What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets by…

What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets

by Peter Menzel, Peter Menzel, Peter Menzel

I am so very pleased that I purchased "What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets" by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio. I was curious after reading an unusually glowing review in a major national newspaper and assumed that I might want to buy this book. I have a strong interest in books about food. In particular, I love books about eating healthy and responsibly. I also enjoy books about different cuisines around the world. But what really pushed me over the edge and made me click on that "Add to Cart" button was this: "What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets" looked like it might be a major contribution to modern cultural anthropology. I am a retired academic librarian, and a voracious reader of literature, history, natural history, biology, psychology, anthropology, and many other academic fields. I have a demanding and inquiring mind…and frankly, this book looked like something that would delight and satisfy my intellectual curiosity on many fronts. I was not disappointed.

I've learned so much about the world and myself from studying and reading this book.

It took me more than two weeks to finish it…and, even then, I did not want it to end. I slowly savored every image and every word. I can't remember when another book has given me so many exceptionally pleasurable reading hours. I will want to come back and reread and review this book many times. It may look like a gorgeous coffee table book, but it is so much more.

This book belongs in the collection of every academic and public library. It would make a magnificent and memorable gift to anybody who has strong intellectual curiosity about food or modern cultural anthropology. But, you don't have to be an academic to love this book; having an extraordinary interest in people is enough. This book can be examined and enjoyed on many levels…it is rich with content.

Buy a copy! For once, I have to admit that this is not the type of book you want to borrow from a library. You'll be happy that you own it. But be forewarned: once your friends see it, they will want to borrow it. ( )
2 vote msbaba | Oct 27, 2010 |

Peter Menzelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Menzel, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Menzel, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed

A stunning photographic collection featuring portraits of 80 people from 30 countries and the food they eat in one day.

In this fascinating study of people and their diets, 80 profiles are organized by the total number of calories each person puts away in a day. Featuring a Japanese sumo wrestler, a Massai herdswoman, world-renowned Spanish chef Ferran Adria, an American competitive eater, and more, these compulsively readable personal stories also include demographic particulars, including age, activity level, height, and weight. Essays from Harvard primatologist Richard Wrangham, journalist Michael Pollan, and others discuss the implications of our modern diets for our health and for the planet. This compelling blend of photography and investigative reportage expands our understanding of the complex relationships among individuals, culture, and food.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 20 Apr 2014 07:58:49 -0400)

"A photographic collection with stories of 80 people and the food they eat over the course of one day, organized by total daily calorie count and including detailed food lists"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,224,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible