The Metaxy Project by Layton Green

The Metaxy Project

by Layton Green

I was lucky enough to receive this book from the author; this was the first time I have read Layton Green. I will read more Layton Green and look forward to his Dominic Grey and Viktor Redek series.

The Metaxy Project is a great book that makes the paranormal and agnostic faith tangible to the reader.

Layton Green takes time to flesh out the characters in the first quarter of the book. The details at time became tedious and I thought, "Man, I should not have chosen this book, and the author wants me to review it." Layton Green's use of cliche stilted the voice of his characters; the dialogue at times was melodramatic and made me cringe. However the author's use of dialogue improved as the action took flight.

Green does a great job at setting up these believable characters in unbelievable circumstances. I could feel the stress that Gemma felt in providing for her sick child, and became enraptured with her character.

The setting of Atlanta is described expertly and one can envision the complexity of the monstrous city. The author knows Atlanta and can show the reader its various facets.

I had a hard time, in fact, putting the book down during the chilling climax. I will read more Layton Green. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
An intriguing book with a mix of conspiracy theories and the paranormal. Intense writing in that I had to stop at times to take a breath! ( )
  missy1129 | Aug 28, 2014 |
Layton Green's The Metaxy Project makes brilliant use of an old-style sci-fi narrative framework to tell a definitively postmodern tale. From the non-linear narrative which opens in first person present to the engaging, segmented first person recollection of the main narrative, I found myself caught and intrigued. Some of the metaphysical elements felt old hat, familiar tokens one might find in any typical conspiracy theorist, but they were handled in a fresh and interesting way. The characters were beyond likeable, and even a little loveable. By the end, I was definitely rooting for the protagonist. And, the ending was entirely satisfying.

There are some adult situations (both violence and sex) but these were deftly handled so as to create the right mood with minimal graphic language. I definitely appreciated that aspect of the text. The author's treatment of inner-city poverty was especially compelling and well-done. ( )
  lifetone | Jun 1, 2014 |

THE METAXY PROJECT

From the bestselling author of the Dominic Grey series comes a new novel that is part legal thriller, part psychological mystery, and 100% dark and riveting suspense…

Rising above a hardscrabble childhood to become a star at one of Atlanta’s most prestigious law firms, Derek Miller is reliving The Great Gatsby in his own backyard. The spell is broken, however, when Derek’s investigation into the death of his mentor, a prominent psychologist, runs afoul of a mysterious government project involving research into psychic phenomena.

As Derek digs deeper, convinced his mentor was murdered, he is plunged into a rabbit hole of government experiments, clandestine figures, and supposed paranormal events. His investigation also puts him at odds with shadowy forces deep within the corridors of power—including those on the top floor of his own law firm.

With his career in shambles, a warrant out for his arrest, and his life in jeopardy, Derek is running out of time to unravel the secrets surrounding his mentor’s research. And if he fails, it’s not just his own life that will be at risk, but the lives of those he holds most dear.

From a theoretical physicist to a clairvoyant housewife to the charismatic pastor of a mega-church, from lavish Southern mansions to desperate urban wasteland, Derek’s investigation turns into a race for survival that hinges on one thing alone: finding, and stopping, the most powerful psychic the world has ever seen.

Praise for The Works of Layton Green

The Diabolist

“Part international thriller, part philosophic treatise on good and evil, part intricate, unforgettable nightmare-inducing fever dream, THE DIABOLIST has everything you want from a thriller. Layton Green is a master of intellectual suspense.”
—JT Ellison, bestselling author of EDGE OF BLACK

“[A] story that will move you to the edge of your seat.”
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

“The confines of a page are not enough for Layton Green’s writing. His work begs to be translated into 100-foot high IMAX images, rendered in 3D, and given a score by Hanz Zimmer”
Biblioteca

“A well-crafted and exciting thriller with a pair of interesting protagonists… and a charismatic villain who makes our skin crawl.”
—Booklist

The Egyptian

“Stirring and imaginative, with an engaging premise that is briskly paced. Both the characters in the story and the reader are in for a wild ride.”
—Steve Berry, New York Times bestselling writer of The King’s Deception

“Wow. Layton Green has become the new master of gripping, chilling, and suspenseful stories.”
Two Readers Reviews

“I do believe Layton Green has moved into my top 5 author category—not an easy feat to attain!”
A Novel Source

“Layton Green is an absolutely brilliant writer.”
Everything To Do With Books

The Summoner

The Summoner is one of those books that make you want to turn on all the lights in your house and lock the doors… The settings are authentic and you can feel and smell the countryside… This is a wonderful read for those who enjoy both suspense and action stories.”
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

“Mystical, complicated, completely believable and terrifying… [w]ith an ending that will catapult you out of your reading chair. Riveting.”
The Review Broads

“Favorite book of the year so far.”
A Novel Source

“A blend of action, history, anthropology, thrills, and chills, all delivered with a mature, polished voice. I am eager for more from this author.”
—Scott Nicholson, Bestselling Author

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:08 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Layton Green's book The Metaxy Project was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Layton Green is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible