The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Member:-Eva-
Title:The Sea of Monsters
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

English (301)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (304)
I used to fear sequels - they usually failed to deliver the awesomeness that a series's first book had promised. But thankfully, such is not the case with many of them. And Riordan's Sea of Monsters belongs to that exclusive list.

Percy Jackson can't wait for summer camp to begin again, so he can return to his friends and the rest of the Demigods. But things have changed at Camp Half-Blood. Chiron is no longer part of the teaching staff, Grover has gone missing - with strange dreams showing him as a captive in a terrible cyclops's cave - and someone has poisoned Thalia's tree. Not to mention, the camp's new instructor replacing Chiron seems like he's trying a bit too hard to kill the poor campers. With Annabeth and Tyson, a cyclops who turns out to be his little brother, Percy must travel to the Sea of Monsters, find the Golden Fleece, save Grover, and survive Luke and his minions who are trying to either get him on their side or kill him. All in a summer's work for the son of Poseidon...

I loved this book! As much as I loved the first one! It was fast-paced, packed with action, and Percy's narration never fails to amuse and thrill me. I'm not a first person POV fan, but with this guy, I can't help but sit back and enjoy.

Plus, it showed a certain side of Clarisse that I didn't expect. Damn, now it's hard for me to look at her and hate her completely - ok, a 10% of me still wants to throttle her, but that's understandable... I think?

With Thalia back in the game, I can't wait to see what will happen in the next book! ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Jan 21, 2015 |
This was an excellent follow-up to The Lightening Thief. Though I didn't find the plot as gripping, the excellent characters still leap of the page and are somehow believable both as kids and as demigods. I'm really interested in seeing where this series goes and plan on relishing it over the next few months. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Book 2 in the Percy Jackson series. Lots of adventure with Greek gods and monsters thrown into the mix. I love the "party ponies." All is well in the end. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jan 7, 2015 |
Book two in the Percy Jackson series is just as action packed as the first. We the readers get to see more of the Greek world and how it has been shaped because of modern day. The Sea of Monsters being the Bermuda triangle was a clever idea and certainly explains at of the weird happenings there.

When Percy returns to camp at the beginning of summer he notices that at lot has changed, notably the tree the protected the camp has been poisoned. What a surprise that they all assume that Luke is behind the attack. After a quest has been given to try and save the tree, Percy, Annabel, and Tyson run away from camp on their own adventure to save the camp.

Overall the book was a fast read and introduced a lot of new concepts to the series. There were so many twists and turns that I just could not put the book down. I am certainly looking forward to reading the third book. ( )
  Hpfan28 | Jan 6, 2015 |
I love this series. I wish I had more time to write reviews, but I'm off to read the next book in my (not very) copious amount of free time! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,696,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible