The Silver Witch: A Novel by Paula Brackston

The Silver Witch: A Novel (2015)

by Paula Brackston

Well, I liked it, but didn't love it, for the following:

The editing wasn't great.
The relationship with Dylan was a bit pathetic, really.
The pros were a lot flowery for my taste.
And, it seemed to take forever to get to it!
The switching back and forth in time wasn't my cup of tea.
While I was able to get attached to Tilda, I didn't give two frogs about Seren, so I found her bits necessary, but not very enjoyable.

Good bits?

I loved the idea of the thing.
I did get attached to Tilda.
Thistle was brilliant.
Wales.
It was a fast read, whenever I was on the Tilda bits, it really moved.
Super Powers rock. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Ceramic artist Tilda Fordwell has moved into the Cottage in Welsh that she and her husband had purchased. But sadly they never got to live there. One year before Matt died in a traffic accident, but Tilda hopes that the lovely cottage and the peaceful surrounding will be good for her. But strange things start to happen after a while, electrical shorts outs and visions. Is there something, someone from the past that is reaching out to her?

I read The Midnight Witch last year, but I couldn't really take to it. The story didn't work for me, but this book; the parallel storyline with Tilda in the present time and Seren in the past work well for me. I liked how the two stories were linked to each other and I enjoyed both stories and how the events in the past influenced in the future. I was I admit a bit enjoyed sometimes with Seren and Prince Brynach. Mostly how blind he was about the danger they were in despite how Seren warned him. She's a god damn seeress, but he seemed to listen tp her only when he wanted to. And frankly, I could understand Brynach wife for being angry with Seren.

In the present time, Tilda is trying to figure out why she is having "power" and what the visions means and I found it intriguing to learn more of the past from her point of view at the same time reading about it as Seren is living it.

I liked the book, but I didn't love it. It was enjoyable to read, but it wasn't really a book that had an impact on me. I liked Tilda's story best I think, I found it more interesting and I was never annoyed with her as I was with Seren and Prince Brynach. Tilda and Dylan's relationship worked for me in that it didn't felt rushed. And, reading the ending made me wondering if them meeting perhaps was meant to be...

Thanks to Little, Brown Book Group and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
My first book by this author. I look forward to reading more of her work. A little fantasy, action, romance, and mystery all wrapped up in one great story. It's definitely worth a read. ( )
  reginaplove | Sep 9, 2018 |
Beautifully written story. was very slow. ( )
  murphyrules | Feb 23, 2018 |
Not my cup of tea. 30 some odd pages into it and quit.
  Alphawoman | Oct 18, 2017 |
For my mum
Prologue:  It is as if she has always known that one day it would come to this.

"A year after her husband's sudden death, ceramic artist Tilda Fordwells finally moves into the secluded Welsh cottage that was to be their new home. She hopes that the tranquil surroundings will help ease her grief, and lessen her disturbing visions of Mat's death. Instead, the lake in the valley below her cottage seems to spark something dormant in her a sensitivity, and a power of some sort. Animals are drawn to her, electricity shorts out when she's near, and strangest of all, she sees a new vision; a boatful of ancient people approaching her across the water. On this same lake in Celtic times lived Seren, a witch and shaman. She was respected but feared, kept separate from the community for her strange looks. When a vision came to her of the Prince amid a nest of vipers she warned of betrayal from one of his own. Prince Brynach both loved and revered her, but could not believe someone close to him wished him harm, even as the danger grew. In her own time, Tilda's grief begins to fade beside her newfound powers and a fresh love. When she explores the lake's ancient magic and her own she discovers Seren, the woman in her vision of the boat. Their two lives strangely mirror each other's, suggesting a strong connection between the women. As Tilda comes under threat from a dark power, one reminiscent of Seren's prophecy, she must rely on Seren and ancient magic if death and disaster is not to shatter her life once more. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,491,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible