Flatbreads & Flavors

by Jeffrey Alford, Naomi Duguid (Author)

"Two people caught in the grip of wanderlust," as Alford and Duguid describe themselves, this American- Canadian pair has traveled for nearly two decades, singly and together, throughout Asia, Europe, the Mediterranean, North Africa, and North America. As they have pursued their passions for travel photography and culinary research, they have found around the world a shared and nourishing element of culture and cuisine: flatbreads, the simplest, oldest, and most marvelously varied form of bread known to humankind. Immersing themselves in local cultures-from the Malaysian island of Penang and the high Himalayan passes of Tibet to the market stalls of Provence and the pueblos of New Mexico -- Adford and Duguid have studied bread baking and cooking with local bakers, in family kitchens, with street vendors, and at neighborhood restaurants and cafes. In Flatbreads and Flavors they share more than sixty recipes for flatbreads of every origin and description: tortillas from Mexico, pita from the Middle East, naan from Afghanistan, chapatti from India, pizza from Italy, and French fougasse. As well within the eight regional chapters of the book, they provide 150 exuberant recipes for traditional accompaniments to the breads. These include chutneys and curries, salsas and stews, rich samplings of the Mediterranean mezze table and the Scandinavian smorgasbord, and such delectable pairings as Chinese Spicy Cumin Kebabs wrapped in Uighur nan or Lentils with Garlic, Onion, and Tomato spooned onto chapatti. Oven-baked, grilled, fried, skillet-baked, steamed, or even baked beneath the desert sand, flatbreads are a fascinating, satisfying, and simple form that brings wholesome grains into our diet. They can be made from every grain imaginable: wheat, rye, corn, oats, millet, sorghum, teff, rice, buckwheat. They can be unleavened or leavened. They can be made so thin that they become transparent, or they can be two inches thick and sliceable. But Flatbreads and Flavors is not only a book about the original life-sustaining food served around the world since time began, it is also a book about people and places, with vivid images and shared experiences captured in brief prose essays and in Alford and Duguid's own acclaimed photographs. Redolent with the tastes and aromas of the world's hearths, it maps a course through cultures old and intriguing. With clear and patient recipes and special sections defining techniques, ingredients, and equipment, Flatbreads and Flavors makes accessible to the novice and experienced baker alike the simple and satisfying bread baker's art. Flatbreads and Flavors has 8 maps and 16 pages of full-color photographs of breads and their accompaniments. It is a Main Selection of HomeStyle Books a division of Book-of-the-Month Club.… (more)

Bread-making turned into an exciting adventure, geographically and culturally. Whole grains and flour types explained; fairly good directions but be ready to improvise and adjust the ratio of wet and dry ingredients. The recipes lead you to learn about being adaptable in making grain-based yeast products, and above all, how basic it is to enjoying a meal. The recipes are delightfully augmented with directions for spreads, dips and stews. I find inspiration every time I open the book. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Oct 6, 2018 |
I have been making the Panch Dal for years now. I first came across it in a blog and had to buy the book because of it. I was so deeply in love with the authors' voices that I purchased all of their books and have since gotten rid of all but this one and Seductions of Rice. Both books are wonderful travelogues, with great basic recipes. I plan on requiring their bread baking book. ( )
  elka.b | Nov 10, 2017 |
This excellent resource focuses on flatbread traditions around the globe. In addition to
recipes, the text is rich with travel stories and culinary history tidbits
  psumesc | Feb 21, 2011 |
Fascinating! ( )
  SouthShoreAnn | Mar 6, 2010 |
I adore this cookbook. It just evokes wonderful feelings to page through it. (Among other things, it made me aware of Central Asia for pretty much the first time in my life.) I've cooked quite a number of recipes from it. I've actually found them a little unreliable, especially the bread ones, and have learned to be cautious making them so I don't end up with runny dough because I added all the water they suggested. But some items are really stellar: the Ethiopian spice bread, the sunflower seed bread, the chicken and fenugreek stew... the one I've made most is the chickpea and onion stew, incredibly simple but so very good. This book is what made me overcome my hesitations about non-loaf breads and cook up flatbreads as just a normal part of a meal. ( )
  SarahEHWilson | Jul 18, 2009 |

Jeffrey Alfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duguid, NaomiAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We each grew up in tolerant, loving household where curiosity about the world was encouraged and travel was seen as a normal part of life. This book is dedicated to our parents: To Ann and Jack Alford, with love and thanks; and to Robin and Adrian Duguid, remembered with gratitude and love.
This cookbook is in part a journal, a travel diary, a record of events and memories expressed in recipes. (Preface)
We began this book with a passion for flatbreads, in love with the taste of freshly ground grain baked as bread on a hot iron griddle or on the walls of a tandoor oven and intrigued by all the different shapes and textures of flatbreads, all the different ways in which they are cooked and eaten. (Introduction)
The art of making bread involves elements of intuition, of skill and practice, of play and creativity.

recipes, the text is rich with travel stories and culinary history tidbits.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,860,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible