Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:ShannaThomp08
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The BFG by Roald Dahl (Morteana)
    The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (288)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All (300)
Matilda was published in 1988 and I got to read it in my 20's. Totally loved it! The illustrations add to the fun of reading Matilda's punishments to her parents! How original! I love how goodness exists everywhere when you need it! And completely impressed with the girl's mathematical prowess not to mention being able to read when you are FIVE! I also love the fact how childhood books seem more interesting and fun when you read them as a grownup! I am hunting down for more Roald Dahl books now! Yay to childhood! ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
This is the first book I read by Mr. Dahl (I have seen the movies, though) and I loved it.

Matilda is an adorable and bright little girl and I couldn't feel more identified with her love for books. I wish I could feel identified with her genius thing, but hey, at least we have something in common :) ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
Utterly delightful tale of precocious Matilda's revenge upon her neglectful parents and the atrocious headmistress, Miss Trunchbull. The only time she isn't being ignored by her mother and father is when they are heaping scorn about her little shoulders. She teaches herself to read by age three, finding refuge in books. Within a few years, she is taking on Dickens, Hemingway and the like. Hard not to love this child!

When her parents finally remember to enroll her in school, she comes under the care of the lovely Miss Honey. We all fall in love with our first grade school teacher, but Miss Honey deserves a special category all to herself. Then the vile Miss Trunchbull makes life so very, very difficult. Matilda's brain cells are soon cogitating on the best plan ever....

As a child, I adored Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach. Roald Dahl's droll inventive writing still manages to captivate across the space of a few (!) more decades for this now adult reader. I was drawn to Matilda recently due to rave reviews for exquisite narration of actress Kate Winslet. Winslet brings enormous energy, providing engaging and humorous versions of each character. I think that I would have enjoyed this book no matter what, but Winslet's narration raised it to stratospheric heights. A five star winner for me! ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jan 6, 2017 |
I haven’t read this book since childhood, and I was delighted that it’s still just as entertaining to read as an adult! I’m a huge Roald Dahl fan so it was fun to start reading his works again. I read this right as I saw Matilda, Tim Minchin’s musical, so it was nice to compare the book to the musical (which actually stayed fairly true to the story)! ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
Matilda is a child genius who uses her extra mental powers to right a wrong for her favorite teacher.

Dahl's portrayal of authority figures is atypical for him. I think that besides Dahl growing up when he did and the experiences he had, he is simply able to tap into a child's mind and see the world through their eyes.

Adults are nigh unto gods, in many respects, to most kids, like Greco-Roman gods. And Dahl understands, captures, portrays and satirizes that relationship.

And we get a funny yarn out of it all :D ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslet, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,785,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible