Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of…

Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life

by Irwin Kula

I loved the title of this book, especially the idea of the "sacred messiness of life." There were parts of this book I loved and related to, and a few parts that I didn't really get, but I suspect that if I reread this book in a few year, I might relate to more of it. And I ended up reading the chapter "Dying for Life" about death and Jewish mourning rituals the same day my great-aunt Jeanette died, which was both strange and appropriate. ( )
  JillKB | Apr 4, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743555597, Audio CD)

"Irwin Kula shows us how to to live our humanness -- the pleasures and the challenges, the messiness and the triumphs -- with a profound acceptance of our desires and foibles and a joy that can only come from understanding." --Deepak Chopra

"Yearning. After twenty-three years as a rabbi, I can think of no more defining human experience."

Life can be messy and imperfect. Were all looking for answers. And yet, as renowned rabbi Irwin Kula points out, the yearning for answers is no different now than it was in the times that gave rise to Moses, Buddha, and Jesus. Far from being a burden, however, these yearnings can themselves become a path to blessing, prompting questions and insights, resulting in new ways of being and believing. In this, his first book, Rabbi Kula takes us on an excursion into the depths of our desires, applying ancient Jewish tradition to seven of our most wonderful yearnings. Merging ancient wisdom with contemporary insights, Rabbi Kula shows how traditional practices can inform and enrich our own search for meaning. More importantly, he invites us to embrace the messiness and complexities of the human experience in order to fully embrace the endless and glorious project of life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

Applying ancient Jewish tradition and wisdom, as well as modern-day insights, to the search for meaning, a rabbi celebrates the complexities and messiness of human experience as a source of inspiration, fulfillment, and faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible