Digging for Richard III: The Search for the…

Digging for Richard III: The Search for the Lost King (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Mike Pitts (Author)

Member:katycat
Title:Digging for Richard III: The Search for the Lost King
Authors:Mike Pitts (Author)
Info:Thames & Hudson (2014), Edition: 1, 208 pages

Digging for Richard III: The Search for the Lost King by Mike Pitts (2014)

The chapters that contained technical information concerning the autopsy or the actual dig were good. The chapters about the people involved were weak. The way the author writes about Phillipa Langley makes her sounds like she is delusional. Just not that great of a book. ( )
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
I'd like to give this a 3.5, but I'll go with three. The story is amazing and I had a hard time putting git down. I always kind of want my non-fiction to read like fiction...so it's probably not fair to wish this book had kept more of a mystery to what was going to happen (plus, I knew what was going to happen anyway, so why am I griping about heavy-handed "foreshadowing," or whatever you call it when it's not fiction? General perversity...). The author also made much of a few things being "related," when it was really just coincidence. I can't remember specifics, but it was stuff on the order of lots of people being involved all named Richard, or certain things happening a similar distance apart, etc. The only coincidence that really appeared to be worth noting was that digging began on the anniversary of Richard III's burial. So all the other things kind of seemed like the author was really straining - it was jarring to come across those kind of references. ( )
  4hounds | Nov 16, 2014 |
'For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.'
              Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene
For Nicky
'What we are about to tell you is truly astonishing.'
'This dig', said the archaeologists, 'is NOT normal.'¹

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0500252009, Hardcover)

The story of the archaeology behind the dig that found Richard III, told through a fascinating array of photographs, diagrams, and firsthand accounts

In August 2012 a search began and on February 4, 2013 a team from Leicester University delivered its verdict to a mesmerized press room, watched by media studios around the world: they had found the remains of Richard III, whose history is perhaps the most contested of all British monarchs.

History offers a narrow range of information about Richard III which mostly has already been worked to destruction. Archaeology creates new data, new stories, with a different kind of material: physical remains from which modern science can wrest a surprising amount, and which provide a direct, tangible connection with the past. Unlike history, archaeological research demands that teams of people with varied backgrounds work together. Archaeology is a communal activity, in which the interaction of personalities as well as professional skills can change the course of research. Photographs from the author’s own archives, alongside additional material from Leicester University, offer a compelling detective story as the evidence is uncovered. 41 iillustrations in color and black-and-white

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

The events of Richard IIIs reign and his death in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth are known worldwide through Shakespeares most performed, filmed and translated history play. Digging for Richard III is the page-turning story of how his grave was found, the people behind the discovery and what it tells us. It is the first complete narrative of a project that blended passion, science, luck and detection. Told by a noted archaeologist with access to all the parties involved, it follows the quest from an idea born in an Edinburgh bookshop to the day, fourteen years later, when two archaeologists carefully raised the bones from a car park in Leicester, and the scientific studies that resulted. The vivid tale of a king, his demise and now his rediscovery, this is also an insiders gripping account of how modern archaeology really works, of how clues meticulously assembled and forensically examined are pieced together to create a narrative worthy of the finest detective fiction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,615,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible