My Man Blue by Nikki Grimes

My Man Blue (edition 2002)

by Nikki Grimes, Jerome Lagarrigue (Illustrator)

Member:thomasandmary
Title:My Man Blue
Authors:Nikki Grimes
Other authors:Jerome Lagarrigue (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (2002), Hardcover, 30 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children's, poetry

My Man Blue by Nikki Grimes

"My Man Blue" by writer Nikki Grimes and illustrator Jerome Lagarrigue is a collection of poems. The collection is brought out by unique artwork with the detail sticking out of the canvas from the acrylic paint. Each poem with a title accompanying it speaks of a boy's life when a guy, who is an old friend of his mom, moves back into the neighborhood. The boy is at first reluctant of this guy, called Blue. But when the poem reveals Blue lost his son, the boy, who lost his dad, starts to understand why he is around. The poems, from then on, shows how the boy grows closer to Blue. The poems shows Blue's positive influence on the boy. He starts to keep his composure, or figuring out situations by thinking "what would Blue do?" or " Blue says..." These are a set of poems that describes a boy gaining a new father-figure in his life, a role model to look up to. This guy built like a boxer, with gold teeth, named Blue, is who the boy wants to be like when he grows up; and the poems tell this beautifully. ( )
  Jtreed | Feb 24, 2016 |
A story about a boy with an absent father who finds a friend in a neighborhood elder who teaches him what is means to be a strong man. This story is told in rythm and poems.
  VLYNNEREESE | Feb 18, 2016 |
This poem book tells the story of a boy who becomes friends with a man named Blue after his father passes away. It takes readers through strugges of the african amican culture. I enjoy this piece because even though it is about hardships, it is also motivational. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 28, 2015 |
Grimes uses a really neat mixed method for crafting a different rhyme for each 2-page spread, each poem about how Blue guides the little boy through life and looks out for him, cares about him, and shows him what 'being a man' can look like. Blue isn't this boy's biological father, but he pays attention to the boy and keeps an eye out for him. It's believable that having that one, consistent different image of masculinity could be so influential in a boy's life.

In words, this is a story about a little boy building a sweet friendship with an adult man who has started dating his mom; it's a story about fatherhood; it's a story about masculinity-- the teaching, learning, and living thereof. In pictures, it's all of those things but more-- the adult man, called "Blue," isn't the typical picture we see in children's books (or TV or movies, for that matter) that portrays a type of emotional, gentle, kind masculinity.

"A bully
kicks me in the knee.
That bully's name
is Tiffany.
I fume
but I don't return the blow.
Guys don't hit girls
they're all wrong.
It's guys
who don't hit girls
Who're strong."

The illustrations seem to intentionally cast Blue as someone who wouldn't otherwise be spotted as the caring father figure, and Grimes' poetry explains the multi-dimensional person beneath the clothes and sunglasses. Blue provides another option for what masculinity has to look like.

"One day
Says he cares
And shows it.
The one who
Flashes gold
Every time he smiles." ( )
  jamdwhitt | Apr 5, 2015 |
This book is filled with poems about the life of a boy growing up in the inner city. It displays how choosing right over wrong is so important even when faced with peer pressure. Great book to share with youth. ( )
  mhilary | Mar 14, 2015 |
For Evan and Bryan Green, two wonderful sources of inspiration. N.G.
For Lillian and Jean Lagarrigue. Thanks to "Bam Bam" and Earles Field for having inspired me. To my entire family and close ones. J.L.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142301973, Paperback)

Blue lost one boy to the streets and is determined that this time will be different. And Damon knows that even though he's the "man of the house," there's room for a friend like Blue in his life. At the end of the day, Damon has someone standing steadfast in his corner. Someone true . . . like Blue. Nikki Grimes's moving poems and Jerome Lagarrigue's bold paintings create an emotional and realistic bond of friendship between a man and a boy in a rough world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

A collection of poems describes a young boy's life with his working mother as he establishes his own identity and develops a close relationship with his mother's friend, Blue.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,601,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible