The cunning man by Robertson Davies

The cunning man (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Robertson Davies

1,153167,062 (3.89)1 / 20
Member:buriedinprint
Title:The cunning man
Authors:Robertson Davies
Info:London : Penguin Books, 1995, c1994.
Collections:Your library, CanLit
Tags:to-read, canlit, series, toronto

The Cunning Man by Robertson Davies (1994)

An engaging novel with intriguing characters and a filament of mystery running through the center. While not as good as The Deptford Trilogy in my opinion, The Cunning Man is less of a commitment and still a fair taste of what Davies has to offer. Robertson Davies probably isn’t for everyone, but if he ends up being for you, though, you’re in for a treat!

Full thoughts are posted on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | May 9, 2014 |
Much good material, but not as good as Davies other works. ( )
  JasondinAlt | Apr 28, 2014 |
A disappointment. This book came very highly recommended but the whole time I was reading, I kept thinking "Are we going anywhere with this?" There were several interesting characters but they just kept wandering around. Chips' letters from Glebe House were brilliant but I found the fake footnotes describing her illustrations incredibly annoying. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
I loved this slow philosophical meandering story and I hope to read some of the authors earlier works. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
"This is a wise, humane and consistently entertaining novel. Robertson Davies's skill and curiosity are as agile as ever, and his store of incidental knowledge is a constant pleasure. Long may he continue to divert us."

Cunning men, wizards, and white witches, as they call them, in every village, which, if they be sought unto, will help almost all infirmities of body and mind.... The body's mischief's, as Plato proves, proceed from the soul: and if the mind be not first satisfied, the body can never be cured.

Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621)
For Brenda, and our daughters Miranda, Jennifer and Rosamond
Should I have taken the false teeth?
In my experience snobbery sometimes means no more than a rejection of what is truly inferior, and if mankind had never been fastidious I do not suppose that haute cuisine would ever have displaced hunks of meat parched over a smoky fire.
My great book I had decided to call The Anatomy of Fiction ... It would, of course, be a work of extrapolation, working from the known, as given by the author about an imaginary (but not therefore unreal) character, to well-researched and intelligently guessed-at elements which the author was probably aware of but which the conventions of his time did not permit him to describe. As a doctor, I could not conceive that he might have chosen to omit such details from reasons of literary choice; surely the health, physical state, and living conditions of his characters would be of absorbing interest to him? ... A commentary, a sort of footnote to that part of the Divine Drama in which Fiction has a place.
Why did Micawber lose his hair? Want of kerotin? ... What did Jane Eyre, as a governess in a gentleman's house, get to eat? ... What conclusions can we draw about the menstrual cycle of Emma Bovary? How did Nana avoid having babies? ... Only a partial estimate can be made of the quality of a life unless we know something about the defecatory habits of the patient. ... What was the condition of Miss Havisham's bowels, sitting all day in a wheelchair as she did? Intestinal stasis can have a profound influence on the personality. ... many women in fiction spent a great part of their life on sofas. Why? What ailed them? ... To deal with the Boozer in Lit. would mean that I should have to embark on a work of many volumes.... What do people die of, in fiction? Children frequently ... have no clear symptoms, and seem to die of Ingrowing Virtue. Would it be possible to define in broad medical terms something that could be called Heroine's Disease ...?"
Because of that duplicitous little miss Ellen Ternan, Dickens managed to make an astonishing number of people other than himself miserable, and unlike Ibsen or Trollope [who also fell for much younger women] he wanted a physical fulfilment of his daft passion. Whether he got it or not remains a mystery; photographs of Miss Ternan do not suggest a passionate or even a normally warm nature.

Following the mysterious death of Father Hobbs at the high altar on Good Friday, holistic doctor Jonathan Hullah takes a critical look at his past and at the individuals who shaped his life, and reevaluates his personal philosophies. Reprint. NYT.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

The story of Dr. Jonathan Hullah, a doctor practicing holistic healing. It chronicles his youth, including an incident in the Canadian bush where his life was saved by an Indian shaman, and describes his World War II years in the course of which he decided to practice holistic medicine. A look at the connection between spirit and body. By the author of The Rebel Angels.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible