Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:ShannaThomp08
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (250)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (260)
Matilda by Roald Dahl
240 pages

★★★★★

Oh, what a delightful book. When I was a child, Roald Dahl was a favorite author of mine and after re-reading his books, I still love them just as much…if not more. Matilda is a great book. I love the characters with Matilda and Miss Honey being so enjoyable and Trunchbull and Matilda’s parents being absolutely awful human beings. And how could you seriously not want a child like Matilda?! I listened to the audio version, done by Kate Winslet, and I thought she did an absolutely wonderful job with all the voices. This is a fun, short read and definitely worth a quick read. I look forward to reading this one to my son when he is a bit older!
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Narrated by Kate Winslet. Does Kate Winslet have kids? Because lucky the little ones who get to snuggle next to her as she reads aloud. Her interpretation of Matilda is hilarious, hysterical, bombastic and memorable. Take along on those long family road trips; the kids will be too engaged to ask "are we there yet?" ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Loved the book, hate the film. That little lisping twit drove me nuts. She wasn't Matilda! Matilda would never lisp! I also hated that she got to keep her powers at the end just because they didn't feel like explaining that it was better that she didn't have them.

Ah fuck it. Anyway.

I loved Matilda because I loved to read when I was a kid. It's as simple as that. She read, I read. Of course, I wasn't anywhere near as precocious as she is in the book, but I can live with that. Her parents are fabulously awful. And for some reason I picture Miss Trunchbull as my gran. Doesn't quite live up to my favourites The BFG or The Witches, as it feels just a shade slighter character-wise than those, but I do love it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,156,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible