Flatbreads & Flavors by Jeffrey Alford

Flatbreads & Flavors

by Jeffrey Alford, Naomi Duguid (Author)

This excellent resource focuses on flatbread traditions around the globe. In addition to
recipes, the text is rich with travel stories and culinary history tidbits
  psumesc | Feb 21, 2011 |
Fascinating! ( )
  SouthShoreAnn | Mar 6, 2010 |
I adore this cookbook. It just evokes wonderful feelings to page through it. (Among other things, it made me aware of Central Asia for pretty much the first time in my life.) I've cooked quite a number of recipes from it. I've actually found them a little unreliable, especially the bread ones, and have learned to be cautious making them so I don't end up with runny dough because I added all the water they suggested. But some items are really stellar: the Ethiopian spice bread, the sunflower seed bread, the chicken and fenugreek stew... the one I've made most is the chickpea and onion stew, incredibly simple but so very good. This book is what made me overcome my hesitations about non-loaf breads and cook up flatbreads as just a normal part of a meal. ( )
  SarahEHWilson | Jul 18, 2009 |
Wonderful recipes, wonderful stories, wonderful pictures. I don't think 5 stars are enough. If there is one disadvantage it is that it is too big and heavy to cart around, or even to fit on the counter in my tiny kitchen. I use it frequently. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | May 26, 2008 |
A travelogue, really. Has many interesting recipes, both for breads and for things to eat with bread. ( )
  oriboaz | May 5, 2008 |

Jeffrey Alfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duguid, NaomiAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We each grew up in tolerant, loving household where curiosity about the world was encouraged and travel was seen as a normal part of life. This book is dedicated to our parents: To Ann and Jack Alford, with love and thanks; and to Robin and Adrian Duguid, remembered with gratitude and love.
This cookbook is in part a journal, a travel diary, a record of events and memories expressed in recipes. (Preface)
We began this book with a passion for flatbreads, in love with the taste of freshly ground grain baked as bread on a hot iron griddle or on the walls of a tandoor oven and intrigued by all the different shapes and textures of flatbreads, all the different ways in which they are cooked and eaten. (Introduction)
The art of making bread involves elements of intuition, of skill and practice, of play and creativity.

recipes, the text is rich with travel stories and culinary history tidbits.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688114113, Hardcover)

An amazing cookbook that travels to the furthest reaches of the world to celebrate flatbreads with over the recipes for a myriad of breads, including Afghani naan, Mexican tortilla, French fougasse, Middle Eastern pita, and Armenian lavash. Hungry for something to go with all that bread? The authors include another 150 recipes for traditional accompaniments. How about a Scandinavian smorgasbord, tomatillo salsa with arbol chiles, Nepali green chile chutney, Ethiopian beef tartar, or Yemeni stew?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible