At the End of an Age by John Lukacs

At the End of an Age

by John Lukacs

132None139,449 (3.44)1

No reviews

This compelling book is a deeply informed reflection on the nature of historical and scientific knowledge. Renowned historian Juhn Lukacs asserts that now, even at the end of the modern age, our understanding of the universe is based on what we fallible human beings have imagined and defined in a historical continuum; it is religion that is the source of the highest form of knowledge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

"At the End of an Age is a reflection on the nature of historical and scientific knowledge. Of extraordinary philosophical, religious, and historical scope, it is the product of a great historian's lifetime of thought on the subject of his discipline and the human condition. While running counter to most of the accepted ideas and doctrines of our time, it offers a compelling framework for understanding history, science, and man's capacity for self-knowledge." "In this work, John Lukacs describes how we in the Western world have now been living through the ending of an entire historical age that began in Western Europe about five hundred years ago. Unlike people during the ending of the Middle Ages or the Roman empire, we can know where we are. But how and what is it that we know?"--BOOK JACKET.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300101619, 0300092962

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,090,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible