie, I feel a little let down and think I probably like it less now that I've read the book. This is a much deeper, complex story than the movie.

One thing I've noticed with the reviews is that some people just don't like books that aren't "feel good" stories. It seems to me that people can read and watch stories of murder and horrific acts all day, but give them something that actually shows the pain of everyday life and they get irritated and/or angry. This is not a "feel good" story. ( )
  bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |
Roy Hobbs faces the demons of baseball (and loses)
  FKarr | Apr 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374502005, Paperback)

Roy Hobbs, the protagonist of The Natural, makes the mistake of pronouncing aloud his dream: to be the best there ever was. Such hubris, of course, invites divine intervention, but the brilliance of Bernard Malamud's novel is the second chance it offers its hero, elevating him--and his story--into the realm of myth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

A Pulitzer Prize-winning novel follows the career of baseball player Roy Hobbs, a natural with a bat whose dreams of playing in the big leagues are deferred by a youthful indiscretion, but who finally becomes a hero.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,391,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible