No title (1988)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (251)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (261)
Narrated by Kate Winslet. Does Kate Winslet have kids? Because lucky the little ones who get to snuggle next to her as she reads aloud. Her interpretation of Matilda is hilarious, hysterical, bombastic and memorable. Take along on those long family road trips; the kids will be too engaged to ask "are we there yet?" ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Loved the book, hate the film. That little lisping twit drove me nuts. She wasn't Matilda! Matilda would never lisp! I also hated that she got to keep her powers at the end just because they didn't feel like explaining that it was better that she didn't have them.

Ah fuck it. Anyway.

I loved Matilda because I loved to read when I was a kid. It's as simple as that. She read, I read. Of course, I wasn't anywhere near as precocious as she is in the book, but I can live with that. Her parents are fabulously awful. And for some reason I picture Miss Trunchbull as my gran. Doesn't quite live up to my favourites The BFG or The Witches, as it feels just a shade slighter character-wise than those, but I do love it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Matilda is a little girl with a big mind. Matilda didn't have the normal life when your parents will come check on you and love you and make sure you're ok. She had parents who really didn't care at all. Matilda busied herself by reading books. She has became one of the smartest kindergarteners just by reading books. She became so smart that she developed telekinesis. At first, she didn't what do do with her new ability, but an opportunity came along. A special one too.
The school's headmistress, Ms. Trunchbull, was the meanest, nastiest, headmistresses ever existed (at least in Matilda opinion). And there she was standing in front of a whole class of little kindergarteners. While Ms. Trunchbull was giving a brutal lecture, Matilda spotted a newt in a cup full of water near headmistress Trunchbull. Matilda, testing out her power, tipped over the cup into Headmistress Trunchbull's dress. Matilda was amazed about herself but nobody else new it was her.
Later, Matilda walked with her teacher, Mrs. Honey, to her house because she was Matilda's only and favorite teacher. She was also trying to prove to Mrs. Honey that she was the reason the newt fell. Of course Mrs. Honey didn't believe at first, but then Matilda proved the she had telekinesis and tipped over the glass. Then Matilda and Mrs. Honey talked for awhile. Mrs. Honey really liked Matilda and Matilda liked Mrs. Honey.
Eventually Mrs. Honey started talking about her childhood. After that, Matilda talked about her family and Mrs. Honey felt bad. Mrs. Honey felt like if she adopted Matilda that they would both be happy. She said since her father died she had to have a guardian. That's why Mrs. Trunchbull talks to her like that. Patronizing her, treating her like a chew toy. Since Matilda had power she thought she could change that. So she took the information just received, she came up with a plan.
Matilda will pose as Mrs. Honey's Father, Magnus, and use her telekinesis to make it seem like his spirit came back to haunt her. Taking the bait, Headmistress Trunchbull ran and was never seen again. Matilda's family but Matilda didn't want to go. Mrs. Honey asked if Matilda can stay with her. The parents thought "Well, thats's one less child to worry about."and let Matilda stay with Mrs. Honey.
Matilda was eventually moved up into 6th grade but lost her power. Mrs. Honey believed that Matilda's intelligence mets at the 6th grade level, so her power went away. But it was okay, because Matilda made everything right while she had powers. ( )
  JayB.B3 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,070,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible