The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Rick Riordan

Title:The Sea of Monsters
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Miramax (2007), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (2006)

Mity greckie I Percy, który czasem ma bardzo inne podejście (Herakles, bo miał pecha! Lajstrygonowie > Kanadyjczycy), ale z taką rodziną...:P ( )
  InezGard | Sep 15, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Continuing with the second instalment in the series: The Sea Of Monsters. I read this book almost directly after the first, and it did not disappoint. I many aspects I thought it was just like the first book and I enjoyed it equally. I did not feel like 'okay, so long and now it's time for something else'.

The strongest point for me stays the interwoven Greek mythology. Famous and less famous stories are brought into the novel, and readers can learn something about them, or they get interested enough to start looking for the original myths. When you start thinking about how the myths are combined with modern day, it won't be a surprise to find where the Sea of Monsters is located nowadays.

Of course, these books involve lots of running away from things and getting into trouble again and again, but it didn't bother me and I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a fast read, I believe for meant for the somewhat younger YA reader. I personally really liked the introduction of Tyson, one of my favourite characters from the series. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
"This book was a bit of a letdown for me after The Lightning Thief. It was slow to start, especially considering this is the second book in a series and much of the foundation is already laid for us. There were monster battles early on, but it took a long time to focus in on the major issue in the story, and then another long spell before our heroes set out on their quest. I wouldn't have minded as much if there had been more to hold my attention in that first part of the book. There were neat ideas to be sure, but they weren't as robust as I think they could have been. A couple parts similarly dragged once they set out on their quest, but overall it did pick up, after all.

For me, Riordan is at his best when he's incorporating Greek mythology on the modern world. A mythical sea full of monsters through which all heroes venture during their quests, where impossible things happen, and from which there's a good chance people won't return? Where else in our world but the Bermuda Triangle? The Grey Sisters's taxi service is brilliant. And I like when these motifs are illustrated down to the details, like the incongruous sight of modern party-animal-type centaurs teaching an adolescent cyclops how to use a giant paint gun. It's the outlandish made seemingly commonplace, and it's something I adore. However, I didn't feel there was quite as much of this in The Sea of Monsteres as in The Lightning Thief, sadly.

I admire the way Percy grows during the book, especially in learning to accept and appreciate Tyson. Also, his dry humor and commentary continued to make me laugh in this second installment. I wish I had seen some of the other characters, like Annabeth and Clarisse, also grow during the course of the story. Mostly, they serve as foils and support for Percy's growth, and I think they deserve more. Yes, we get a glimpse of Annabeth's greatest desire, and she does get over her ""all Cyclopes are bad"" kick, but that transformation is stated rather than shown and developed; most attention spent on Annabeth is spent on her back story or her part in Percy's story. Annabeth is an intelligent and active female character, someone girls look to as a role model, and I wish the author had explored her more as a character.

At least the end of the book was completely epic; a classic cliff-hanger that made me jump right next to the third book. Regardless, my opinion is that The Sea of Monsters is an enjoyable read, but it didn't really resonate for me, and I think it could have been more.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
“Does truth have a moral?”

The Last Passage
The girl’s blue eyes stared into mine, and I understood what the Golden Fleece quest had been about. The poisoning of the tree. Everything. Kronos had done it to bring another chess piece into play—another chance to control the prophecy.
Even Chiron, Annabeth, and Grover, who should’ve been celebrating this moment, were too shocked, thinking about what it might mean for the future. And I was holding someone who was destined to be my best friend, or possibly my worst enemy.
“I am Thalia,” the girl said. “Daughter of Zeus.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
I can understand why 10-12-year olds love it, but I don't think I will finish the series. Fine to listen to while exercising. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Deze recensie is als eerste geplaatst op Carpe LibraEr zijn van die verhalen die “leeftijdloos” zijn. Iedereen kan ze lezen zonder verveeld te raken, zonder het verhaal kinderachtig te vinden. Harry Potter is een goed voorbeeld, want hoeveel volwassenen hebben niet het boek gelezen of de film gezien? Percy Jackson begint langzaam maar zeker daar ook toe te behoren. Ik heb nu pas twee boeken gelezen, maar net zoals in De Bliksemdief stoorde me het totaal niet om in De Zee van Monsters door de ogen van een inmiddels dertienjarige jongen te lezen. Integendeel, het was geweldig!
Percy Jackson heeft precies de juist humor die me aanspreekt. Zoals hij tegen Tantalus zegt, dat hij de fruitboom in kan… Toen had ik het echt niet meer… Verder weet hij als geen ander de juiste beschrijving te verzinnen. “Hij was één meter negentig en gebouwd als de verschrikkelijke sneeuwman.” Dit lukt hem het hele verhaal door. Je kunt dus wel zeggen dat ik me meer dan kostelijk vermaakt heb. Percy is er werkelijk een uit duizenden. Ik kijk nu al uit naar wat het volgende boek zal brengen!
In dit verhaal wordt er ook een nieuw personage geïntroduceerd: Tyson. Wie en wat hij is zal ik niet verklappen, dat is een te belangrijk iets in het verhaal (oooh, nu heb ik jullie nieuwsgierig gemaakt of niet? ^^), maar hij is werkelijk vertederend. Vanaf het allereerste moment wist hij de berin in me te ontwaken, die klaar was om haar jong (ja had hem meteen al geadopteerd ;) ) met klauw en tand te verdedigen. Hij is de onschuld zelf en zo schattig! Hij heeft me echt om zijn vinger gewonden…
Ook in De Zee van Monsters is er een spannende “queeste” die Percy moet voltooien. Een queeste die hem opnieuw naar wonderbaarlijke plekken brengt en hem bizarre wezens laat ontmoeten. Voor de mythology geek in me was het een waar pareltje. Heerlijk om uit te vogelen welk monster deze keer op Percy’s pad komt. Welke mythe in het verhaal gebruikt wordt. Welke krachten deze keer nader bekeken worden. Het was in een woord: GEWELDIG! Bovendien duiken we dieper in het mysterie dat in het eerste boek genoemd wordt. Wat de plannen van Hij Die Niet Genoemd Mag Worden zijn… Ook al wordt het niet echt duidelijker. Het einde heeft me wel meer dan nieuwsgierig gemaakt naar het volgende deel en ik moet me nu al beheersen om niet op internet al te gaan spieken hoe het verhaal afloopt...

Opnieuw heeft Rick Riordan met de Zee van Monsters een boek geschreven dat gewoon leuk is om te lezen. Aan de ene kant zeer luchtig en hylarisch en aan de andere kant boordevol actie en mythische wezens. Een boek helemaal naar mijn vaartje en dat ik ook binnen een mum van tijd uithad, onder veel gegniffel. Percy heeft absoluut het talent voor geweldige one liners. Het is daarom ook dat ik dit boek van harte kan aanraden aan iedereen, jong en oud. ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick John Riordan,

the best storyteller in the family
My nightmare started like this.
Humans don't exist on the same level as the immortals. They can't even be hurt by our weapons. But you, Percy--you are part god, part human. You live in both worlds. You can be harmed by both, and you can effect both. That's what makes heroes so special. You carry the hopes of humanity into the realm of the eternal. Monsters never die. They are reborn from the chaos and barbarism that is always bubbling underneath civilization, the very stuff that makes Kronos stronger. They must be defeated again and again, kept at bay. Heroes embody that struggle. You fight the battles humanity must win, every generation, in order to stay human.
This LT work is the second volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Two: Sea of Monsters, The

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:11 -0400)

Demi-god Percy Jackson and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first Percy will discover a secret that makes him wonder whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or a cruel joke.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,765,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible