I Pledge Allegiance by Pat Mora

I Pledge Allegiance

by Pat Mora

Summary: Libby is a young girl who has a great aunt, Lobo, who is soon to become a U.S. citizen. She is excited for her and so is her teacher and class. She tells her teacher that soon Lobo will have to say the Pledge of Allegiance in front of the courts, and her teacher then tells Libby that the class will also be learning the Pledge of Allegiance and practicing all week. As they practice, the class is taught the pledge and its importance, Libby learns why her great aunt sees becoming an citizen is significant, and also what the flag means to her.

Personal Reaction: Excellent read describing the differences of culture, ethnicity, values, and the meaning of being a U.S. citizen. I enjoyed the illustrations, and the repetition of the meaningful Pledge of Allegiance.

Extension Ideas: Good read when discussing multiculturalism, the American Flag, and the Pledge. Extend to art and create a classroom flag, and have each child draw a picture of their family.
  aortiz | Oct 17, 2015 |
Libby and her Great Aunt Lobo are learning the Pledge of Allegiance at the same time—but for different reasons. Lobo, who came to U.S. from Mexico as a young girl, is practicing it in order to become a citizen of the United States. A warm, gentle intergenerational story that offers perspectives on patriotism from a child and a new citizen. Cheerful watercolor illustrations by Patrice Barton. The authors note that the Pledge written by Francis Bellamy and first published in 1892 has been modified four times, most notably with the phrase "under God." The authors should have explained that and what the other changes were. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I really liked this book for a number of reasons. First, I really like the illustrations and thought they were very eye-catching. Libby's aunt Lobo is trying to gain citizenship in America, and she must learn the Pledge of Allegiance. Coincidentally, Libby is learning the Pledge of Allegiance in her school, and they both practice it so Libby can recite it in front of her class and so that Lobo can say it at her citizenship ceremony. I thought the story was unique because of the way the Pledge was depicted in it. It teaches students about the importance of the Pledge of Allegiance to Americans and would be a great way to lead students into a lesson about immigration. Additionally, I really liked how this story is based off of the author's real aunt Lobo. It makes the story seem so much more authentic and enjoyable.
  amanna2 | May 13, 2015 |
Pat Mora and her daughter Libby Martinez collaborated in writing this book. Libby's great aunt Lobo emigrated from Mexico when she was young and jut recently decided to take the US citizenship test. Libby is learning the Pledge of Allegiance in school and at the end of the week she will have to recite it in front of the class. A Libby practices she learn about the real meaning of the Pledge. Lobo explains to Libby why she likes to call America her second home. I found it interesting that in the author's notes it tells the readers that Lobo studied hard for her citizenship test and the judge only asked her one question, "who is the president of the United States."
I would recommend this book to grades K-3. This is a good choice to read when introducing the history and meaning of Pledge. I liked that Libby and her aunt were both learning the Pledge for their own reason. ( )
  epoche | Oct 21, 2014 |
When I first read this book, I felt immediately that Pat Mora and Libby Martinez had created a very important book. When I read in this morning's newspaper the statistics of the increase of Hispanic children in a nearby school system, it only solidifies my thoughts.

Libby's great aunt Lobo has passed her citizenship test after living in the states for years, and now she and her niece are both perfecting the pledge of allegiance, practicing each night, with Lobo helping Libby to understand what the words really mean as she explains her family's story and how they came to the United States from Mexico years before.

Pair with Bill Martin and Chris Raschka's I Pledge Allegiance. ( )
  pataustin | Aug 31, 2014 |

Libby's great aunt, Lobo, is from Mexico, but the United States has been her home for many years, and she wants to become a U.S. citizen. At the end of the week, Lobo will say the Pledge of Allegiance at a special ceremony. Libby is also learning the Pledge this week, at school—at the end of the week, she will stand up in front of everyone and lead the class in the Pledge. Libby and Lobo practice together—asking questions and sharing stories and memories—until they both stand tall and proud, with their hands over their hearts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:52 -0400)

"Libby and her great-aunt, Lobo, both learn the Pledge of Allegiance--Libby for school, and Lobo for her U.S. citizenship ceremony"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,898,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible