#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

#GIRLBOSS

by Sophia Amoruso

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: In a similar vein, but better written.

Learn how Sophia went from dumpster diving and shoplifting to founding her own successful online fashion business in less than a decade! Sophia started her women's clothing business as an eBay store while she was working at a dead-end job in San Francisco. Now, she is CEO and creative director of her own online fashion business which generates millions of dollars in sales each year. Part memoir, and part how to start your own business manual, this is a fun and engaging read. Sophia is remarkably candid with her recollections of her shoplifting days, and her story is inspiring for young women. Each chapter also includes a short section from other successful female entrepreneurs who followed their dreams.

Kathleen K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I received a free audiobook of this title from Ford Audiobook Club.

As student who’s always had a high interest in e-commerce, #GirlBoss was thought provoking. Sophia Amoruso went from modern day rags to riches via her clothing e-tailer Nasty Gal. Seemingly, the odds were not in future-GirlBoss-Sophia’s favor. She struggled with ADHD, depression, being an introvert (surprisingly cause I wouldn’t have guessed), and having no continuing education. However, despite her struggles, she turned a hobby means-to-an-end into a passion into a business success story.

That’s not to say that she didn’t sow some illegal wild oats (shoplifting merch to sell), drama, and mistakes along the way. At times she comes off as cutthroat. However, although she advises readers to “never grow up” it seems she grew up, changed for the better, and learned from her missteps.

The book is part autobiography, part instruction on how to be a #GirlBoss. In my opinion, some of the how-to should be taken with a grain of salt since Sophia is an unconventional, non-typical success, similar to the lucky few that make it as rockstars. The section on job interviews seemed particularly confusing, with do’s and don’ts that felt conflicting.

But, overall the book is motivational and empowering for women. I respect Sophia’s unfiltered honesty. Self-learning from mistakes, flexibility, and hard work have certainly paid off for her. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
#GIRLBOSS --the all caps make the title a little intimidating and loud, but the hashtag/pound makes it tacky (probably not tacky the time it was published). This book won an award here in Goodreads and its strong-looking cover made me want to read it. My friends looked at my book wishlist and gave me this for my birthday.

I have no idea what this book was all about so I didn't give any high expectations. At first, I was annoyed with the introductions and the first part of the book. "Is this a book or a company catalogue?" ran to my head. I hate how she relentlessly talks about her brand Nasty Gal. Nasty Gal this, Nasty Gal that. I haven't heard of it. I'm in a different continent, anyway. After some more pages, her words became inspiring. Her experiences became interesting. She gives a lot of advices and shares some experiences. This woman underwent to a lot of experiences. I suddenly understood her and kept up with her bragging rights. I think she deserves it.

This book is not about business. It is not about her whole life.
This book is a glimpse of her milestones in life. This book is like a pep talk or a friend chat. You didn't know you need it. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso
Part business memoir, part entertainment, this book had some practical, usable advice for entry level business workers, primarily female. It also included a lot of funny stories of her life on eBay and the internet. Mostly it stresses that you go your own way and be your own person.

Business books often put me to sleep. This book was entertaining with a positive attitude. I like that. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Feb 27, 2017 |
Didnt hate. Didnt love. Just was bleh. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039916927X, Hardcover)

“A #GIRLBOSS is in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it.”

The first thing Sophia Amoruso sold online wasn’t fashion—it was a stolen book. She spent her teens hitchhiking, committing petty theft, and dumpster diving. By twenty-two, she had resigned herself to employment, but was still broke, directionless, and working a mediocre day job she’d taken for the health insurance.

It was there that Sophia decided to start selling vintage clothes on eBay. Eight years later, she is the founder, CEO, and creative director of Nasty Gal, a $100 million plus online fashion retailer with more than 350 employees. Sophia’s never been a typical CEO, or a typical anything, and she’s written #GIRLBOSS for outsiders (and insiders) seeking a unique path to success, even when that path is winding as all hell and lined with naysayers.

#GIRLBOSS includes Sophia’s story, yet is infinitely bigger than Sophia. It’s deeply personal yet universal. Filled with brazen wake-up calls (“You are not a special snowflake”), cunning and frank observations (“Failure is your invention”), and behind-the-scenes stories from Nasty Gal’s meteoric rise, #GIRLBOSS covers a lot of ground. It proves that being successful isn’t about how popular you were in high school or where you went to college (if you went to college). Rather, success is about trusting your instincts and following your gut, knowing which rules to follow and which to break.

A #GIRLBOSS takes her life seriously without taking herself too seriously. She takes chances and takes responsibility on her own terms. . She knows when to throw punches and when to roll with them. When to button up and when to let her freak flag fly.

As Sophia writes, “I have three pieces of advice I want you to remember: Don’t ever grow up. Don’t become a bore. Don’t let The Man get to you. OK? Cool.  Then let’s do this.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:31 -0400)

"The first thing Sophia Amoruso sold online wasn't fashion - it was a stolen book. She spent her teens hitchhiking, committing petty theft, and dumpster diving. By age twenty-two, she had resigned herself to employment, but was still broke, directionless, and checking IDs in the lobby of an art school--a job she'd taken for the health insurance. It was in that lobby that Sophia decided to start selling vintage clothes on eBay. Flash forward eight years to today, and she's the Founder, CEO and Creative Director of Nasty Gal, a $100+ million online fashion retailer with over 350 employees. Sophia's never been a typical CEO, or a typical anything, and she's written #GIRLBOSS for girls like her: outsiders (and insiders) seeking a unique path to success, even when that path is windy as all hell and lined with naysayers"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,658,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible