Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Roald Dahl

Member:kgriffith
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:New York, N.Y.: Viking Kestrel, 1988. 240 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. 1st American ed.
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:a, children's, fantasy

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (350)  Dutch (9)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (369)
For the audiobook read by Kate Winslet:

I remember Matilda from childhood, but in listening to it this time I realized that mostly I remembered only the first half of it (about up to the chocolate cake). I had completely forgotten Matilda's supernatural abilities and all the particulars of how the villain is comeuppanced. I wonder if I only reread the bits that were so specifically about reading as a kid. Anyway, I enjoyed listening to this so very much. Dahl does his weird kids/terrible adults/singular awesome adult thing brilliantly here. And Kate Winslet does a spectacular job reading it. I did note a fair number of unfortunate characterizations (the villain is "large" and it's part of her villainy and we are. not. allowed. to. forget. it. there's some class stuff that's a little *grimace*. I suspect that someone who wanted to think about it a little harder than I can right now could come up with something pretty damning about lesbianism being associated with villainy too), but it mostly stays at the level of "we can talk about this" rather than "this completely ruins the whole book." For me at least. YMMV. ( )
  lycomayflower | Nov 4, 2018 |
I really liked this book at the beginning. Matilda is described wonderfully and she does some ingenious mischief. However the abuse by the stupid parents and the god-awful, evil Miss Trunchbull kept piling up and made me cringe. The pointlessness of it was bugging me. Why would someone who hates children run a school? And I can't imagine parents who would shrug it off when they are told that their kid is a genius. This spoiled the book that is otherwise engagingly written. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
summary: Matilda, a young girl, has a lot of bullies in her life such as her family and teacher at school but soon realizes that she has the power of telekinesis which she uses to fight back against these bullies with.
reflection: When I was young, I always wanted to have super powers of some sort. It was really cool to read about a little girl with such a strong head on her shoulders, even though so many people were trying to bring her down. I think that a lot of students would also enjoy this classic book because it's such a fun book!
  dempseydee | Sep 17, 2018 |
I wish I had read this book when I was a kid and, at least, before I watched the movie! ❤️ ( )
  rpilar | Sep 15, 2018 |
Humorous story about a brilliant little girl with awful parents and how she deals with their neglect. ( )
  1Avidfan | Sep 5, 2018 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Boy / The Witches / Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Witches / The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 6-Book Boxed Set: The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Esio Trot, Matilda, The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Omnibus: The BFG / Matilda / George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 15 Book Box Set (Slipcase) by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible