Comics Squad: Recess! by Jennifer L. Holm

Comics Squad: Recess!

by Jennifer L. Holm (Editor), Matthew Holm (Editor), Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Editor)

Other authors: Jennifer L. Holm (Author), Matthew Holm (Illustrator), Jarrett J. Krosoczka (Author), Dav Pilkey (Author), Dave Roman (Author)5 more, Dan Santat (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Illustrator), Ursula Vernon (Author), Eric Wight (Author), Gene Luen Yang (Author)

Series: Comics Squad (1)

Last year around this same time I fell into a bit of a reading slump (yes, it happens to everyone) and I picked up a little comics selection called Comics Squad: Detention hoping that it would revive me. I'm happy to say that it did the trick. Thinking lightning might strike twice, I delved into Comics Squad: Recess! by Jennifer L. Holm, Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Dan Santat, & Raina Telgemeier which is another book from this collection. This book explores the theme of recess with the authors/illustrators charged with coming up with stories which somehow incorporated this theme. (Some accomplished this feat more successfully than others as a few barely mentioned recess at all.) I especially enjoyed the last 2 stories both visually and from a narrative standpoint. (If you're curious, the two stories are "300 Words" by Dan Santat which was a love story and "The Rainy Day Monitor" by Raina Telgemeier & Dave Roman which was about a RPG kickball game.) I like recommending this series to burgeoning graphic novel/comics fans since it contains a variety of storytelling and art styles to give them a better idea of what they might like. This is a great idea for anyone, regardless of age, who might be interested in sampling different writers and illustrators. 8/10 overall and certainly wouldn't say no to reading more from this series (or from the two artists mentioned). ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 24, 2018 |
The strength of this is the Dan Santat story. Really well done. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Several of the big names in graphic novels for youth are featured here, with mini-spinoffs off familiar titles and original works. Fans of Babymouse, Lunch Lady, Captain Underpants, etc., come on down! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
My six year old loved this and made me pick it up and read his favorite, [a:Dav Pilkey's|33280|Dav Pilkey|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1309174964p2/33280.jpg] contribution Book ‘Em Dog Man! (intentionally riddled with spelling errors, much to my disquietude). I ended up leafing through the whole thing, and while I did not connect with all of the artists, I was quite impressed by the sections written by [a:Dan Santat|1251403|Dan Santat|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1380608941p2/1251403.jpg] and [a:Gene Luen Yang|68959|Gene Luen Yang|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1415919636p2/68959.jpg] in particular and I will definitely be on the watch for their books. I also enjoyed [a:Eric Wight|2722|Eric Wight|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1249631572p2/2722.jpg] and his Jiminy Sprinkles in “Freeze Tag", it was witty and appealingly drawn. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
Comics Squad: Recess! edited by Jennifer L. Holm is an anthology of comics for elementary school aged readers. The book contains 8 comics including the popular ones like Babymouse, Squish, and Lunch Lady.

As with the afore mentioned comics, this anthology also relies on the single color design, orange as it so happens. Be prepared to read everything in an eye searing orange.

If you can do that, you'll find eight short comics all centered on the topic of recess. For Babymouse, that means being thwarted by her own bad luck, bad attitude, and bad decision making. For another it means becoming a ninja. And there's a chance to find magic nuts.

It is what it is. If you're a fan of these comics, you'll like this collection. Readers new to comics but curious enough to try small samples might inspired to pick up the actual series. But for most everyone, it's probably safe to just pass on this book. ( )
  pussreboots | Nov 30, 2014 |

Telgemeier, RainaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vernon, UrsulaAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wight, EricAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yang, Gene LuenAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A bust-your-gut-laughing graphic-novel anthology with original contributions from the most beloved names in the genre! * Jennifer Holm & Matthew Holm * Jarrett J. Krosoczka * Dav Pilkey * Dan Santat * Raina Telgemeier * Dave Roman * Ursula Vernon * Eric Wight * Gene Yang *

Wowza! Calling all kidz! Do you like comics? Do you like laughing till milk comes out of your nose?! Look no further—do we have the book for you! All your favorite comic creators are right here in this handy-dandy hilarious book! This all-star tribute to classic Sunday comics includes eight sidesplitting, action-packed stories about every kid’s favorite subject—RECESS! With popular characters from Babymouse and Lunch Lady and brand-new soon-to-be favorite characters from superstars including Dav Pilkey! Raina Telgemeier! Gene Yang! and many more! Comics Squad also features Pizza Monsters! Secret ninja clubs! Aliens! Talking desserts! Dinozilla! Death-defying escapes! Bad guys! Good guys! Medium guys! Superheroes! Bullies! Mean girls! Epic battles! True love! Outlandish schemes! Evil plans! Fun! Jokes! Terrible puns! And other surprises that will tickle your funny bone! WARNING: THIS BOOK MAY CAUSE EXCESSIVE LAUGHTER AND POSSIBLE SILLINESS. No assembly required. (Pizzatron 2000 not included.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:47 -0400)

"A collection of comics about every kid's favorite school subject: recess"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible