My Man Blue by Nikki Grimes

My Man Blue (edition 2002)

by Nikki Grimes, Jerome Lagarrigue (Illustrator)

Member:thomasandmary
Title:My Man Blue
Authors:Nikki Grimes
Other authors:Jerome Lagarrigue (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2002), Hardcover, 30 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children's, poetry

My Man Blue by Nikki Grimes

Grimes uses a really neat mixed method for crafting a different rhyme for each 2-page spread, each poem about how Blue guides the little boy through life and looks out for him, cares about him, and shows him what 'being a man' can look like. Blue isn't this boy's biological father, but he pays attention to the boy and keeps an eye out for him. It's believable that having that one, consistent different image of masculinity could be so influential in a boy's life.

In words, this is a story about a little boy building a sweet friendship with an adult man who has started dating his mom; it's a story about fatherhood; it's a story about masculinity-- the teaching, learning, and living thereof. In pictures, it's all of those things but more-- the adult man, called "Blue," isn't the typical picture we see in children's books (or TV or movies, for that matter) that portrays a type of emotional, gentle, kind masculinity.

"A bully
kicks me in the knee.
That bully's name
is Tiffany.
I fume
but I don't return the blow.
Guys don't hit girls
they're all wrong.
It's guys
who don't hit girls
Who're strong."

The illustrations seem to intentionally cast Blue as someone who wouldn't otherwise be spotted as the caring father figure, and Grimes' poetry explains the multi-dimensional person beneath the clothes and sunglasses. Blue provides another option for what masculinity has to look like.

"One day
Says he cares
And shows it.
The one who
Flashes gold
Every time he smiles." ( )
  jamdwhitt | Apr 5, 2015 |
This book is filled with poems about the life of a boy growing up in the inner city. It displays how choosing right over wrong is so important even when faced with peer pressure. Great book to share with youth. ( )
  mhilary | Mar 14, 2015 |
Poems about a father and son and how the father helps the son.
  tina265 | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book is in poetry form about the friendship between a young boy and his friend Blue, who on the outside looks questionable, but is really a sincere and nice man. ( )
  LainaBourgeois | Mar 14, 2012 |
This is a wonderful example of a realistic fiction book. Everything that happens in the story could happen in real life, and the characters and setting are totally believable. No part of the plot line seems over-exaggerated, or out of the ordinary. The theme of family and sticking together is obvious and presented strong throughout the story. ( )
  Leah08 | Jan 14, 2011 |
For Evan and Bryan Green, two wonderful sources of inspiration. N.G.
For Lillian and Jean Lagarrigue. Thanks to "Bam Bam" and Earles Field for having inspired me. To my entire family and close ones. J.L.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142301973, Paperback)

Blue lost one boy to the streets and is determined that this time will be different. And Damon knows that even though he's the "man of the house," there's room for a friend like Blue in his life. At the end of the day, Damon has someone standing steadfast in his corner. Someone true . . . like Blue. Nikki Grimes's moving poems and Jerome Lagarrigue's bold paintings create an emotional and realistic bond of friendship between a man and a boy in a rough world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

A collection of poems describes a young boy's life with his working mother as he establishes his own identity and develops a close relationship with his mother's friend, Blue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,871,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible