The Children of Men by P. D. James

The Children of Men (1992)

by P.D. James

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (VictoriaPL, sturlington)
    VictoriaPL: Another dystopian tale of a future world dealing with infertility.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Larkken)
    The Ice People by Maggie Gee (imyril)
    imyril: A dystopian future struggling with infertility
    The First Century After Beatrice by Amin Maalouf (inge87)
    inge87: Speculative fiction about a future where men can be permanently cured of having daughters.
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (ramblingivy)
    The Alteration by Kingsley Amis (devenish)
    Ark Baby by Liz Jensen (isabelx)
    isabelx: No more babies.

English (146)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (148)
  jll1976 | Nov 13, 2014 |
Didn't hold up well on the second reading. ( )
  AuntieClio | Nov 5, 2014 |
James should stick to mystery. The concept of the book was brilliant, but she just didn't do it justice. I kept expecting much more. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 18, 2014 |
Bought this at the Niantic Book Barn with a couple pals, so we could all have a long distance reading club together. my first PD James book, so I had no expectations about her as an author. This struck me as a very British dystopian book - slower, introspective,with a weird sort of humor that occasionally pops up, but suspenseful and scary. Like most shorter things I've been reading and liking lately, I almost want to reread it immediately (but I won't). I really enjoyed it. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |

Again, to my daughters
Clare and Jane
who helped
Friday 1 January 2021

Early this morning, 1 January 2021, three minutes after midnight, the last human being to be born on earth was killed in a pub brawl in a suburb of Buenos Aires, aged twenty-five years, two months and twelve days.

The human race has become infertile, and the last generation to be born is now adult. Civilization itself is crumbling as suicide and despair become commonplace. Oxford historian Theodore Faron, apathetic toward a future without a future, spends most of his time reminiscing. Then he is approached by Julian, a bright, attractive woman who wants him to help get her an audience with his cousin, the powerful Warden of England. She and her band of unlikely revolutionaries may just awaken his desire to live and they may also hold the key to survival for the human race.

Told with P. D. James's trademark suspense, insightful characterization, and riveting storytelling, The Children of Men is a story of a world with no children and no future. The human race has become infertile, and the last generation to be born is now adult. Civilization itself is crumbling as suicide and despair become commonplace. Oxford historian Theodore Faron, apathetic toward a future without a future, spends most of his time reminiscing. Then he is approached by Julian, a bright, attractive woman who wants him to help get her an audience with his cousin, the powerful Warden of England. She and her band of unlikely revolutionaries may just awaken his desire to live . . . and they may also hold the key to survival for the human race.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

In 2021, with the human race becoming extinct because of the infertility of all males, Oxford historian Theodore Faron is drawn into the schemes of an unlikely group of revolutionaries out to save society.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,997,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible