The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on…

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth (1999)

by Scott Hahn

Catechism of the Catholic Church by Catholic Church (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This is a great book that provides a wonderful overview of Mass.

I absolutely love this book... It brings the Mass to life! My cousin told me about this book and I knew it was one that I needed in my own collection. I have a much better understanding of Mass because of this book. ( )
  tannerl | Jun 30, 2013 |
Despite being a Catholic all of my life, I learned much from this book; it reaffirms the importance of attending Mass and understanding all the tradition, ritual, and promises fulfilled each time the Mass is celebrated. I appreciated the connections between the Old Testament and the New Testament--I had many aha moments as I read this book. ( )
  smouw | Jun 5, 2011 |
Reason for Reading: I love Scott Hahn's writings and plan to read as much of his work as possible. This is his most popular book so I decided to read it next.

This book has both a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, something that is always important to me when reading Catholic non-fiction. Going back to the early Christian's for inspiration Hahn shows us how they used the Book of Revelation to understand the Mass. The two are connected to such an amazing degree that Hahn's easy to read lay person voice makes everything he explains abundantly clear. Hahn uses a heavy foundation of Old Testament scripture and explains thoroughly the need for sacrifice in the OT Jewish religion. This increasingly sheds light on Jesus' role as "lamb" in the New Testament, in Revelation and in the Mass. Hahn shows how Revelation is divided into two parts at Chapter 11 equalling the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. When "we lift up our hearts" we literally are lifting them up to heaven and the Mass is the one place and time that we experience Heaven on earth.

I have my monthly missal on my bedside table and as I was reading this book, I found myself grabbing it and reading through the actual words of the Mass as Hahn explained meanings of certain parts. I know my responses and I take them seriously. I always get tears when I say "I am not worthy ..." but Hahn made me see them again in a new light, such as examining the "Holy, holy, holy". But more than this, Hahn had me reading the priest's lines and truly grasping what is happening at Mass with new eyes. Every Catholic knows that Jesus, the angels and saints are with us at Mass but by reading this book you'll fully understand when, where and why. This is certainly a book that bears repeated readings. It is a short book, but I took my time with it usually only reading a chapter a night to mull it over (ok sometimes two). Just writing this review makes me want to go to Mass! This is a book every Catholic should read especially if you have fallen into the rut of following the routine and not paying attention to what you are doing and saying. You are missing the most wonderful part of being Catholic, the Mass, Heaven on earth. Read, read, read this book! ( )
2 vote ElizaJane | Mar 9, 2011 |
Dr. Scott Hahn provides another book that explains in very easy to understand terms the relevance of the Mass today. The book is divided into 3 parts each with 4 chapters. I highly recommend this book to any Catholic and to anybody interested in the meaning of the Mass. ( )
1 vote Wiszard | Dec 24, 2007 |

To Kimberly
There I stood, a man incognito, a Protestant minister in plainclothes, slipping into the back of a Catholic chapel in Milwaukee to witness my first Mass.

A catholic scriptural exploration of The Book of Revelation and Liturgy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385496591, Hardcover)

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth reawakens a surprising ancient view of the Eucharist, as the harbinger of the supernatural drama described by the New Testament book of Revelation. Catholic theologian Scott Hahn thinks that many worshippers receive the sacrament of communion without ever considering its links to the end of the world, the Apocalypse, and the Second Coming. Hahn wants to change our minds; he wants us to know that "The Mass--and I mean every single Mass--is heaven on earth." Literally. So, Hahn declares, "Now heaven has been unveiled for us with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ ... Jesus Christ Himself says to you: 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with Me' (Rv. 3:20)." Hahn's enthusiasm, as evident even from these short quotes, is considerable--and infectious. Furthermore, he delivers his arguments with great levity (demonstrated in chapter titles such as "Oath Meal"), which makes The Lamb's Supper quite a tasty read. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:17 -0400)

Examines the Catholic Mass as the key to understanding the Bible Book of Revelation, and uses that information to support the argument that Mass is literally heaven on Earth.

123 wanted1 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,305,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible