Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank

Jacob (2006)

by Jacquelyn Frank

Series: The Nightwalkers (Book 1)

Dark Lover by J. R. Ward (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Hot & Steamy with the same "mate"/obsessive type of relationships & hot male characters
    Dark Prince by Christine Feehan (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Hot & Steamy with the same soul/race saving mate/obsessive type of relationship with sexy male characters

Jacob is the demon king's Enforcer and protects their laws and unfortunately he's had kill many of his people demons. It's illegal for any of his people found consorting with humans but when he meets the heroine, he finds himself torn between his beliefs and his growing feelings for the tiny woman.
It was a nice book. I loved Jacob's animatict nature and possessiveness of his mate though I did think he went a little overboard in the beginning. He truly was obsessed with her and even threatened his King when the female noticed the other males body. As the story went on, he calmed down a bit and after he mated with her he wasn't so possessive to the point of insanity. The other thing I didn't like was the fact that regardless of how tiny the heroine was, suddenly because she's a druid she can kick a 250 pound mans ass. It was unrealistic to cast her as a 2nd enforcer. Other than that I was very fond of this first book in the series. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
With the first book in her Nightwalkers series, Frank created an interesting take on demons. Instead of being from the darkest depths of the underworld, they live right alongside humans. Their powers are related to the elements and only when summoned by a necromancer do they become the evil beings of our nightmares.

It all started out so well and while nothing ever really went wrong with Jacob it never felt altogether right either. I liked our lonely hero. He actually seemed rather well adjusted compared to some heroes I've read about which was refreshing. He fought his attraction to Isabella but he soon realized she was his destiny and fell completely and unabashedly in love. It was actually quite a nice change of pace to have the lead couple madly in love through a good portion of the book. Unfortunately that really didn't give you anything to keep reading for. For reasons that are kind of spoilerish Jacob doesn't suffer any punishment for his relationship with Isabella. In fact, there's no real threat to Jacob and Isabella's relationship until the final 50 pages. If the hero and heroine are happily and madly in love halfway through the book with no threats to their bliss, why should I keep reading for another two hundred pages? If the conflict isn't coming from the characters then it has to come from somewhere. Jacob suffered dearly from a lack of conflict.

I blame the lack of conflict on Isabella. At first I didn't know what that ringing in my ears was. Around page three hundred I realized it was the Mary Sue alarm. She smart and gutsy which is admirable in a heroine. (Big thumbs up.) She's also mouthy and bossy and everyone finds it oh so endearing. (Uh oh.) She's the one who discovers the meaning of the prophecy saving the demons. Not only that but she has a pivotal role to play in bringing the prophecy to life. (Danger!) Over the course of the book she becomes so powerful that even King Noah is frightened of her a little. But she's so sweet and innocent no one can be scared or mad at her for long. In fact everyone in Jacob's world loves her. Except one person on the Council who is set up to be a bad guy. (Not that ole chestnut again) Oh and the cherry on top? She's a virgin. But of course.

The only thing that saved this from ending up on the wallbangers shelf was Jacob and his fellow demons. I'm intrigued by Gideon and Legna whose story is up next. Elijah is sexy as hell and I want to know more about him too.

Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
Interesting paranormal romance. Jacob guards demons against a madness wher they fall prey to their lust for humans. He brings the trespassers to justice. However things change for both himself and the demon community when he falls for Isabella. She learns more about herself and her part in the future of the world.

The characters are a little overpowered but Isabella is great fun and quite solid in herself. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 10, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I read another person's review that said she thought it was too verbose, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I thought it read smoothly and was nice and meaty. I enjoyed the book a lot even though it had, in my book, some other serious flaws (I'll get to them in a minute). I liked her writing style, I liked all the characters, I even liked the plot (for the most part). It was quite a little different than the usual, and that was nice...

However...

...........Spoiler Alert.....................

There were enough issues, I don't know where to start...

First off I'd like to bitch about the timeframe. It takes place in a matter of days... So, it's another of those insta-love books (which I usually hate), however, this book did a spectacular job of making you believe that that kind of instant adoration and connection is possible. It's actually the first book I've read that I 'bought' the whole love at first sight stuff. I still don't understand why instant love/infatuation is such a hot seller. I don't see why it can't be a LITTLE more gradual! Why do all these authors and readers seem to think the characters should be wed and pregnant within a month?!?!?!

Secondly, speaking of the time frame, there was a serious flaw in the story as far as I'm concerned... SPOILER!!!!... the Druids are the soul mates to the Demons, that's fine, they are so connected that time apart literally kills them, that's lame, but what really bugs me is that it only takes a matter of DAYS!!! for the Druid to die from lack of contact with their Demon mate. That seems so evolutionarily unlikely that it struck me as ludicrous and nearly ruined the whole story for me. Within days Bella's sister is nearly dead from a 5 minute encounter with her soul mate for the first time. Yet the Demon lives on miserable for the rest of his/her long ass life. ????? WTF? I'm not buying that. So, if the mate has a business trip, his soul mate dies? Come on, DAYS?!! I can 'buy' years, after a few years their heart slowly dies, that I can accept. but days doesn't work for me. Fucking stupid!

Next, as usual, the author endows the characters with superhuman abilities and strengths, and then neglects to have the characters constantly use them. So, yet again we have a book where the single character should be able to do anything and everything, and yet isn't! An example, here is the 600 year old Enforcer Demon who's never failed in finding and punishing those that break the law. He's THE most feared Demon, perfect track record. First battle we witness finds him allowing the 'human' he's just met to follow him into a battle after he told her to wait. I'm thinking if she's following him, shouldn't he use that mind control talent of theirs to force her to stay back, or do whatever it is in his nearly omnipotent power to do in order to keep the human safe while a Demon/necromancer battle ensues?? Then, once the battle starts he's instantly floored (literally) and rendered useless and unconscious. Leaving said human to save the day (again). Second battle, he's again bested in a matter of minutes, leaving said human to defeat another Demon on her own. And then a THIRD TIME!!! 3 out of 4 fights he's taken down within minutes (sometimes less!)!!!!!!! Why is he feared?? Why is he touted as the best??? Come on!!

Add to that the inconsistency of using their innate powers... here is a guy that can feel every heartbeat, grow a plant with his will, et cetera, and then he can't even remember to use those (and the billion other powers he has) to do anything. His first instinct (and in fact ALL of the characters) seems to always be to run around like a headless chicken and then almost towards the end they have that 'ah ha!' moment when they suddenly remember they have powers! "oh yeah, I can ___!.... How could I forgot?" Fucking lame. If the author's can't keep up with all the damn powers they've bestowed upon their characters, than they needn't give them! I am so sick of this omnipotent characters being more useless than a five year old human everytime their powers would have been or could have been used.

And another thing about those powers... Ok, so he can grow plants from his will alone, he's of the earth and can do oooooohhhh so much, and yet, the fucking bastard has lived 600 years and doesn't do shit with it! He can't even use them in battle 'cuz he's so useless! If he'd use that power, even a fraction of it, on healing the planet there'd be no famine (due to the overflow of crops), no deforestation (due to his ability to replenish the forests), no pollution (due to his ability to use the earth to filter the water), no many things! And that's just his talents, add to them Elijah's abilities with the weather, and the Earth would never be ailing.

So, again we have an author wanting to make these guys badass, unbreakable, and yet sensitive and 'human' in their ability to make mistakes and need to lean on someone eventually. So they make them god like, useless, and emotionally clingy. SNORT!! I'm sick of it!!!

Thirdly, I'm disturbed at how easily forgotten the sister was. She was going to do the wedding without her!! I mean, really, how about waiting until next lunar phase?! It's only been a few fucking days since you and your 'mate' met, wait a fucking few months for the almost dead girl to recover and participate! I find my fucking sibling dying, or hell, even sick, and I'd postpone my wedding!! Good grief. Selfish much?!

Another thing that bugged me about this book was, after just a short while (a matter of days) she was easily translating ancient texts that even the king couldn't translate, and yet soon after that needed her lover to translate a simple romantic phrase he uttered about her. That didn't jive, if she can translate text that the scholar king couldn't translate, than she can understand a simple phrase!

At this point you're probably wondering what I did like! Me too! hehehe, but really, all that bitching aside, I really did enjoy this book. I liked the writing style, and I liked the word choices she made (for the most part). I enjoyed the book enough that I'll be continuing to read the series.
  aVamp1r3 | Nov 25, 2014 |
I haven't read that many books about demons so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as how much I enjoyed this story.

Jacob: The Nightwalkers introduces you to the world of demons through the eyes of Jacquelyn Frank. Jacob is an enforcer in the demon world. He is out looking for a demon that has been summoned by a necromancer when a human falls from a window. Isabella is the woman that falls into Jacobs life that night.

I found Jacob and Bella very entertaining especially as they start to discover things about each other. Her being human and him being a demon and it being illegal in the demon world to touch a human. Bella is different than most humans.

I did not enjoy the romance between Bella and Jacob. I found it overbearing at times. I enjoy romance but I just didn't like all of the romance in this book. I look forward to reading the other books in this series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Dec 4, 2013 |

Jacquelyn Frankprimary authorall editionscalculated
Xe, SandsReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers - the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer.

For 700 years, he has resisted temptation. But not tonight... Jacob knows the excuses his people give when the madness overtakes them and they fall prey to their lust for humans. He's heard every one and still brought the trespassers to justice. Immune to forbidden desires, uncontrollable hungers, or the curse of the moon, his control is total... until the moment he sees Isabella on a shadowy New York City street. Saving her life wasn't in his plans. Nor were the overwhelming feelings she arouses in him. But the moment he holds her in his arms and feels the soft explosion of her body against his, everything changes. Their attraction is undeniable, volatile, and completely against the law. Suddenly everything Jacob has ever believed is inflamed by the heat of desire. Bring on the night.

Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and Jacob, the Enforcer, makes certain to uphold this ancient law. For 700 years he has resisted temptation--until tonight when he sees Isabella on a shadowy New York City street. Saving her life wasn't in his plans.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible