Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:ShannaThomp08
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Wicked adults are defeated and there is much humor. Erudition is prized. T. H. White is funnier than Roald Dahl, more erudite and less grotesque.
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (TomWaitsTables)

English (234)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (243)
I had a lot of fun with this book. The story of a very young and brilliant girl who doesn't realize her own brilliance but exhibits it everyday none the less. This story enticed me from the very beginning although I knew the premise and have watched the film, and that is because of the brilliant writing style of Roald Dahl. I enjoyed every moment of this book and the way it's aimed at kids without dumbing it down for them. This story was one of those that entices children and adults alike. Roald Dahl really explored the importance of reading but also the pleasure that comes with said activity. There is so much wit and playfulness with language in this book that I will definitely re-read this book again many times in the future. The characters were written really well with many layers which I found surprising in a children's book. Although the sudden appearance of Matilda's telekinetic abilities struck me as quite odd it was also a moment I loved because the author wrote of that ability with such ease and helped me picture it and as something that was real. But as quickly as it came into the story, it also left rather suddenly. I'm still confused as to whether it made sense or not, but in the end it doesn't matter because it was fun to read about and explore as Matilda's journey ensued. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Aug 1, 2015 |
I have always loved Roald Dahl and the lovable characters that his stories bring into the world. This is one of Dahl's books that I did not read as a kid, but I really wish that I had. I love Matilda's humble brilliance and how she is always beating adults at their own games. I love that the book brings in elements of fantasy, but in a realistic seeming way. I love Dahl's ability to write about the kinds of things that kids really think about. There is something magical about reading a book that touches on the same ponderingings you have had and this book definitely does that for kids, which I find to be very magical. Matilda, as a character. is the kind of brilliant vigilante that kids should look up to. All of Dahl's books are truly for kids, and that is what I love so much about them. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jul 20, 2015 |
You can identify with the characters in Matilda. She is sweet and intelligent even as a small child. After encountering a mean teacher she discovers she has a great power to fight back. This is a great story in which children will enjoy.
  foleysh | Jul 18, 2015 |
Summary: Matilda was an adorable book. This book is about an adorable smart gifted child with magical powers, she can move things with her eyes. Shes sassy and fun, this book would be such a fantasy who children who wish to be different.

My reaction: Great book, Loved it as a child and still do. I actually only watched the movie growing up, when i seen it on the shelf I knew I had to pick it to read.

Classroom:
1.) Children can read this book in groups and think about about what power they could have.
2.) the class can read it, then watch the movie together.
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 15, 2015 |
I can't believe it took me so long to read this adorable little book. Dahl is so witty! I didn't expect to chuckle as much as I did when reading this. I love the illustrations too - they really add to the story. An excellent book for children and adults alike! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jul 1, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.
The reader of books

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,523,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible