The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

2010 (45) action (43) adventure (290) children (39) children's (100) children's literature (49) demigods (34) ebook (36) fantasy (892) fiction (465) friendship (53) gods (79) Greek (49) greek gods (91) greek mythology (327) juvenile (38) magic (48) monsters (63) mythology (453) Percy Jackson (220) Percy Jackson and the Olympians (88) quest (50) read (93) read in 2010 (32) Rick Riordan (40) series (205) teen (40) to-read (52) YA (180) young adult (278)

English (286)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (289)
I looooooove Tyson

"fish ponies"!! ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
Percys figures out he has a half brother who is a cyclops. Thalias tree is poisoned by luke. Chrion gets fired because the olympians needed someoe to blame. Grover established a empathy link between Percy and him. So Grover uses it to ask Percy to come and save him from the huge cyclops Pometheus. So Percy and Annabeth go on a quest to save Grover which they later come to like. Because they figure out the cyclops island has the golden fleece so they take the golden fleece and heal Thalias tree which ends up doing to much and thalia comes back to life.
The Sea Of Monsters is one of the best books i have ever read. It kept me on my feet at all times. I never wanted to sleep i just wanted to stay up all night reading it. Rick Riordan has the ability to keep us in the book. Never ending quest. Thriller in each turn. Suspense in each page. ( )
  JustinK.B3 | Mar 20, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 2, 2014 |
Ah, the second book. The sophomore effort. Scourge of every author known to man. Now that the first book is out of the way, all the origin stories and exposition have passed. It's time to get to a real story. What do we do? Let's make it exactly the same as the first. Hot damn--that's capitalism!

This time, in order to liven things up, we kidnap one of the main characters, clearing the way for the girl who didn't get much screen time in the first book. This way we can build up her relationship with Percy. It's a transparent technique. It's difficult for a writer to make three-way dialogue. But when you have three main characters, what do you do? You take one out of commission. J.K. Rowling does it often.

And we start in the exact same way. Monsters that no one ever sees ("mist" obscures the truth from mortal eyes -- convenient, ain't it?) attack Percy in the middle of school. He gets away, and gets to camp where he discovers the real problem. Then there's a quest where we meet some standard Greek myths, like being tempted by sirens, succumbing to Circe's temptation (cleverly disguised as C.C., oh how did we not see that coming?). We meet our rival briefly, and we end up using swords and preteen wits to eliminate our antagonist at the last minute. And everything ends happily.

I was less than impressed with the novel, even though it had more elements that I like (like ocean sailing and water-based myths). Tyson the cyclops is charming. I wish there had been more of him. But the other characters are starting to blend together. It feels like the author is trying to market these teens as the energy-drinking, cell phone-texting, adult-ignoring preteens of today. It's all action and whiz-bang allusions, and not enough character development. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |
Funny,suspenseful,I really enjoyed this book. It was not the first time I had read it. ( )
  Elliepoole | Feb 4, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible