College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year…

College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year

by Julie Zeilinger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was really helpful. I am going off to college in a month and this was the first college prep guide that i have read which was written by someone who had recently gone through school, and whose writing was specifically aimed at girls. i liked Julie's voice while reading. It didn't feel like a boring college book that you feel obligated to read because your mom told you to, I actually wanted to read what she had to say. ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Jul 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a great book. As a mother of a daughter who will be graduating in 2015 and heading off to college, Julie Zeilinger's book is a must-read for her. I was impressed by the way the book was put together, including things like financing school, dealing with sex and alcohol, and learning how to conquer academics. For such a young author, Julie was impressively cohesive and knowledgeable about the college process in general. I even learned some things reading this book! (It's been a few years since I've been in college myself.) I would recommend this book to any woman heading to college in the next year or two. I was so impressed by the academics section I'm making my son read that chapter! Kudos; I will recommend this to others. ( )
  beachmama43 | Jul 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Julie Zellinger is a popular blogger and feminist whose chatty style should appeal to the target audience. (Full disclosure) I am not the target audience, but rather someone who experienced my college career in the 70s, so in reviewing this book I'm endeavoring to put myself back into the mindset of a rising 17-18 year old looking to set off for college in the fall. Chapter 1 - What College is Really Like - left me thinking I'd dived off a wall into Valley Girl purgatory. The writing did get better as the book moved on. Chapter 2 deals with issues that face women before they actually get to the campus; chapter 3 with academics, chapter 4 with mind, body, spirit. This chapter dives into physical health, emotional health and sexual health, but noticeably absent for someone whose relationship with God impacts my everyday life was any mention of spiritual health. She shares some important thoughts on impending debt and what choices need to be made to avoid crippling debt after college. Finally she deals with the social scene. In truly post-modern form, Zellinger makes absolutely no judgments about any of the myriad options she places before her readers. I'm going to ask a friend in this age demographic to read the book and give her opinion, after which I may revise this review and rating, but all-in-all I'd give this one a pass. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Jun 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading this book.It took me a little longer than any book of this size would usually take me because it is filled with lots of useful information!!It has advise about academics, social life and finances and much more.As a current college Jr. I would say that the advice given in this book is very helpful.When I first started college I was kind of clueless and had to go through some of the things she mentions in the book but having this as a "you're going to be okay" guide would have been nice.She explains most topics thoroughly and makes you feel like you can get through this.I did disagree with a couple of things she mentions because she is very blunt and liberal about her beliefs in the book but I wont get into that.
Overall a great read especially if you are going to be attending college any time soon!! :) ( )
  LeslyG | Jun 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book in a Librarything giveaway. I will be giving this book as a gift but I first wanted to read it so that I could give an honest review. This will be a perfect gift for a girl going off to college her freshman year. You can find out everything from what to expect with a roommate to what sorts of things to pack before you you go. There is also an important section on body, mind and wellness that covers things such as depression, social pressures and sexual health. Parents will also find the chapter on debt very useful. I would recommend this book to anyone that knows a girl going off to college and would like to get her a book with some helpful facts and information in it. ( )
  mwinem | Jun 10, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year (Rev. ed.) by Julie Zeilinger is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible