The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Member:-Eva-
Title:The Sea of Monsters
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (296)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (299)
In The Sea of Monsters, Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon is getting out of school for the summer and is heading over to Camp Half-Blood, a camp for demigods. Percy starts to have strange dreams of his friend Grover being held hostage and hears his voice every night. Also, there is a mysterious poisoning of Thalia's tree, which guards the camp from dangerous monsters, and it needs to be revived fast. Percy then gets the help of Annabeth, daughter of Athena, and his half-brother Tyson who Percy saved from bullies at his school. He is then given directions by Hermes to go to the Sea of Monsters where Grover is held, and to retrieve the golden fleece for Thalia's tree. On the way towards the Sea of Monsters, he boards a ship that is manned by a crew of dead soldiers. The boat is then destroyed while trying to reach the island. Percy then finds that he and Annabeth are the only ones who seem to be alive and they have to reach he island by themselves. When Percy and Annabeth reach the island, they find a cave that they believe is where Grover and the fleece are being held and that a large cyclopes inhabits it. Once they find out how to pass the giant cyclopes. the extract Grover and the fleece, they run into Tyson who holds off the cyclopes for them as they get to the boat. Once all three are safe on the boat and the one-eyed monster had stopped following them, the headed back to Camp Half-Blood to cover the tree with the fleece. Instantly, the tree was blooming again and camp order was restored.

In my opinion, I would recommend this book to my friends. It was interesting and had lots of action here and there. I have read the prequel, The Lightning Thief, which I thought was a good book and this was just as good. Most of the people out there probably have already read this book, but to those who haven't I would recommend this book to you. In all, I would give this book a 4 star rating. ( )
  KendallP.B1 | Oct 21, 2014 |
In case you can't tell, I'm a huge Percabeth shipper. And in this book we get more Percabeth foreshadowing then we had in the first book. Percy and Annabeth are so cute together.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in Percy in the first several chapters of this book. After Percy found out that Tyson was his half brother, he was a little ashamed of it. I love Percy, I really, really, really love
Warning: Spoilers!

Percy, but that seemed really rude, that's my opinion. Other then that, Percy was AWESOME!

Annabeth was also very awesome. I just love Annabeth and Percy's relationship.

I love Grover in this book. I think it's funny that Grover was wearing a wedding dress so that the cyclops wouldn't know that he's a satyr, and he's sending Percy telepathic messages telling him to hurry up and save him.

Clarisse ticked me off in this book, she needs to learn to keep her mouth shut. I'm not the only who thought this when reading the book, right?

I love Tyson. I love how how looks up to Percy (even though Tyson is at least six feet tall).

I like the part when Percy got turned into a guinea pig; and when Percy saved Annabeth from the sirens. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
I really gained speed in reading the Percy Jackson series after this book. There's always action and adventure, which is great. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

I am now officially caught up with how far I made it into this series the first time. Woo! Progress. I can totally see where, reading this some time after The Lightning Thief without a bond formed to the characters, I would have been underwhelmed by The Sea of Monsters and not kept reading. The Sea of Monsters is fun, but continues to be a bit smaller in scale, primarily consisting of humorous adventures and action sequences, not the soul crushing pain that tends to draw me in. So yeah, The Sea of Monsters is a good read, but I’m guessing it’s probably the weakest one in the series, which means I ought to like the rest quite a bit if I’m right about that.

In my review of book one, I made some Harry Potter comparisons. What’s just occurred to me is that they’re reversed, though, with Percy’s adventures occurring during the summer and normal life resuming during the school year. Not that Percy’s school life is particularly normal either, since he’s been kicked out of at least a school per year. Things have a tendency to explode around Percy that even the helpful Mist cannot explain away without some damage to his reputation with principals.

Also, for as much as he loves his mom, he really looks forward to Camp Halfblood. I’d say it’s truly becoming his home in a way that it didn’t in The Lightning Thief. The time away made him realize how much he loved the place. He doesn’t have an easy time making friends, partially because he attracts trouble and partially because of his hero tendencies which include befriending the unpopular kid, Tyson. At Camp Halfblood, his life may be more stressful, but it’s also more fulfilling, because he’s around people who understand him, even if some of them don’t accept him.

In The Sea of Monsters, one of my favorite things is watching the kids grow up a bit. They’re still young, but they’re just a bit more mature than they were last year. There’s more cooperation, even with people who were enemies before. Stereotypes are being challenged and grudging respect is being found. There’s a long way to go, but I like the way the network is expanding. Plus, I absolutely love the trope where two people who don’t get along are forced to work together, so watching Percy have to deal with Clarisse made me happy.

The plot continues in a similar vein to that of The Lightning Thief. It’s high energy with constant new attacks, both sneaky and overtly dangerous. These are books to satisfy a desire for action. They are for the most part more towards the silly and humorous than the scary. However, as with book one, the twists on mythology are delightful. My favorite part may have been Circe and her guinea pigs.

The overarching plot of The Sea of Monsters centers on the need to rescue Grover, who has been captured by Polyphemus (aka the cyclops that Odysseus faced and eye-poked) and will be made into the cyclops’ bride-to-be. The crew has to get together on a quest to save Grover and the camp, no longer protected by Thalia’s tree, which is dying of poison. Conveniently though explained well enough I’ll let that slide, what’s needed to save the camp is where Grover is. The image of Grover in a wedding dress is indeed a funny one, but I also missed him getting to have a real role in this one.

The one thing I can point to that did make me narrow my eyes was Tyson’s love of horses. Percy loves horses and has an affinity through them thanks to Poseidon being his father and the creator of horses. Tyson, on the other hand, scares horses, which is why Percy has to calm them down before the chariot race. However, shortly thereafter, Tyson befriends another kind of horse very easily and is even able to talk to it. This seemed inconsistent; it could have been explained perhaps, but it wasn’t. Also, sort of related, I’m a little puzzled that the chariot races continued after the mission ended successfully since Chiron returned to the camp and he had stopped holding them because of the high chance of death/injury.

After the dramatic ending and with an increased cast, I’m looking forward to the group dynamics in the third book. The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters have both been great, but I’m hoping that the feels are coming and the stakes will be getting much higher. So far, there’s no sense of peril in any of the adventure, which keeps my emotions low. However, the big bad is pretty intense and I have hope for the future. On to book three! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Oct 5, 2014 |
AUTHOR: Rick Riordan
TITLE: The Sea of Monsters
DATE READ: 09/20/14
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Juvenile/2006/Hyperion/279 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #2 in Percy Jackson & The Olympians
TIME/PLACE: Present/Long Island & the Southern Atlantic off the coast of Florida
CHARACTERS: Percy Jackson/son of Poseidon & a mortal
FIRST LINES: My nightmare started like this. I was standing on a deserted street in some little beach town. It was the middle of the night. A storm was blowing. Wind and rain ripped at the palm trees along the sidewalk.
COMMENTS: This is the 2nd in a fun series that I would recommend to all ages. These are stories of adventurous quests. In this second outing Percy is back at the school/camp on Long Island for the children of gods and other mythical creatures. Camp Half-Blood is usually protected on the perimeter but a curse has been cast and one of the half-bloods has been petrified into a tree. They are no longer protected, unless they find a cure for this curse. They venture out into the Sea of Monsters -- somewhere South off the coast of Florida -- during their travels Percy discovers more about his family and finds a new half brother. ( )
  pammykn | Oct 3, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible