November 9: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

November 9: A Novel

by Colleen Hoover

3403232,303 (4.28)1 / 1

English (31)  German (1)  All (32)
I know you either love Colleen Hoover or you hate her work. I am in the love category. She is one of my favorite authors. I have been trying to save some of her books to read for when I am feeling slumpy, so I had put off grabbing for November 9. When I heard she had a new book coming out I was excited, not only for the new book but to be able to grab one of my unread books.

I loved the beginning and how our characters meet in the restaurant. I also loved how this went beyond just looks and how Ben sees the true beauty in Fallon. I was smiling the whole the time I was reading this book…up until the plot twists. Then I was reading with my jaw dropped, and then came some tears. I loved this!

This was another amazing read from Colleen Hoover and I just need more! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Apr 13, 2018 |
I read this without a glance at the synopsis. I don't read romance. Its way too dramatic and cheesy for me. I assume Hoover wrote well for romance.. I have little to compare it with. The dialogue made me cringe frequently but I suppose that's my fault for reading something not suited to my taste. I can't give a star rating because there's a 1 star 5 star war raging in the comments section that I want no part of. Keep doing you Colleen, I think I'll stop blind reading.
  staceyfronczak | Apr 3, 2018 |
This is my first Colleen Hoover book and I am torn about how I feel. I’ve read a few reviews on this book and most people either love it or hate it. I’m somewhere in the middle. I neither loved it nor hate it. I’ll admit, I want it to really like it – in fact I wanted to LOVE IT. I’ve heard so many great things about Colleen Hoover and her books come highly recommended and this being the first book I read of hers, I wanted to feel as if I wanted more.

The concept of the book was interesting and I enjoyed a lot of the quotes referenced throughout. November 9 is a significant date in the life of Fallon and Ben. It is a date that connects them in many ways. November 9 has marked both of them with tragedies. It was the date Fallon was critically injured in a fire that left her with scars over 30% of her body. The fire happened on the same day that Ben found his mother dead in their house after she committed suicide. Fallon, who was a teen actress before the fire, and Ben, who is a writer, meet on November 9, two years after both tragedies occurred, in a restaurant when Ben, wanting to play the “hero,” played Fallon’s fake boyfriend during a confrontation Fallon was having with her father. That was Fallon’s last day in California as she was leaving the following morning to start a new life in New York City. Fallon and Ben spend the rest of the evening together and agree to meet every November 9 for the next five years. The catch is they cannot have any type of contact and/or communication throughout the year. They must move on with their lives as if they were not a part of one another’s lives. During that time, Ben will write his first novel based on their story. The couple meets on November 9 for five years in a row before Fallon discovers that Ben was ultimately responsible for the fire that destroyed her life.

I know a lot of people had issues with Ben’s character. They found him to be controlling and somewhat abusive. I didn’t get that same sense but I didn’t trust his character. From the beginning of the book something about Ben’s characters struck me as being odd and not too likeable. There were times that I felt that he was “blaming” Fallon for her own insecurities because she covered her scars and didn’t look at people in the eye. This was a bit unfair on his part. Fallon was more relatable and likeable. Her life had truly changed and I feel it was hard adjusting from being in the spotlight because she was a popular actress to being in the spotlight for her physical appearance.

The problem I had with this book was that even after I read the first few chapters of Ben’s story and learned what he had been through, I still didn’t quite believe he was in love with Fallon. I feel that the minute Ben “played the hero” that first night they met, he wanted to be just that; a hero who saved Fallon. In my opinion he felt a sense of responsibility because her scars were his fault. At the same time, I feel that because Ben was the first guy to give Fallon attention and he “looked” pass her scars to her inner person Fallon fell in love with him.

I don’t believe their love story. These characters were co-dependent on one another in order to survive the tragedies of their past. Was Ben really in love with Fallon or is what he felt for her a sense of responsibility? Was Fallon truly in love with Ben or was she fascinated with the fact that he was the first boy who looked at her and gave her attention after the fire? If the events of that first November 9th didn’t tie them together, would they still fall in love with one another?

Silent_Whispers | Mar 30, 2018 |
Oh Colleen... What have you done to me again? Yes, again. First in Slammed, then Confess, now this. This. I am almost speechless. I don't know what to say about this book. How does one come up with such unique and intriguing plots and them weave the words in such a moving and profound way? How does one keep writing book after book that can move everyone, touch everyone's heart on a regular basis?

Colleen is such a word magician. She waves her little wand and poof, instant awesome book. I swear. Colleen, can I borrow your wand for just a minute please?

Okay okay. On to this book... What an imaginative plot. Two people meet and have this connection they don't want to lose. They only have hours before they must part, so they agree to meet on the same day every year for the next five years. I am sure you can guess where this will go, but you really don't know.

I couldn't put this book down. It is so moving, heartbreaking, heartwarming and addictive. I turned the pages with such anticipation from start to finish. Colleen broke my heart. She mended my heart. Broke it again. And so on and so on. This book is pure bliss. I don't usually read books more than once. I don't have the attention span to read something I have read already. This book though? This book, I know I can read it again and again. Maybe I will agree to read this book once a year, every year on the same day. What do you think? ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
What's up with this cuteness?! I didn't expect...anything that happened here. Too bad I had to sleep because otherwise, this would've been finished long ago.
MORE COLLEEN HOOVER, PLEASE! ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |

"Beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover returns with an unforgettable love story between a writer and his unexpected muse. Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon's last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist. Can Ben's relationship with Fallon and simultaneously his novel be considered a love story if it ends in heartbreak?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,569,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible