The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Member:-Eva-
Title:The Sea of Monsters
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (291)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (294)
After reading The Lightning Thief, I think I expected a lot more of this book. There were several aspects that I can somewhat forgive in the first book because, well, it's the first part of a long series, where you are introduced to a brand new world, new characters and stuff, while at the same time you're going through a journey along with the main character. However, when you move on to the second book, it is expected that you already know several characteristics of the characters and the storyline while the new aspects can use a bit more explanation. This is exactly where I think that The Sea of Monsters was lacking and, for several times, even incoherent. I feel like I have seen a lot of cases where Percy and his friends signaled to each other in times of distress, stating that "we've already been through some training, so we knew exactly what it meant", but whatever they're planning is not made clear to the reader. Soon after this, something happens and, okay, in most of the times you understand why they did something, but it still feels like they are leaving you out. This is where the first person narrative in The Sea of Monsters seems to fail.
And this is exactly what bothered me in this book and, maybe, it's just me: the first person narrative. Rick Riordan created a brand new universe mixing Greek Mythology with the Modern World, and this is very nice. You see lots of cool references about the Greek gods and learn stories you probably wouldn't know if you didn't research thoroughly. Yet, because the story is told by Percy Jackson, who hasn't lived for long in the "fantastic" part of the world of the gods of old, the part of the camp and the parallel world is only vaguely explored, leaving out the potential of that vast universe. As a result, it feels like the story was either rushed up or explained in a very lazy fashion. I couldn't really bring myself to feel "involved" in the story. It felt like being just an spectator. And regardless of how much I struggled, I couldn't stop making comparisons with the Percy Jackson series and the Harry Potter series. In the Harry Potter series, I felt like I was actually part of the story. In the Percy Jackson series... well, not so much.

Anyway, The Sea of Monsters is not a bad book. It just didn't exceed my expectations. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
In this book Percy is on a new quest: to find the Golden Fleece. It was better than the first. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Fantastic story for anyone that that's a fan of Greek mythology. Tore through it in no time at all. Written for middle school age readers, but I think older readers can enjoy this series just as much. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
This was a fun, easy read. I think what I enjoy most about this series is that the characters face the same obstacles that Odysseus did. I'm trying to figure out what would be better, to read the Odyssey first, and then these, or read these, and then the Odyssey...? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible