Bad Country: A Novel by C. B. McKenzie

Bad Country: A Novel (edition 2014)

by C. B. McKenzie (Author)

"The newest winner of the Tony Hillerman Prize, a debut mystery set in the Southwest starring a former rodeo cowboy turned private investigator, told in a transfixingly original style. Rodeo Grace Garnet lives alone, save for his old dog, in a remote corner of Arizona known to locals as the Hole. He doesn't get many visitors, but a body found near his home has drawn police attention to his front door. The victim is not one of the many illegal immigrants who risk their lives to cross the border just south of the Hole, but is instead a member of one of the local Indian tribes. Retired from the rodeo circuit and scraping by on piece-work as a private investigator, Rodeo doesn't have much choice but to say yes when offered an unusual case. An elderly Indian woman has hired him to help discover who murdered her grandson, but she seems strangely uninterested in the results. Her indifference seems heartless, but as Rodeo pursues his case he learns that it's nothing compared to true hatred. And he's about to realize just how far hate can go. CB McKenzie's Bad Country captures the rough-and-tumble corners of the Southwest in accomplished, confident prose, with a hardnosed plot that will keep readers riveted"--… (more)
Member:robzand
Title:Bad Country: A Novel
Authors:C. B. McKenzie (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2014), Edition: First Edition, 304 pages

Bad Country by CB McKenzie

Better than I expected based on the reviews I read. It maybe that someone has to understand the multicultural aspect of Arizona for this complex story to resonate. The characters are what make this story so compelling. The are so true to life and yet border on caricature. Funny, I know so many people just like them.

The desert is the ever present character shaping the drama, the lives of its people and making a setting that is harsh and yet serene. The desert is a healing place for some and a goad to others. This fictional corner of my state is open, empty and varigated in muted colors. It lacks the riotous tangle of cactus seen just a hundred miles north and lacks the exuberant colors seen in the Hopi and Navajo reservations. This corner, next to Mexico, is quiet and deadly. It is the ancestral home to the Chiricaua Apaches, empty without being bleak, vast and humbling. This book makes the desert an ever present compelling part of the story.

I hope you read this wonderful story. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
I did not know what to expect from C.B. McKenzie's Bad Country. I am not familiar with the Tucson, AZ, area but enjoyed this regional setting immensely. The setting only added to some of the dark undertones. Not dark like in the psychological thrillers I read, but dark because of the world views many of the characters have. Dark because of the relationships the characters have with each other and the lives they lead.

There were a good number of characters to keep track of, but I felt invested in Rodeo's journey. However, at a certain point it seemed like Rodeo had some sort of epiphany about the cases he was involved in that I as reader must have missed. The dialogue was well done though so those sections helped fill in some of the blanks.

I think most people that enjoy crime fiction will like this book. The unique western setting kept me interested. ( )
  raineser | Aug 22, 2017 |

raineser | Aug 22, 2017 |
This felt like it really wanted to be a Cormac McCarthy book but the prose just wasn't there and it just felt wrong. I couldn't finish it. ( )
  she_climber | Mar 21, 2017 |
A former rodeo star turned private detective tries to solve a series of murders in the Southwest. This first novel by a native Texan author won the 2015 Spur Award among others.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible