I Pledge Allegiance by Pat Mora

I Pledge Allegiance

by Pat Mora

Pat Mora and her daughter Libby Martinez collaborated in writing this book. Libby's great aunt Lobo emigrated from Mexico when she was young and jut recently decided to take the US citizenship test. Libby is learning the Pledge of Allegiance in school and at the end of the week she will have to recite it in front of the class. A Libby practices she learn about the real meaning of the Pledge. Lobo explains to Libby why she likes to call America her second home. I found it interesting that in the author's notes it tells the readers that Lobo studied hard for her citizenship test and the judge only asked her one question, "who is the president of the United States."
I would recommend this book to grades K-3. This is a good choice to read when introducing the history and meaning of Pledge. I liked that Libby and her aunt were both learning the Pledge for their own reason. ( )
  epoche | Oct 21, 2014 |
When I first read this book, I felt immediately that Pat Mora and Libby Martinez had created a very important book. When I read in this morning's newspaper the statistics of the increase of Hispanic children in a nearby school system, it only solidifies my thoughts.

Libby's great aunt Lobo has passed her citizenship test after living in the states for years, and now she and her niece are both perfecting the pledge of allegiance, practicing each night, with Lobo helping Libby to understand what the words really mean as she explains her family's story and how they came to the United States from Mexico years before.

Pair with Bill Martin and Chris Raschka's I Pledge Allegiance. ( )
  pataustin | Aug 31, 2014 |
This book is about a Mexican immigrant who is gaining her citizenship and the relations of her having to say the Pledge of Allegiance and her granddaughter saying is in her classroom. The pictures are very sweet and the faded color in them was a nice touch to go with the gentle feeling of the story.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 6, 2014 |

Libby's great aunt, Lobo, is from Mexico, but the United States has been her home for many years, and she wants to become a U.S. citizen. At the end of the week, Lobo will say the Pledge of Allegiance at a special ceremony. Libby is also learning the Pledge this week, at school—at the end of the week, she will stand up in front of everyone and lead the class in the Pledge. Libby and Lobo practice together—asking questions and sharing stories and memories—until they both stand tall and proud, with their hands over their hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:39:29 -0400)

"Libby and her great-aunt, Lobo, both learn the Pledge of Allegiance--Libby for school, and Lobo for her U.S. citizenship ceremony"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible