Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda (original 1988; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:ShannaThomp08
Title:Matilda
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:****1/2

Matilda by Roald Dahl (1988)

Recently added byprivate library, CorinasQuill, jouleschool, dwormkc, raselyem7, kairih, arena90, surajkumarr
    The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another children's story about a girl with the power of telekinesis (being able to move things around without touching them)
    Someday Angeline by Louis Sachar (infiniteletters)
    Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert Kingfisher (allthesedarnbooks)
    The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: Trunchbull & Miss Breakbone have the same militant teaching style
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (krizia_lazaro)
    Carrie by Stephen King (one-horse.library)

English (201)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (210)
THE book for kids who love to read. Despite being a little boy, It didn't matter to me in the slightest that Matilda was a girl and I was cheering her on the whole time. Incredibly funny and naughty, you will laugh and possibly cry by the time you are finished. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
I loved this book when I was a little girl and it's still enjoyable even now. Matilda Wormwood is an extremely bright five year-old who reads Dickens and can work out huge sums as fast as a calculator. But her parents are blind to her intelligence, seeing her as nothing more than an irritating distraction from their television obsession. When she starts school, despite the terrifying headmistress spreading fear and tyranny through the children, she finally finds someone to appreciate and stimulate her interest in the world in the form of her young teacher Miss Honey. When she discovers that she has the magical power to move things with her eyes, and Miss Honey confesses her tragic life story, Matilda sets about plotting how to bring these two events together and work a miracle that will set the world to rights at last.

It's a lovely book - funny, well written, scattered with more mature literary references and moral ideas that older children would understand better than younger ones, yet also catering to the younger reader with its mischievous humour. Plus, as ever, Quentin Blake's charming and quirky drawings bring the characters to life and illuminate the story throughout its pages. When I was little I just wanted to read and read, explore knowledge and be just like Matilda when I read it! Now I can read it as a gentle, sweet tale of one generous and bookish little girl, which is refreshing in today's technology-mad, materialistic culture. Definitely one to treasure, and to pass on to my own children in a few years' time! ( )
  elliepotten | Jul 31, 2014 |
This was one of my favorites as a young girl. I even tried to move something with my eyes, and I can remember getting such a bad eye-headache afterwards... but I felt such a part of Matilda, felt her injustice, her desire to help, her desire for affection and approval. The magic happy ending is encouraging for someone looking for hope in troubling, adolescent times of loneliness. ( )
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
The parts where Matilda is getting revenge on her family are pretty funny. The resolution is good because it was kind of a surprise and the ending worked well. The book is surprisingly similar to the stage version. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jul 16, 2014 |
I remember reading this repeatedly when I was younger. I re-read the first ~100 pages recently (July 2014) and loved it all over again, as extreme and unlikely as it is (a four-year-old reading Dickens?). But it appeals to the reader's sense of right and wrong, fairness and unfairness. Matilda is every book-lover's hero. ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 15, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, Quentinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Lucy
It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers.

Matilda applies her untapped mental powers to rid the school of the evil, child-hatting headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, and restore her nice teacher, Miss Honey, to financial security.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410373, Paperback)

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable--the big surprise comes when Matilda discovers a new, mysterious facet of her mental dexterity. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:27 -0400)

Matilda, a brilliant, sensitive little girl, uses her talents and ingenuity to seek revenge on her crooked father, lazy mother, and the terrifying Miss Trunchbull, her wicked headmistress, and save her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314567, 0141805625, 0141322667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible