College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year…

College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year

by Julie Zeilinger

198537,190 (3.95)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review.

From the opening paragraphs of this book, I knew I was going to enjoy it. The writing style was fun and unique. I didn't feel like I was being preached at or told what to do. The book wasn't cliche and tackled tough issues. Most college advice books have the same advice, but this book challenged the popular "myths" about college life. The advice was given by real people, and it was very honest. I'll be going to college fairly soon, so I'll definitely reread when the time comes closer. Also, some of the advice about finding balance and maintaining health applied to my high school life.
I definitely would recommend this book! ( )
  abrooke | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was pleased to know that I will be receiving the revised edition of College 101 as I have a soon-to-be college bound kid. So when my copy finally arrived, I devoured it in one sitting.

The book is written by Julie Zeilinger who graduated from Barnard College in 2015. Hence, she offers fresh, straight-forward and helpful advice for incoming college freshmen. Among the tips she shared that I found useful are:

*tips on what to pack
*the different types of roommates
*study skills
*taking care of your whole self (mind, body, heart)
*advice on obtaining loans and scholarships
*common misconceptions about college life

This book isn't a comprehensive coverage, rather, it gives readers no-nonsense, bite-sized advice on how to navigate college life. I will happily give this book to my daughter so she too can read it. I'll just make sure to read chapter 4 (Mind, Body and Spirit) with her as sensitive topics such as sexual health and abusive relationships are discussed.

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. Thank you to LibraryThing and Prufrock Press for my copy. ( )
  VavaViolet | May 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved the information in this book. I am currently already going to college and have been for a few years but would have loved to receive this book as a graduation gift before my freshman year. ( )
  sam276 | May 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was really helpful. I am going off to college in a month and this was the first college prep guide that i have read which was written by someone who had recently gone through school, and whose writing was specifically aimed at girls. i liked Julie's voice while reading. It didn't feel like a boring college book that you feel obligated to read because your mom told you to, I actually wanted to read what she had to say. ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Jul 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a great book. As a mother of a daughter who will be graduating in 2015 and heading off to college, Julie Zeilinger's book is a must-read for her. I was impressed by the way the book was put together, including things like financing school, dealing with sex and alcohol, and learning how to conquer academics. For such a young author, Julie was impressively cohesive and knowledgeable about the college process in general. I even learned some things reading this book! (It's been a few years since I've been in college myself.) I would recommend this book to any woman heading to college in the next year or two. I was so impressed by the academics section I'm making my son read that chapter! Kudos; I will recommend this to others. ( )
  beachmama43 | Jul 7, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Julie Zeilinger's book College 101: A Girl's Guide to Freshman Year (Rev. ed.) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Julie Zeilinger's book College 101 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible