The Alexandria Link by Steve Berry

The Alexandria Link (2007)

by Steve Berry

Series: Cotton Malone (2)

This second book rattled on a bit. It really didn't resolve Cotton and Pam's relationship and the background info was still a bit sketchy on the other recurring characters. I have the next two ready to go so we will have to wait and see. ( )
  debavp | Jun 4, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Cotton Malone retired from the high-risk world of elite operatives for the U.S. Justice Department to lead the low-key life of a rare-book dealer. But his quiet existence is shattered when he receives an anonymous e-mail: “You have something I want. You’re the only person on earth who knows where to find it. Go get it. You have 72 hours. If I don’t hear from you, you will be childless.” His horrified ex-wife confirms that the threat is real: Their teenage son has been kidnapped. When Malone’s Copenhagen bookshop is burned to the ground, it becomes brutally clear that those responsible will stop at nothing to get what they want. And what they want is nothing less than the lost Library of Alexandria.

My Thoughts:

Before anyone attempts to point out the historical discrepancies contained in this book, please remember that The Alexandria Link is ultimately a work of the authors talent and imagination and this is why it is classified as fiction. The one factual thing the book does recognize is that through the ages, religion has been used to incite wars, create economic chaos, disrupt the harmony that could potentially exist between people and nations. Steve Berry researches his history well and his protagonist, Cotton Malone, is a very likable and believable character even if he does posses some James Bond qualities. The only problem I had with this book was it was somewhat of an overload of information. If you can figure out exactly who the good guys and the bad guys are before the very last chapter...you are better at the spy game than I am. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Nice second story in the series, really built on the character of Cotton Malone. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Yet again a good book by Steve Berry. I read the first book and expected this book to be equally gripping with lots of twists and a brilliantly woven plot. The book lived up to my expectations.
But I really wonder something. Whats with writers and "The Bible"?! Ever other writer seems to have taken "The Bible" as their muse.
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |

Steve Berryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"History is the distillation of evidence surviving the past." Oscar Handlin, Truth in History (1979)

"Since the first Adam who beheld the night and the day and the shape of his own hand, men have made up stories and have fixed in stone, in metal, or on parchment whatever the world includes or dreams create. Here is the fruit of their labor: the Library...The faithless say that if it were to burn, history would burn with it. They are wrong. Unceasing human work gives birth to this infinity of books. If of them all not even one remained, man would again beget each page and every line." Jorge Luis Borges, regarding the Library of Alexandria
"Libraries are the memory of mankind." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
For Katie and Kevin, Two Shooting Stars, who drifted back into my orbit
George Haddad's patience ended as he glared at the man bound to the chair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345485769, Mass Market Paperback)

A cradle of ideas–historical, philosophical, literary, scientific, and religious–the Library of Alexandria was unparalleled in the world. But fifteen hundred years ago, it vanished into the mists of myth and legend–its vast bounty of wisdom coveted ever since by scholars, fortune hunters, and those who believe its untold secrets hold the key to ultimate power.

Now a cartel of wealthy international moguls, bent on altering the course of history, is desperate to breach the library’s hallowed halls–and only Malone possesses the information they need to succeed. At stake is an explosive ancient document with the potential not only to change the destiny of the Middle East but to shake the world’s three major religions to their very foundations.

Pursued by a lethal mercenary, Malone crosses the globe in search of answers. His quest will lead him to England and Portugal, even to the highest levels of American government–and the shattering outcome, deep in the Sinai desert, will have worldwide repercussions.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:12 -0400)

Cotton Malone's teenage son has been kidnapped, and an anonymous e-mail from those responsible proves they will stop at nothing to get their hands on a coveted prize: the legendary lost Library of Alexandria, which vanished 1,500 years ago.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,110,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible