The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Member:-Eva-
Title:The Sea of Monsters
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (298)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (301)
I love this series. I wish I had more time to write reviews, but I'm off to read the next book in my (not very) copious amount of free time! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
(4.7)
  mshampson | Nov 13, 2014 |
In The Sea of Monsters, Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon is getting out of school for the summer and is heading over to Camp Half-Blood, a camp for demigods. Percy starts to have strange dreams of his friend Grover being held hostage and hears his voice every night. Also, there is a mysterious poisoning of Thalia's tree, which guards the camp from dangerous monsters, and it needs to be revived fast. Percy then gets the help of Annabeth, daughter of Athena, and his half-brother Tyson who Percy saved from bullies at his school. He is then given directions by Hermes to go to the Sea of Monsters where Grover is held, and to retrieve the golden fleece for Thalia's tree. On the way towards the Sea of Monsters, he boards a ship that is manned by a crew of dead soldiers. The boat is then destroyed while trying to reach the island. Percy then finds that he and Annabeth are the only ones who seem to be alive and they have to reach he island by themselves. When Percy and Annabeth reach the island, they find a cave that they believe is where Grover and the fleece are being held and that a large cyclopes inhabits it. Once they find out how to pass the giant cyclopes. the extract Grover and the fleece, they run into Tyson who holds off the cyclopes for them as they get to the boat. Once all three are safe on the boat and the one-eyed monster had stopped following them, the headed back to Camp Half-Blood to cover the tree with the fleece. Instantly, the tree was blooming again and camp order was restored.

In my opinion, I would recommend this book to my friends. It was interesting and had lots of action here and there. I have read the prequel, The Lightning Thief, which I thought was a good book and this was just as good. Most of the people out there probably have already read this book, but to those who haven't I would recommend this book to you. In all, I would give this book a 4 star rating. ( )
  KendallP.B1 | Oct 21, 2014 |
In case you can't tell, I'm a huge Percabeth shipper. And in this book we get more Percabeth foreshadowing then we had in the first book. Percy and Annabeth are so cute together.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in Percy in the first several chapters of this book. After Percy found out that Tyson was his half brother, he was a little ashamed of it. I love Percy, I really, really, really love
Warning: Spoilers!

Percy, but that seemed really rude, that's my opinion. Other then that, Percy was AWESOME!

Annabeth was also very awesome. I just love Annabeth and Percy's relationship.

I love Grover in this book. I think it's funny that Grover was wearing a wedding dress so that the cyclops wouldn't know that he's a satyr, and he's sending Percy telepathic messages telling him to hurry up and save him.

Clarisse ticked me off in this book, she needs to learn to keep her mouth shut. I'm not the only who thought this when reading the book, right?

I love Tyson. I love how how looks up to Percy (even though Tyson is at least six feet tall).

I like the part when Percy got turned into a guinea pig; and when Percy saved Annabeth from the sirens. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
I really gained speed in reading the Percy Jackson series after this book. There's always action and adventure, which is great. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible