Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:ShannaThomp08
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (one-horse.library)

English (207)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (216)
Matilda Wormwood is a story about a girl with parents that misunderstood her. Her mother,who is addicted to bingo and her father, a cheap car salesman, doesn't care about her. But they don't know that Matilda is a girl with great intelligence. They sign her up to a school with a mean teacher, Ms.trenchbull, a mean principle and a nice teacher ,Ms. Honey. Ms. honey is fascinated by the brain capacity of this little girl and Honey , later known as ms. Trenchbull's niece. Is given her property that the Trenchbull . The wormwood move to Spain and Matilda is adopted by ms. honey.

In this book there was a lot of excitement, mystery, and fantasy. This book is a great ending and a very nail bitting mystery. This book is so good that they made a play and a movie from the book. This book is good to reading to people or ust reading it to your self. This book i also by a beloved author Roald Dahl who made this book that I think that everyone should read.I saw this book in the library and i thought I felt love a first page.I chose the right book to read. I recomend this to everyone that likes a good book. ( )
  MayaR.B3 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Loved the book, hate the film. That little lisping twit drove me nuts. She wasn't Matilda! Matilda would never lisp! I also hated that she got to keep her powers at the end just because they didn't feel like explaining that it was better that she didn't have them.

Ah fuck it. Anyway.

I loved Matilda because I loved to read when I was a kid. It's as simple as that. She read, I read. Of course, I wasn't anywhere near as precocious as she is in the book, but I can live with that. Her parents are fabulously awful. And for some reason I picture Miss Trunchbull as my gran. Doesn't quite live up to my favourites The BFG or The Witches, as it feels just a shade slighter character-wise than those, but I do love it. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Matilda is about the ever so cute little girl who is adopted by cruel parents and has a very bratty brother. She goes to school with an awful principal Ms. Trunchbull who is out to get Matilda and her special powers. This is a silly chapter book and is a perfect read for a younger group possibly 3rd or 4th grade, it is a good first time chapter book because the vocabulary is not too extensive and the material is simple and easy to read.
  Jclark5 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Matilda's story is known by everyone my age, especially because its movie adaptation has been on tv almost every year. And there's a reason for that:
The movie - and the book - brings to you a story for children, but not a childish story. What I mean to say with this statement is that anyone, from children to adults will be able to enjoy it. Matilda is a story about this little girl is very clever from a young age. Living with her opressing family, Matilda grows being told to watch tv and drop books in the trash, that money and beauty is everything the world lives for. Not only is her family dumb, they're also terrible to her, making her an isolated child who found her save spot in the pages of the books she read.
The story then moves on describing all of the many Matilda's adventures. This book is lovely lovely lovely! And morals are teached. And Matilda is clever and gives people back what they deserve without being disrespectful and that means a lot.
If there's one thing that has always kinda bothered me is the fact that if I had read this when I was a kid I probably would have felt like a failure compared to Matilda. This would have been nicer if Matilda was slightly older in my opinion.
But in general this was a pretty quick and funny read which I recommend to pretty much anyone with a heart. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, Quentinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:27 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,513,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible