Paris Time Capsule by Ella Carey

Paris Time Capsule

by Ella Carey

11924101,247 (3.56)2

Although written first, "The Paris Time Capsule" was basically a continuation of "The House By the Lake" by the same author. While I thoroughly enjoyed the author's second novel, I found this one harder to connect with. I loved the concept and the storyline of this story and I loved the descriptions of the French countryside and the abandoned apartment in Paris.

However, I hated the writing. It was clumsy and didn't flow. The dialogue was painful to read and often had me wincing, especially at the overuse of 'honey' and 'sweetie' as terms of endearment. I found Christian, Cat's fiancé to be a condescending, officious bore. As for the ending, it felt rushed and finished with a jolt. Overall, a quick but mediocre read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Feb 16, 2017 |
I came into this book thinking "not another girl leaves boyfriend for trip to Paris. Girl meets Frenchman, then girl develops feelings for him. Boyfriend tries to bring girl home. Girl stays in France with new man. Chick lit overkill." Am I ever so glad that I couldn't have been further from the truth (well, most of it anyway). I didn't find out that it was inspired by an actual discovery until the very end. Astonishing!

To me, this book is a multifaceted gem. Cat Jordan discovers that she has inherited an apartment that has been locked up ever since 1940. Another claimant, Loic de Florian, teams up with Cat to solve a mystery of why she inherited it and not the owner's family, who were shocked to just now learn of it. He eventually gives up; however Cat's willingness to persevere pays off in the long run.

"Paris Time Capsule" fascinated me most with it's intonations. The apartment is the tangible time capsule, clearly. It had been untouched for over a half of a century. Loic takes Cat on an informational treasure hunt, for clues to his grandmother's youth, in very old buildings in very quaint villages is another. The most important one for me is what it was like to endure the loss of one's freedom, home, and possibly life once the Germans invaded France and took possession of Paris. Ms. Carey brought those hopeless days of WWII to life like no other. I was mesmerized to the very end.

Thank you, Netgalley for giving me a free copy of this book to read and give an honest review. ( )
  Connie57103 | Apr 19, 2016 |
I read this novel immediately after reading A Paris Apartment. While interesting to get two different fictional perspectives on the true story of Marthe de Florian's Paris apartment, left untouched for 70 years, Carey's novel was just a tad too made-for-TV movie-ish, and a little schlocky for my tastes.

What I find curious is that both Carey and Gable (author of A Paris Apartment) overlapped significantly:
* both featured an American female main character
* both featured American significant others (husband in one, fiancé in the other), and a French love interest
* both were epistolary at moments - Gable with diary entries, Carey with letters

While the authors' creative imaginings were different enough, I felt things were a bit cliché and bumpy in each book. I also struggled with the portrayal of the main characters - Cat and April. In each book the women had wonderful potential and strengths, but decisions made were guided by men. And the men were portrayed in higher positions of power, financially and socially. There appeared to be no real anchor of connection, or love, between Cat and Christian, and April and Troy. I wasn't buying into the relationships and found them curious/odd. In The Paris Time Capsule, the introduction of the character 'Elise' was a real sour spot for me. She completely took away from the story and, I felt, didn't really serve much of a purpose. Sorry to be kind of reviewing both books here

So, another easy, quick read. Inconsistent and not the strongest writing - The Paris Time Capsule was just a bit to light for me. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 13, 2016 |
Cat Jordan, a free-spirited photographer from New York finds out that she has a mysterious inheritance from a friend of her grandmother waiting for her in Paris. She quickly packs up her life and jets to Paris, but the inheritance isn’t quite cut and dry as it should be; the inheritance is an apartment that hasn’t been opened in at least 40 years and the handsome grandson, Loic , of the actual owner shows up last minute to claim it. As Cat and Loic explore the apartment, it becomes apparent that there are many important pieces left there and that Loic’s grandmother, Isabelle de Florian was someone of importance. Cat and Loic have to figure out just who Isabelle was, who is going to keep the inheritance and what they are going to do about each other, especially when Cat’s very straight laced boyfriend shows up to propose to her.

This was a really fun blend of historical fiction and modern romance. I loved Cat’s character and I could feel her vibrancy and kind heart leaping off of the page. The apartment and the mystery of Isabelle caught my attention right away. I wanted to dig in and explore everything along with Cat and Loic. I was very intrigued by Isabelle de Florian; I wanted to know all about her life and her relationship with Cat’s grandmother. While reading and trying to decipher Isabelle’s life through letters and artifacts, I felt like something magical was happening, the vivid descriptions of the apartment and Paris itself added to this feeling. I even liked how Cat and Loic’s relationship developed with Paris as the perfect backdrop.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Oct 27, 2015 |
In 2010, the newspapers trumpeted the real story of a long shuttered large Paris apartment having been discovered, relatively unchanged. It transpires it belonged to a Belle Époque courtesan, who died in 1939. Her granddaughter never appeared to claim it. Author Ella Carey imagines back story to this bare bones set of facts. Young New York photographer Catherine 'Cat' Jordan receives a mysterious key in the mail with instructions to appear at Parisian lawyer's office for further details as to a mysterious inheritance. The key leads to a beautiful apartment -- apparently last opened in 1940 -- and an equally attractive grandson of the last owner. Romance lovers will savor the conflict between Cat and Loic. I was more intrigued by the historical perspective and seeing how this creative author turned an interesting newspaper piece into an intriguing and satisfying novel. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Sep 12, 2015 |

Spanning three generations and inspired by the heart wrenching, impossible true mystery of a treasure filled apartment that was abandoned in Paris for seventy years,The Paris Time Capsule sweeps through France, from the glamour of Paris to Provence’s delectable vineyards and villages …In 2010, New York photographer Cat Jordan fights against her difficult past. But when a stranger dies in Paris, Cat finds herself the sole inheritor of an apartment in the ninth arrondissement that has been abandoned for seventy years since its mysterious owner, Madame de Florian, fled on the eve of the Nazi invasion in 1940. A stash of love letters belonging to the owner’s grandmother, the infamous Belle Epoque courtesan Marthe de Florian, and the appearance of the beautiful and mysterious Isabelle de Florian’s grandson, Loic Archer, leads Cat in search of the reasons why Isabelle kept her Paris apartment a secret until her death, and why she left her entire estate to Cat.As Cat unravels the story, she too embarks on her own journey, realizing that the secrets in the apartment may finally unlock the future…A magical, enchanting tale, inspired by a fascinating true story, filled with unforgettable characters, each caught in the relentless turmoil of their own generation. Ella Carey’s The Paris Time Capsule will linger in your thoughts long after you have finished it.Praise for Ella Carey:"Ella Carey creates an almost impossibly romantic atmosphere."Rachel Edwards, Review of Australian Fiction."I am so looking forward to the release of The Paris Time-Capsule. Ella Carey is one of the most talented writers I have ever worked with. Roll on release day!"Melanie Milburne, USA Today best selling author.”Everything about this book was simply magical, the vividly described backdrops, the remarkable characters, the mysteries being unraveled, the romance, everything blended to pure perfection by the author. I highly recommend this read for anyone and everyone that loves reading. It was a history lesson mixed with a large dose of mystery and a dash of romance, what more could a reader ask for!”Desere Steenberg, reader, Amazon.com ”A fabulous book. The intricate weaving of a superbly written plot with well developed characters around a true historical event. With the descriptions of scenery, residencies, and other intimate details, such as, the dust storm upon first opening the apartment after so many years, the rows of grape vines trailing across the hillside and perusing old texts in an ancient nunnery, I felt as if I was there trying to help solve the mystery. The intertwining of several stories about love, life and the pursuit of happiness provided an excellent backdrop to the main plot. Ella Carey weaved an incredible, marvelous story. This was the first book I have read of hers, but it will not be the last.” Shirley Buchanan, reader, Amazon.comFor more information please visit www.theparistimecapsule.com

Cat Jordan finds herself the sole inheritor of a treasure filled apartment in Paris that has been locked up for seventy years. A stash of love letters belonging to Marthe de Florian leads Cat in search of the reason the apartment and its belongings were left to her.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Ella Carey's book The Paris Time Capsule was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Ella Carey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible