Catnapped! by Elaine Viets
The one thing celebrity Trish Barrymore and her no account accountant husband, Mort, can agree on in their bitter divorce is shared cat custody. But when Mort is found brained by a mahogany cat tower, and Justine, their pedigreed Chartreux show cat, goes missing, Trish calls on Helen and Phil. Despite a ransom note from the catnapper, Trish is still the prime murder suspect in the eyes of the police. As they await the post Mortem, it's up to Helen and Phil to find the feline filcher and let the cat out of the bag. Discovering that Mort had some shady dealings within cat show circles, Helen goes undercover as an assistant for a woman who shows prizewinning Persians. But Phil is not buying Trish's cat that swallowed a canary act, he thinks she might be staging the whole catnapping. As Helen and Phil get deeper into a high pressure world of primping, posing, and purring to collar a killer, they get caught up in a cat and mouse game where the stakes are literally life and death...… (more)

I LOVE cats so I am not sure why I didn't love this book. Well, yes I do-too much detail, not enough action. I was very disappointed in this book. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jan 3, 2016 |
It all starts with a catnapping and a nasty divorce. At the end Helen and Phil have solved 3 murders and the catnapping. Solid entry, Helen still makes rookie mistakes but is getting better. ( )
  bgknighton | Jul 24, 2015 |
Catnapped is the thirteenth book in the Dead-End Job Mystery series.

Helen Hawthorne and Phil Sagemont have been hired by Nanci Hays to find Trish Barrymore's valuable show cat, January's Jubilee Justine. The Barrymore's are going through a very messy divorce and the only thing they can agree on is that Justine has the very best of everything. They have joint custody of the cat and when Mort Barrymore fails to return Justine at the appointed time. Trish's lawyer, Nanci Hays, rings Helen and Phil and gives them the case of the missing show cat. Upon arriving at Mort's mansion they find that Mort has been killed. Mort had a reputation of being “ladies man” and a player, so Helen goes undercover and get a job at a cattery. Hoping to get more information about his personal life and maybe learn who might have been jealous enough to do him in.

Meanwhile, there are interesting times at the Coronado, where Helen and Phil live and have their office. The building is starting to show damage done by the salty sea air and Margery is in a turmoil as what about it. Adding to this, Zach Flaz her ex, who see hasn't seen in some 50 or so years, shows up and wants to pick up where they left off. Margery quickly becomes a “person of interest, so now Helen and Phil have a second case to work on. This was a quiet humorous segment of the book, as life with Margery always is.

Will be watching for the next book in the series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 25, 2015 |
Unlucky number 13? Not with this thirteenth book in the Dead-End Jobs Mysteries!

While I’ve read a few books in author Elaine Viet’s Mystery Shopper series, CATNAPPED is the first I have read in her Dead-End Jobs series. I could tell from the very beginning that this was going to be a fun book, and it was!

I love the character Helen and Phil, a husband and wife PI team, and Nancie, they lawyer for the firm they work for. Helene and Phil have a great relationship. I love the way they interact with each other. And Nancie, well, she’s a real piece of work. ;-)

I started laughing during the first chapter and kept laughing until the end. Ms. Viets has a wonderful sense of humor. But the humor in her writing didn’t diminish the wonderful mystery aspect of this story at all. It was tight and well plotted with plenty of twists in the story to keep me guessing. A real page turned that kept my brain working on the answer even when I was reading!

Because of CATNAPPED, I now have a new to me series that I will be adding to my TBR. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | May 4, 2015 |
Florida private eyes Helen Hawthorne and her husband Phil Sagemont are on the case of a kidnapped show cat, Justine, who has been the subject of a bitter divorce dispute between Trish and Mortimer Barrymore. When Mort is late returning Justine in violation of their visitation agreement, Helen and Phil go to Mort’s house and find him dead, murdered, Justine missing.

On the home front, Margery Flak, Helen and Phil’s long-time landlady is surprised by a visit from her ex husband Zach, who wants to rekindle their “romance.” Margery makes it clear that she’s not interested in rekindling anything with her ex. But then he winds up dead, poisoned, Margery comes under suspicion. And the Coronado Apartments, owned by Margery, are in jeopardy from rusting rebar. Could Phil and Helen be turned out of their apartment and their PI office? Perish the thought!

Of course, Helen winds up undercover in a dead-end job – this time, it’s grooming cats – and she learns more than she ever wanted to about the world of pampered felines and their obsessed owners.

Elaine Viets can be counted on to deliver every time. Catnapped! is just what fans expect, a great story, with humor, action and dash. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 24, 2014 |
For Judge Tracy Petty
Thanks for grooming this national champion
The bedroom phone shrilled at five a.m.
Helen's antenna went up. In her experience, employers who complained about lazy staff were cheap and demanding. (chapter 7)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,764,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible