Blind Mercy ( A Viking Romance) (The Blind…

Blind Mercy ( A Viking Romance) (The Blind Series Book 2)

by Violetta Rand

521,436,638 (4.33)None
Recently added byJamie214, jason9292, ysar, ivydtruitt

Rachelle Fiennes is desperate to find her uncle, the only relative she has left, in the aftermath of the Battle of Stamford Bridge. Instead, she finds a defeated Viking hiding among the corpses. With no one to turn to and nowhere else to go, she accompanies the intriguing Tyr, praying he's the protector she needs now that she's all alone, and joins him back in his homeland, among the very people she's always thought were the enemy.

Wow. This book is everything I love about historical romance -- and so much more! Rand brilliantly lays out detail in a way that plays out scenes in full color without losing any of the pace.

Tyr is the ultimate romance hero. He's proud and arrogant, fearless and strong. Yet he's portayed with passion and vulnerability that make him utterly flawed and human. And the way he's described... Well, the pages heat up long before his romance with Rachelle fully blooms. The conflict, of course, is the bitterness between his people and Rachelle's, and there were so many times I probably should have been furious with him for the mistakes he makes in his treatment of her. But even at his worst, he's impossible to hate, which just goes to show how fully his character is written.

Rachelle is everything I hoped she would be. She's particularly vulnerable, and yet she has incredible strength. She holds onto her beliefs and withstands almost complete isolation, and it's that fortitude that makes her irresistable to Tyr, even if it takes him a while to fully realize that.

This book has it all -- romance, danger, drama, and of course, two characters at odds who can't help but fall in love with each other. If you're looking for characters you can fall in love with, wrapped up in a fascinating story and intriguing plot twists, this is exactly what you should be reading!

***FicCentral received this book from Reading Addiction Virtual Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
3.5 stars
This is the second book in the Sigurdsson family series. Rachelle Fiennes is searching the battlefield for her uncle after the Battle of Stamford Bridge when she encounters Jarl Tyr Sigurdsson. Is their meeting Tyr’s punishment by Odin for surviving or God’s answer to Rachelle’s prayers all those years ago when her parents were killed? You’ll have to read BLIND MERCY to discover which, if either, it is.

There were many aspects of BLIND MERCY I really enjoyed. There was a definite sense of déjà vu occasionally that reminded me of the historicals from the ‘70’s. Those were the start of my love affair with the genre.

The history and settings were wonderful. From York to Norway the settings and times were so descriptive it was easy to imagine yourself there with Tyr and Rachelle.

Well developed characters that were easy to relate to. Onetooth was my favorite. He was Tyr’s champion but rather than intimidating he came across as a teddy bear, at least with the fairer sex. He was a good friend to Tyr.

BLIND MERCY sports a properly reprehensible villain in Tyr’s cousin, Aaron. Jealousy and greed are the roots of his evil. He’s not alone in his efforts. The old adage, “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” is certainly applicable when it comes to Aaron’s accomplice. This pairing is part of what reminded me of my past reads because the treachery was usually very close to the hero or heroine in those earlier tales.

Good flow and pacing allowing for quick smooth reading.

My issues were with the relationship between Tyr and Rachelle, its development, and on occasion, Rachelle. I had a hard time believing, given the situation and times, she’d leave the battlefield with the enemy simply giving up the search for her uncle. I read it several times wondering if I was missing something and couldn’t find it if I was.
Rachelle was educated and intelligent but there were times I doubted both of those attributes. In a nutshell, Rachelle was alright for the most part but she caused a lot of her own problems and there were times I’d have gladly throttled her.
For Tyr, the physical seemed to be the predominant force. Most of Tyr’s time with Rachelle was spent trying to seduce her. Personally speaking, more time spent developing a mental and emotional connection that at least kept pace with the physical. I do admit though that when Tyr finally let his emotions fly it was all you could hope for. However, these aren’t make or break issues for most.

The wonderful history and writing combined with that reminiscent quality make BLIND MERCY worth reading.
Reviewed by IvyD for Miss Ivyy's Book Nook ( )
  ivydtruitt | Apr 13, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,439,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible