No title (1988)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (266)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (277)
Loved the book, hate the film. That little lisping twit drove me nuts. She wasn't Matilda! Matilda would never lisp! I also hated that she got to keep her powers at the end just because they didn't feel like explaining that it was better that she didn't have them.

Ah fuck it. Anyway.

I loved Matilda because I loved to read when I was a kid. It's as simple as that. She read, I read. Of course, I wasn't anywhere near as precocious as she is in the book, but I can live with that. Her parents are fabulously awful. And for some reason I picture Miss Trunchbull as my gran. Doesn't quite live up to my favourites The BFG or The Witches, as it feels just a shade slighter character-wise than those, but I do love it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Matilda is a sweet girl with exceptional powers. Dahl again uses the child as the victor in this hilarious story. Kate Winslet’s British accent makes the story really come to life. ( )
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
I like this book so much my second daughter is called 'Matilda'. Need I say more? ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
In the book Matilda we dive into a world of magical powers. Matilda loves to read books and always has and because of this she is very smart and the teachers pet. She is loved by her classmates and has a great attitude, but all is not right. She has to deal with the mean principle Mrs. Trunchbull who has no sympathy for children and her selfish parents that are only worried about themselves. Matilda has some tricks up her sleeve for some revenge on the obstacles in her life and goes on to help her teacher Ms. honey when she's up against the evil Mrs. Trunchbull.
This book is a great book to teach children about bullying. This could open up a discussion on why it is wrong to bully children just because you are in a bad mood or you are bigger or stronger than other children like Mrs. Trunchbull is in the book.
This is also a great book to read before a field trip to your local library. It could spark an interest in reading and why it is important to become a good reader. ( )
1 vote sb938957 | Jul 2, 2016 |
This book has always been a favorite. It was a very lovely companion to have on nights I stayed up late, huddled under the covers with an American Girl flashlight and my dog, thinking my reading ruse ever-so-ingenious. No reading ruses were needed this time around... but I'd admit I'd have been amenable to a blanket fort. Maybe next time! ( )
1 vote lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,335,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible