The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller…

The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller Chronicles) (edition 2015)

by Patrick Rothfuss (Author)

Member:whiteknight50
Title:The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller Chronicles)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss (Author)
Info:DAW (2015), 176 pages
Collections:2016 Finished Books, Your library, Finished Books, Lost Interest
Rating:**
Tags:Fantasy

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

Recently added byrena75, HMS888, evilTak, Jaelen, sterling2063, doubletreechang, private library, Loralye_42
    Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: A human in a family of mostly inanimate objects
    Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another book starring inanimate objects.

English (93)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (98)
There are not words for how much I love this story. I have generally enjoyed Pat Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle while occasionally feeling exasperated with Kvothe, our main character and narrator. Kvothe is a teenage boy and in his view of women occasionally stereotypically so, and when that happens, it grates on me. Rothfuss's writing, worldbuilding and plotting in the main series was good enough to keep me reading, though, and there were interesting women in his stories, even if we only get them through Kvothe's viewpoint. I didn't love the books like some do, but I liked them pretty well, and could see what others loved in them.

This little story, which Rothfuss dismisses in both the introduction and the afterword, as something that most people won't like, as something that doesn't do what a story should do, this little story hit me harder than either of the main books in the series. Auri is luminous and complex and broken; she knows that she's broken, but she keeps on keeping on, putting her secret world to rights day by day, and fighting her own eccentricities to do what she feels she needs to do. She is not normal. She has bad mental days. She talks to and attributes personalities to the items that she collects. We never see her interact with another person. And she is wonderful, and her story is wonderful. I'd really like Pat Rothfuss to write more stories like this - or even just more stories that aren't in Kvothe's point of view, because honestly, I don't like Kvothe very much. I love Auri. Highly recommend this story. If you're the right kind of person, this story will make you feel like coming home, a little. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
Having read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the first two books in "The Kingkiller Chronicle," I found myself in the same predicament as other fans. I now must patiently wait for the conclusion to be finalized. And with no specified release date, there's no telling how long we have to wait. I found my way into the author's picture books about The Princess and Mr. Whiffle and I started following his blog. A friend of mine talked with me about this book (The Slow Regard of Silent Things) and pointed out that he didn't really like it much but that it was interesting. With that intro, I sought out Slow Regard and began to read.

From the very beginning, Rothfuss lets you know that "You may not want...this book...This is a bit of a strange story. It doesn't do a lot of the things a classic story is supposed to do." Starting out with a strong apology is an interesting tactic. Often such an apology can be viewed as a non-apology and more of a challenge. Rothfuss does set up some distinct warnings (such as "this is NOT book three" or rather this does not continue Kvothe's storyline. Also, if you haven't read his other books, "don't…start here.") The rest of the warning felt more like a challenge to me to figure out what this book is about and/or why it was written/published.

While it's certainly true that you lose a ton of context by reading this book without having read his other books it is also true that this book has virtually no interrelation to the plot of the other books. This is a story about Auri and her day-to-day life. She lives in "the Underthing" which is a sort of sewer and storm drain system beneath the University Kvothe attends in the other books. There are some small mentions of the science/alchemy that Rothfuss established in the other books but otherwise there's not much other knowledge required. I truly felt that this book could have been completely detached from the other books (that is, requiring no knowledge of them) with just a few small tweaks here and there.

As far as the "strangeness" of this story, it's certainly true that this book strays from the "things a classic story is supposed to do." There is very little in the way of plot...no real rising action, climax, conflict resolution, etc. There are no other real characters. The world building is minimal (partly because of inferences to the other books but also partly due to the way Auri's mind works). So, without all of that, what makes this book compelling? From the reviews and comments I've seen online, many people will say "Nothing...this book is NOT compelling." I try to take a different approach.

I found this book intriguing. It took a little extra focus sometimes to follow Auri's train of thought and action. The way she raced around the Underthing with its strange names and locations was sometimes difficult to follow. But as I read, I found very specific and deliberate motivations and found myself working to understand Auri.

I decided that Auri is very multi-faceted. In our day, she would be categorized as having some strong OCD and likely ADHD. She has a very strong sense of the way things "should be." Huge sections of text are dedicated to her trying to figure out just where to put down an object she found in a neglected corner of a room somewhere. She moves from room to room, arranging and rearranging everything until it is "just so" and the world is back in balance. While doing this, she is ultra-focused but also loses her focus quickly if she finds something else that's out of balance. Her sense of balance is very finely tuned.

As it relates the world of Temerant that Rothfuss established in his books, Auri has what seems like an innate knowledge of the "names" of things as well as understanding of the sciences/magics alchemy and sympathy that can be used to manipulate things in the world. She is smart but with a different sort of knowledge that most people look for. She understands how the world works at a different level that is studied by most. Possibly because of these differences, she also has a very different way of communicating and behaving. As we learned in the other novels, she struggles to interact with other humans. Her interactions with Kvothe were initially very guarded until he was willing to meet and communicate with her on her terms and in her way.

Throughout Slow Regard, if there is any plot at all it is that Auri is maintaining the balance of the Underthing and seeking a special gift for Kvothe (only referred to as "him" or "he") when she plans to meet with him again next week. The flow of the story is methodical and unpredictable yet also interesting.

This book is more of a character study than a story but it is still compelling and has relevance not only to the world of the Kingkiller books but also to how we might look at those people in our own world who are slightly "off" and with whom we might have difficulty connecting. This novella is a reminder that everyone's brain works in a slightly different way and that we should seek to understand them and meet on their terms if we want to truly understand them. And unless we seek to understand them, we should not attempt to judge them or classify them. For can you truly classify that which you do not understand.

I agree with Rothfuss that this book is certainly not for everyone. It's probably not even for everyone who's reading his main series. It's not a typical story. I could see this book as being an interesting companion text for a psychology class or for those interested in social behaviors of people. I found this to be an intriguing read and I'm glad I picked it up.

***
3 out of 5 stars ( )
  theokester | Jun 18, 2018 |
The fact that there are so many reviews talking about how awful this book is and ragging on Rothfuss for not getting done quicker , just affirms for me that he is doing something right and that there is something special about him. When is genius truly recognized in its own time? When we people truly able to realize how great something is in its moment? And as far as time...Tolkien took 16 years to write Lord of the Rings, with multiple years between each book. People really need to calm down.

As for this book, it is amazing and beautiful. If you don't like this book then you fall into the category of people who are not broken and misplaced and trying to sort their way through the world like Auri is. And I don't think that there are many people that are like that really. Rothfuss is seeing himself in Auri and would we want Rothfuss's mind to be completely accessible to everyone? This book takes after the likes of Joyce and Faulkner, falling into a grand tradition of authors who break outside of the mold and create beautiful things. ( )
  never_sam | May 16, 2018 |
As I sit here impatiently awaiting the third book of the Kingkiller Chronicles, this book gave me a small glimpse back into the world I knew and loved. I can’t necessarily say it answered questions for me, in a way it gave me so many more. However, it was quirky and adorable and helped me feel more connected to one of the series greatest characters. Books need more Auris because she’s beautiful and real. ( )
  KatiBruneau | May 7, 2018 |
4.5 stars.

I expected this book to be strange, by the premise and reviews. I braced myself for something that I might not necessarily like. Usually, when books are expected - predictable - they tend to be boring; unexciting. But when you expect something to be unexpected, then what? Then I think it stands to reason that there are no bounds to what you can get out of a book.

I do get why people were weirded out, confused, disappointed by this whimsical little tale. It has no plot to speak of, barely any characters - mostly strange descriptions and descritptions of strange things. A lot of thoughts and feelings, too - but what are these if not strange things?

Auri's adventures are bizarre and in a strange way, mundane - they only turned into very eventful occurences through her unique perspective. I liked seeing things through Auri's eyes. The world she lives in is strange and beautiful where it could easily be dreary and lonely and cold. It was magic even though nothing particularly magical happened in the story.

I used to love Auri in the Kingkiller Chronicles books, but as a fleeting side character. Now I love her a lot more, for herself, as a character, rather than for her existence alongside Kvothe. If that makes any sense at all. I'm not sure.

I guess what I liked about this book is that I got a very honest glimpse of a girl that is not exactly normal, but so very human. In a way, I could see myself in her; I think everybody has a little wierdness in them, something to set them apart from everyone else... In some it's more pronounced maybe, and in some only acknowledged very deep down. Maybe the wierdness inside us is what makes us human. Maybe...

I'm just really glad Patrick Rothfuss wrote Auri's story. And I'm really glad I got to read it. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Patrick Rothfussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Taylor, NateIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Theodor, AlissaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vi, without whom there might be no story. And Tunnel Bob, without whom there would be no Auri.
When Auri woke, she knew that she had seven days.

A companion novella to Patrick Rothfuss’ bestselling Kingkiller Chronicle novels, The Slow Regard of Silent Things shares an enchanting new perspective on the Four Corners realm.

Renowned as a bastion of knowledge, the University draws the brightest minds to unravel the mysteries of enlightened sciences, such as artificing and alchemy. Yet deep below its bustling halls lies a complex web of abandoned rooms and ancient passageways. In the heart of this cavernous maze is a young woman named Auri, who calls this Underthing her home.

Formerly a student at the University, Auri now spends her days tending to the world around her. She knows that some mysteries are better settled and safe. No longer fooled by the sharp rationality so trusted by those above her, Auri sees beyond the surface of things, into subtle dangers and hidden names.

At once joyous and haunting, The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a richly atmospheric and lyrical tale, featuring one of the most beloved characters from Rothfuss’ acclaimed fantasy series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:43 -0400)

Deep below the University, there is a dark place. Few people know of it: a broken web of ancient passageways and abandoned rooms. A young woman lives there, tucked among the sprawling tunnels of the Underthing, snug in the heart of this forgotten place. Her name is Auri, and she is full of mysteries.… (more)

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,524,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible