The Accidental Bride (A Big Sky Romance) by…

The Accidental Bride (A Big Sky Romance)

by Denise Hunter

What a fun and memorable story! I loved the chemistry between the two main characters, Shay and Travis. Travis was so open about his true feelings for Shay and I loved how he didn't mind telling and showing Shay how much he loved her. I had a hard time putting this story down until I finished the book. This is book 2 in the "Big Sky Romance" series and they just keep getting better with each story so far. There are many of the same people from "A Cowboy's Touch" (book one) in this story so I highly recommend you read them in the order they were written.

Shay Brandenberger is raising her daughter in Moose Creek, Montana and trying to keep her ranch from being foreclosed. She agrees to play the bride in the Founders' Day wedding reenactment and finds herself walking down the isle to be met by Travis McCoy. Travis was her childhood sweetheart and the man she left town with years ago to get married to; only to be left standing at the courthouse steps while Travis took off for fame and fortune on the Texas rodeo circuit. It is now 14 years later and Travis suddenly appears back in town. Then the two discover that by a very unlikely accident the make-believe vows resulted in a legal marriage. Before Shay can get an annulment Travis comes up with a crazy proposal. Stay married for 6 months and let him prove to her she can trust him now to love her and never leave her and he will help her meet her financial obligation so she won't lose her ranch. As the back of the book says, "If she refuses his offer, she may lose her home. If she accepts, she may lose her heart".

I can understand Shay's reluctance to trust Travis with her heart again and her resistance to him. But Travis knows her so well and knows how to handle her and he is not shy about letting her know his feelings. It was a great love story and I can't wait to get started on the next book in this series, "The Trouble with Cowboys". ( )
  judyg54 | May 25, 2015 |
Shay Brandenberger is too busy trying to make ends meet so she can keep her family ranch to even think about getting involved with another man. Particularly not Travis McCoy who left her at altar when they were both young to go on the rodeo circuit. But when they accidentally end up legally married during a historical reenactment, Travis makes an offer Shay can't refuse. He'll help her get the ranch in order, if she'll just give him a second chance. While Shay doesn't want to risk her heart again, maybe this is God's plan for her life after all.

I don't generally read a lot of Christian fiction but I'm trying to expand my own horizons and the plot of this one was too adorable to turn down. While there is some suspension of disbelief required to believe that the accidental marriage could be legal in any way, the narrative itself is charming. Only one religious object lesson seemed a bit heavy handed to me and more like something I'd expect in a book for a younger audience, the only major fault with the book. I also found some of the farm-related similes a bit over the top but I let it go as part of selling the story as being set in Montana. If you enjoy contemporary Christian romances, this is definitely one I can recommend to try. ( )
  MickyFine | Nov 8, 2014 |
“The Accidental Bride” by Denise Hunter was an enjoyable read. However, the premise of the story, that Shay and Travis McCoy, high school sweethearts were acting in a mock marriage as a part of a reenactment of times past but in reality the marriage was legal after a fourteen year lapse is ludicrous. Down-on-her-luck Shay was left at the altar, so to speak, by Travis during their teenage elopement. Travis wanted to be a rodeo star. Shay ends up marrying someone else, has a child, the husband leaves her. Then he dies, leaving the field wide open for Travis. However she wants none of this. She is a headstrong woman who doesn’t trust Travis. Travis is trying to make up for all the mistakes he’s made with Shay and wants to be married to her in reality. This story just goes back and forth with Shay being stubborn and Travis being all sweet. I’m not sure how much I liked this book. At least it didn’t take any brain power to read and understand it. If you want a light read, then this is for you.

You can find a review for this book at:
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
The Accidental Bride
Denise Hunter

Book Summary: When a wedding reenactment turns real, this cowgirl suddenly finds she’s an accidental bride. Shay Brandenberger is raising her daughter in Moose Creek, Montana on her childhood ranch, nestled against the Yellowstone River. Despite her hard work, she can’t seem to keep her head above water—and now the bank is threatening to foreclose. She prays for a miracle, but the answer she receives is anything but. Having agreed to play the bride in the Founders Day wedding reenactment, Shay is mortified to be greeted at the end of the aisle by none other than Travis McCoy, her high school sweetheart—the man who left her high and dry for fame and fortune on the Texas rodeo circuit. Then the unthinkable happens. Thanks to a well-meaning busy body and an absent minded preacher, the wedding reenactment results in a legal marriage. But before Shay can say annulment, Travis comes up with a crazy proposal. If she refuses his offer, she’ll lose her home. But if she accepts, she may lose her heart. Shay isn’t sure if the recent events are God’s will or just a preacher’s blunder. Will trusting her heart to the man who once shattered it be the worst mistake of her life? Or could their marriage be the best accident that ever happened?
Review: I liked the 2 main characters and thought they had good chemistry. I did think there were almost too many secondary characters at the start of the book and this made it a little more confusing at times to recall who was who. It did get easier to follow as the book continued. I enjoyed the main characters. Shay was tough and did a lot of manual labor and yet was still feminine. Travis was very masculine and yet very sensitive to Shay. It was believable and yet very enjoyable to see how things were going to be resolved. The marriage license that was old and yet still valid seemed unlikely, although it was easy to suspend belief when the story flowed so nicely and the main characters were enjoyable. It was worth the read and the fact that it was a in a series was not a deterrent it was a good stand alone story.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Sep 4, 2012 |
Shay Brandenberger’s life is difficult. She is a single mom, her ranch is close to default, and her relationship record is pitiful. A friend pushes her into participating in a wedding reenactment where the groom turns out to be the man who left her at the alter years ago. The situation turns serious when the reenactment turns out to be a legal marriage. Travis McCoy, the groom, returned specifically to attempt to reconnect with Shay, and decides to take advantage of the accidental marriage. They both seek God’s will in this series of events as it winds through their lives.

Although the premise is farfetched, the story is good clean fun. Both main characters wrestle with real life problems and well described characters. I particularly liked the couple seeking the Lord’s guidance and striving toward unity as they work through their personal feelings and problems. I rate this an above average romance.

Received Galley from NetGalley.com ( )
  Glenajo | Feb 5, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158660757X, Paperback)

Mattie Stevens has forgotten about Jeff Weatherly. After all, it's been years since the two were an item...but Grandma certainly remembers. What can Mattie do when Jeff returns to town and Grandma pushes her back toward "the one who got away"? As a successful interior designer, Callie's tired of men who pursue her for her money...so she's said good-bye to love. But Grandma insists she go on just one date with a particular architect - after all, he doesn't like "hard-headed" businesswomen! Will love unexpectedly enter their plans? When Grandma's latest "eligible young man" skips the blind date Chelsea agreed to, Chelsea sends a poisonous E-mail before learning what actually happened. Later, when his company renovates her apartment, she meets the man and finds attraction building. How can she win his heart. ..without divulging her secret of the ugly E-mail? Melissa puts on a wild woman act to drive off the latest blind date Grandma arranged. But wait - who's that guy waiting for her in the living room? Will inline skates help her get on track with the right man? Don't miss these charming stories of reluctant romance, spurred by a grandma who knows God has a perfect love for each of her four granddaughters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

"Two high-school sweethearts, a wedding reenactment, and one absent-minded preacher. Is it a recipe for disaster or a chance for a new beginning? Shay Brandenberger is a survivor. She's lived through a crazy childhood, a failed marriage, and single parenthood-with her confidence intact.But not for long. Because when Shay participates in her town's Founder's Day wedding reenactment, she finds herself face-to-face with the one man who takes her breath away and leaves her weak in the knees: Travis McCoy.Travis is back in town after years way on the rodeo circuit. His one regret in life is breaking Shay's heart when they were high-school sweethearts. He's determined to get it right this time. So when their Founder's Day "marriage" is accidentally made official, Travis seizes the day. Can Shay put aside her pride to let Travis help her, or will their accidental marriage be dissolved before it can begin?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible