The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare

The Comedy of Errors (original 1623; edition 2005)

by William Shakespeare

Member:Nihil.Obstat
Title:The Comedy of Errors
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Digireads.com (2005), Paperback, 84 pages

The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare (1623)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (32)

Title: The Comedy of Errors
Series: ----------
Author: William Shakespeare
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Play, Comedy
Pages: 272
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

20+ years ago, a family with twin sons and a servant with twin sons, were separated at sea. Now they all come together in the city of Ephesus and mistaken identity comedy errors ensue. With a lot of beatings for the servant twins, who both can't seem to keep their mouths shut.

The error is realized and everyone ends up happy. The End.

My Thoughts:

This completely did not work for me as a read. The humor was not funny on the page nor did the situational humor do a thing for me. I kept wanting to shout “Somebody USE YOUR BRAIN!”

I can see this being very funny if acted out, much like a 3 Stooges scenario. But those wouldn't be funny either on paper. The actors are what make the situations funny, not just the situations themselves.

I also don't find humor about marriage funny. Me and Willy have very different outlooks, that is for sure. That doesn't stop me from being glad to read this or to appreciate it. I just don't like it * grin *

★★☆☆½ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jul 11, 2018 |
If I was searching for my long-lost twin brother and arrived in a town where everyone mistook me for somebody else, I think I'd figure out that something was up. Just sayin'. ( )
1 vote plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Fast and facile. A Shakespearean sit-com – clever and silly, but with no depth. This one, more than most, I think, needs to be seen performed to be properly appreciated – I imagine all the mix-ups might be quite entertaining, properly acted. Unfortunately I read it, along with a Librivox recording by a cast that included some really talented readers, some who were clearly new to the English language, and a robot. In fairness I'll admit that I'm generally luke-warm on the comedies, aside from “Much Ado, so my lack of enthusiasm probably doesn't say much about the actual merits of this play. ( )
  meandmybooks | Mar 20, 2017 |
Read in high school, thought it was funny. ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
Really excellent insults and figures of speech throughout a ridiculous play. This play should not be performed "straight," or read silently--you need a framing device, or great physical comedy, or *something* to bring it up to the level of Shakespeare's other plays. Because there really isn't much to this farce, and what little substance there is, is a bit sketchy (ah, beating one's slave--hilarity!). Also, I hate mistaken identity stories, so I was prejudiced against this from the start. ( )
1 vote wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Shaw, BryamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simeonov, Asen M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wells, Stanley W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitworth, CharlesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Proceed, Solinus, to procure my fall
And, by the doom of death, end woes and all.
Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast.
This work is for the complete The Comedy of Errors only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Please do not combine The Comedy of Errors (No Fear Shakespeare) with The Comedy of Errors.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743484886, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

· Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

· Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

· Scene-by-scene plot summaries

· A key to famous lines and phrases

· An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

· An essay by a leading Shakespeare scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

· Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Arthur F. Kinney

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe.

In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

One of Shakespeare's comedic works presented in an accessible fashion with many side notes, essays, and explanations.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014071474X, 0141016671

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,080,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible