The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick…

The Slow Regard of Silent Things

by Patrick Rothfuss

Other authors: Nate Taylor (Illustrator)

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (2.5)

Recently added byprivate library, lionrose, Mithander, MINSLibrary, sallypursell, Jackdoor, Jimena15, mms.bookey
    Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A human in a family of mostly inanimate objects
    Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another book starring inanimate objects.

English (95)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (100)
This a beautiful story. Short, strange, deliciously sweet.

It's a side-shoot of the Kingkiller Chronicles, not essential to the main story but part of it. Even so, I think if you read it alone, with only the barest understanding of the characters and the world they live in, it would still shine. But it will mean more, resonate more if you've read the main series.

It lacks, as Rothfuss himself says, some of the things conventional stories are meant to have. But it just works, so convention can go hang. It's intimate, it's claustrophobic, it's exciting and mysterious and dangerous. It shows us a perspective skewed and dislocated and brilliant, otherworldly but yet still human.

It's a gem. If you can write poetry without it being poetry, this is how you do it. ( )
  Jackdoor | May 21, 2019 |
I loved this book! My only complaint is that it wasn't longer. I love the character Aria and just wanted more. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll stop it there. I have read his other stories and could not be more anxious for the next book. More please! ( )
  BookLove80 | Feb 21, 2019 |
This was a very interesting book. It's about a character who has obviously suffered some trauma in her life and how she has found a way to cope with the world around her. It would be so easy to say that she is crazy and why would you write a book about crazy, but there is more to it than that. She is indeed different, but she is also brilliant. There is something warm and comforting in visiting with her. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
Patrick Rothfuss wrote a lovely story about a girl who is trying to keep her mind from falling apart by living alone, sticking to rigid routines. She makes friends with inanimate objects, she names them, she gives them feelings, finds places for them...

A wonderful, ethereal, three page story.

Then he repeated it fifty times to fill up 150 pages.

I was bored to death by page 30. I skimmed the end. Nope, nothing happened. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
There are not words for how much I love this story. I have generally enjoyed Pat Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle while occasionally feeling exasperated with Kvothe, our main character and narrator. Kvothe is a teenage boy and in his view of women occasionally stereotypically so, and when that happens, it grates on me. Rothfuss's writing, worldbuilding and plotting in the main series was good enough to keep me reading, though, and there were interesting women in his stories, even if we only get them through Kvothe's viewpoint. I didn't love the books like some do, but I liked them pretty well, and could see what others loved in them.

This little story, which Rothfuss dismisses in both the introduction and the afterword, as something that most people won't like, as something that doesn't do what a story should do, this little story hit me harder than either of the main books in the series. Auri is luminous and complex and broken; she knows that she's broken, but she keeps on keeping on, putting her secret world to rights day by day, and fighting her own eccentricities to do what she feels she needs to do. She is not normal. She has bad mental days. She talks to and attributes personalities to the items that she collects. We never see her interact with another person. And she is wonderful, and her story is wonderful. I'd really like Pat Rothfuss to write more stories like this - or even just more stories that aren't in Kvothe's point of view, because honestly, I don't like Kvothe very much. I love Auri. Highly recommend this story. If you're the right kind of person, this story will make you feel like coming home, a little. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |

Patrick Rothfussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Taylor, NateIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Theodor, AlissaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vi, without whom there might be no story. And Tunnel Bob, without whom there would be no Auri.
When Auri woke, she knew that she had seven days.

A companion novella to Patrick Rothfuss’ bestselling Kingkiller Chronicle novels, The Slow Regard of Silent Things shares an enchanting new perspective on the Four Corners realm.

Renowned as a bastion of knowledge, the University draws the brightest minds to unravel the mysteries of enlightened sciences, such as artificing and alchemy. Yet deep below its bustling halls lies a complex web of abandoned rooms and ancient passageways. In the heart of this cavernous maze is a young woman named Auri, who calls this Underthing her home.

Formerly a student at the University, Auri now spends her days tending to the world around her. She knows that some mysteries are better settled and safe. No longer fooled by the sharp rationality so trusted by those above her, Auri sees beyond the surface of things, into subtle dangers and hidden names.

At once joyous and haunting, The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a richly atmospheric and lyrical tale, featuring one of the most beloved characters from Rothfuss’ acclaimed fantasy series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:43 -0400)

Deep below the University, there is a dark place. Few people know of it: a broken web of ancient passageways and abandoned rooms. A young woman lives there, tucked among the sprawling tunnels of the Underthing, snug in the heart of this forgotten place. Her name is Auri, and she is full of mysteries.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible