Intensity by Dean Koontz

Intensity (1995)

by Dean Koontz

English (50)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (52)
Mother of dog, this book was bad.

Dull and idiotic for the most part. The worst was the never-ending description of the chair escape. It made me want to chew my own arm off in frustration. After four or five paragraphs I started skimming.

Evil dogs that can fight off ammonia in their mouths and eyes? Not in my world. The only redeeming quality of this book might be to show folks that dobermans used to be the go-to dog for evil, not pit-bulls. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Compassion: that inner need urging you to serve others even when it may cost you personally, and self-preservation: the need to avoid harm to self. These are feelings that most people have to some degree every day. You willingly give up a seat to a woman hobbling with a cane entering your subway car. But you later exit the car first because a suspicious person is eyeing your briefcase. These likely happen every day. But what if these two competing forces were brought to a climax at the same time? What if internally your conscience was screaming at you to help someone, but your self-preservation is also screaming that you must find a way to save yourself? This brings you to the height of internal intensity, after all survival is the only way to ensure you can execute the need to save.

This is, in my opinion, the premise of this pulse driving thriller. What is a person capable of when compassion and self-preservation reach such an intensity that both are relentlessly pushing you on? You must save. You must survive. Oh, and the force you're doing battle with? It is also intensely driven by pure evil without any apparent compassion or concern for self-preservation.

This is a book you do not want to put down. In the end you will feel a sense of both exhilaration and exhaustion. Then, finally triumph, but not the triumph you expected throughout the book. ( )
  BrannonSG | Mar 6, 2019 |
4.99

November 20, 2008

449 pgs ( )
  UM3050 | Jan 29, 2018 |
Have read and enjoyed other books by Dean Koontz. This one not so much. It was full of suspense. However, I quickly scanned some of this story as there was a lot of detail that I wanted to get past. It was traditional good versus evil, however, I didn't take to Chyna as a heroine; she didn't ring true. The elk were not explained. ( )
  scot2 | Jul 18, 2017 |
Laura and Chyna are college students and friends. When Chyna goes with Laura to her parents’ place for a weekend, she is awakened the first night by screams. Someone has broken into the house. Chyna hides, then tries to help Laura and her parents without the guy realizing she is there…

Wow! The book is titled well – it was definitely intense! After a brief set-up to the story, it was just bang, bang, bang, one thing after another! I think the audio helped with that. At first, I wasn’t sure I would like the narrator. She spoke quickly and mostly in a monotone, but after it got going, I think she was the perfect narrator for the story and it really highlighted the “intensity” of the book to do it that way. The story alternated between Chyna’s and the intruder’s (Vess’s) points of view. I was briefly uninterested in Vess’s philosophy, and I didn’t agree with some of Chyna’s decisions, but the rest of the story + the audio still made it 5 stars for me. Ever since I started listening to it, I’ve been trying to recommend it to people, but there are so many who don’t read horror! ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 7, 2017 |
Hope is the destination that we seek.
Love is the road that leads to hope.
Courage is the motor that drives us.
We travel out of darkness into faith.

-THE BOOK OF COUNTED SORROWS-
This book if for Florence Koontz. My mother. Long lost. My guardian.
The red sun balances on the highest ramparts of the mountains, and in its waning light, the foothills appear to be ablaze.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582917, Mass Market Paperback)

A young woman staying as a guest in a Napa Valley farmhouse becomes trapped in a fight for survival with a self-proclaimed "homicidal adventurer", and races to warn his next intended victim. Unrelentingly terrifying, this book lives up to its name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0400)

Past midnight, Chyna Shepherd, twenty-six, gazed out a moonlit window, unable to sleep on her first night in the Napa Valley home of her best friend's family. Instinct proves reliable. A murderous sociopath, Edgler Forman Vess, has entered the house, intent on killing everyone inside. Chyna is a survivor, toughened by a lifelong struggle for safety and self-respect. Now she will be tested as never before. At first her sole aim is to get out alive - until, by chance, she learns the identity of Vess's next intended victim, a faraway innocent only she can save.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,658,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible