Eyes on You by Kate White

Eyes on You

by Kate White

Eyes on You is billed as a "riveting psychological suspense" in the synopsis. I can't honestly say I was convinced of that during this read. There are things about Kate White's newest story that are done well. The writing is solid and the blinding glamour of television celebrities is evident. It's just that I never really felt the suspense that I was promised. Let me explain.

First off, it's evident that White once wrote for the world of fashion. The opening page of Robin's story puts that front and center, as she describes a brand new pair of heels she's donned for a book launch party. Rather in-depth. See, Robin is caught up in the life of a celebrity. A television personality, and a successful author, her life revolves around being known. She's used to being in the spotlight, loves the validation that comes with the job, and she's not shy about it. It is this very fact that puts her in the cross-hairs of a mysterious enemy.

That being said, most of the book really is dedicated to Robin's life. Instead of the promised suspense, which is only mildly peppered in, the reader is treated to lavish parties, sumptuous dinners, and illicit affairs. I found myself skimming forward in an effort to finally get to the next piece of puzzle. I wanted less Robin, and more mystery. Even the actual events that took place to make her feel like she was being stalked drove me a bit mad. They weren't edgy, or exciting. Which made the ending of this book feel like it came out of left field, and not in a good way.

I'll admit that this book is well-written. The characters are fleshed out enough to love or hate, the lifestyle is described in all its glory, and Robin is an interesting enough protagonist. The problem is that this never felt like psychological suspense. I never felt worried for Robin. I never felt nervous about what might happen next. This felt like a story about a woman who has made it to the top, and is afraid to let it slip. Bill it as that? I'll take it. Bill it as a suspense novel? You haven't quite hit the mark. So, three stars to Eyes on You. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
the plot had lots of twists and turns making me second guess ,you Thoughts. I think the book could've had more excitement and thrilling moments. ( )
  relativelybooktastic | Nov 22, 2017 |
Not my kind of book. I should have known when it started off with a description of a pair of shoes. It got recommended to me by the library ebook system, which just goes to show that the recommendation system really isn't very good. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
I read this as part of the "Big Library Read". I wanted to like this book--I typically enjoy psychological thrillers and thought this would be a good one. I was left underwhelmed, to say the least.

I split my reading between the eBook and the audio. I do NOT recommend the audio. The narrator was the worst. Over-pronounciations; emphasis on strange words. The voices she attempted to do--I'm still laughing about her interpretation of Potts. But beyond the narration, the book just wasn't good. Endless descriptions of what people are wearing--like anyone cares or it adds anything to the plot. We get it, you like expensive things. The main character wasn't likable. Actually, now that I think about it, none of the characters were likable, or particularly smart. And the author made every. single. person seem like the prime suspect, and not in a clever way, yet I knew who it was very early on. Agatha Christie, she's not. Then we get to the end, and we have the briefest of climaxes, and it ends. Abruptly. Like this review.

TLDR: This book is dumb. Don't waste your time. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Super suspenseful. First I'd read from this author and it had me guessing until the end. Great book. ( )
  vickiayala | Sep 22, 2016 |

Kate Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craden, AbbyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
The shoes had made a nasty dent in my paycheck, but I wasn't sorry I'd splurged.

From New York Times bestselling author Kate White comes a riveting psychological suspense in which a media star must battle a malevolent enemy who may be disturbingly close to her.

After losing her on-air job two years ago, television host Robin Trainer has fought her way back and now she’s hotter than ever. With her new show climbing in the ratings and her first book a bestseller, she’s being dubbed a media double threat.

But suddenly, things begin to go wrong. Small incidents at first: a nasty note left in her purse; her photo shredded. But the obnoxious quickly becomes threatening when the foundation the makeup artist uses burns Robin’s face. It wasn’t an accident—someone had deliberately doctored with the product.

An adversary with a dark agenda wants to hurt Robin, and the clues point to someone she works with every day. While she frantically tries to put the pieces together and unmask this hidden foe, it becomes terrifyingly clear that the person responsible isn’t going to stop until Robin loses everything that matters to her . . . including her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:03 -0400)

After two years of fighting her way back to the top, television host Robin Trainer becomes the target of an enemy with a dark agenda and must figure out who is reponsible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,834,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible